Office of International Students and Scholars

Welcome to the University of Rhode Island Community

Tax Info

Tax Information:

All non-immigrants need to file taxes with the Internal Revenue Service/IRS. The OISS is not in the position to respond to tax questions. We recommend that you review U.S. Tax Guide for International Workers’ Returns to inform yourself about the process.

If you are exempted from filing federal and/or state tax forms, you must still complete Form 8843. Instructions guiding you in how to complete this form appear in pages 3 and 4.

The deadline to file taxes, every year, is April 15. Below you will find important links to help you comply with this requirement.

Federal Income Tax Forms – Non-Resident Alien Tax Forms:

  • 1040 NR-EZ: U.S. Income Tax Return for Certain Non-Resident Aliens With No Dependents

  • 1040 NR-EZ Instructions: Download this file to view the tax table to check how much tax you have to pay.

  • 1040 nr: U.S. Non-Resident Alien Income Tax Return Form. File this form if you have dependents
    • 1040-ES(NR): U.S. Estimated Tax for Non-Resident Alien Individuals
Rhode Island State Income Tax Forms and Instructions
  • Non-Resident Alien Tax Forms

    1. RI 1040NR: Quick Links – Rhode Island Tax form for Non-Resident Alien Individuals

To obtain other Rhode Island tax forms, please go to: Rhode Island Division of Taxation.

Additional Tax Help
International students, including those from Canada and Mexico, are subject to the same tax filing requirements and rules as U.S. citizens. However there are exceptions that vary from country to country and are discussed in detail in IRS Publication 901 which references U.S. Tax Treaties with other countries. Other helpful IRS publications for international students are Publication 515 and Publication 519.

Unlike resident aliens, non-resident aliens undergraduate and graduate students who receive financial aid in the form or scholarships, fellowships, and grants must report them on IRS form 1042 or 1042S regardless of the amount. There is an exception to this rule for funds which do not originate in the U.S.

For more information on this topic, visit: and free-tax-help

Think Big We Do

Copyright © 2015 University of Rhode Island.