Getting Started with BigBlueButton
- What Is BigBlueButton?
- Where can I access the BigBlueButton?
- How do I add the Meetings tool in Sakai?
- Is BigBlueButton accessible to users with disabillites?
- Support and video tutorials
What is BigBlueButton?
BigBlueButton is a webconferencing meeting tool in Sakai that provides real-time sharing of audio, video, slides, chat, and screen. Students are engaged through sharing of emoji icons, polling, and breakout rooms.
Watch an overview video to learn more about BigBlueButton
Where can I access the BigBlueButton?
When you access the Meetings tool in Sakai, you are launching a webconferencing application called BigBlueButton.
The Meetings tool is not one of the defaulted tools in Sakai so instructors need to manually add the tool to course sites.
How do I add the Meetings tool in Sakai?
Site Info___Manage tools___Meetings__Continue__Finish
Sakai Meetings tool is an integration of the BigBlueButton (BBB) Open Source software with our Sakai Learning Management System. The Meetings tool is hosted on a remote Blindside Networks server. Using BBB allows faculty Sakai users to easily create, manage and join meetings from a Sakai worksite.
This integration provides the following capabilities:
*Control meetings – create/edit/update/delete BBB meetings from Sakai.
*Meeting access – define meeting access by selecting all users, groups, roles or individual users in site.
*Tool access – define who can do what in the Sakai tool.
*Scheduling – optionally, define meeting start dates and/or end dates and add it to site Calendar.
*Notification – optionally, send an email notification to meeting participants.
*Statistics – the tool logs information automatically processed by the Site Stats tool
Is BigBlueButton Accessible?
Please find more information about BigBlueButton’s accessibility features here.
Where can I find support documents and video tutorials?
Find more support and video tutorials on BigBlueButton’s website.
Getting Started with WEBEX
- What is WebEx?
- Request a URI Webex Account
- Browser Specs
- Attend a Webex session
- Attend a session using my mobile device
- Support Tutorials
- Webex Tips and Tricks
Webex is a user-friendly, collaborative, online conferencing tool that provides on-demand collaboration, online meeting, web conferencing and videoconferencing applications. Share video, documents, and presentations on the spot or chose to allow others to view your desktop in real time. Webex offers customized meeting and adjustable tools can allow audio only meetings or webcam meetings. Collaborators can join the meeting using different devices and can adjust output preferences and functionality according to their assigned role.
ITS offers licenses at a substantially discounted rate to all URI departments, colleges, and offices. One license can be shared by a number of co-workers, allowing multiple meetings to be scheduled on any day.Reach out to colleagues, coworkers, and students from the convenience of your office, home, or even a coffee shop anywhere in the world with an Internet connection.
Request a Webex account by contacting UR Telecom Services (401) 874-7071
- Phone number
- Email address
- Chart field string to bill
Cost and Billing to attain a URI WebEx account.
Cost for host account is $252 per year and is billed as a one-time charge to your department’s telecommunication account.
The account allows unlimited meetings with computer audio/video for up to 1000 participants.
Only the host needs to have an account.
Departments can set up a WebEx administrative email account. That account will be tied to the email address of an individual in the department who will maintain control and delegate availability to departmental users. To set up a departmental email account, call the Service Desk at (401)874-4357 or email email@example.com.
To All URI WebEx users:
There is a vulnerability in the WebEx extensions in the Chrome web browser that will leave you open to drive-by attacks that can be carried out by just about any website visited.
This only affects people that added the WebEx extension onto their Chrome web browser. To avoid this you must update your WebEx extension so it is running at least version 1.0.3.
Steps to update your Chrome WebEx extension:
1. Click on the three vertical dot button in the upper right hand corner (Customize and control Google Chrome)
2. Hover over “More Tools” and click on “Extensions”
3. Page down to the Cisco WebEx Extension. If the version is 1.0.3 or higher you are okay.
4. If you have below that level at the top of the page check the box “Developer Mode” and then click on the button “Update extensions now”.
To read further on this issue you can visit the below link:
If you haven’t installed the browser plug-in for WebEx, you will be able to attend a meeting but not hear the audio or participate with a microphone.
Go to the plug-ins for Meeting Center. Use the pull-down menu to select either Mac or PC, and then click the Download button.
The last selection in the list is for the browser plug-ins. If you have been having problems with audio, please be sure to download and install the latest plug-ins.
- Open the invitation or registration email and click the link. Enter your name, email address, and the session password, then click Join Now.
- Navigate to the URI WebEx site, then click “Browse Meetings” in the left column. Click the name of the event you want to join and enter your name, email address, and the event password, then click “Join Now.”
- To join an unlisted event, click Unlisted Events, enter the event number, then click Join Now.
If you have used Webex with your web browser before, you can immediately join the session. If you are new to Webex, or have used it in a different browser, you will be prompted to download a small plug-in that enables you to hear the audio portion of the session. Without this plug-in, you will not be able to attend a full-functioning session.
- Download the Cisco WebEx Meetings app and install it on your device. The app is available for iPhone, iPad, Android phones and tablets, and Windows 8 phones from the appropriate application store for that device (BlackBerry devices excluded).
- If you have a WebEx account, locate the training session on the My Meetings screen.
- If registration is not required tap Join.
- If registration is required, tap Register, then follow the instructions on the registration screen. Once registration is approved, Register changes to Join.
- If you do not have a WebEx Account, you can join a training session using either of these methods:
- Open the invitation email. If registration is not required, tap the link to join. If registration is required, tap the registration link, complete the registration information and tap Register. When you receive the registration confirmation email, tap the link to join.
- Tap WebEx Meetings, then tap Join by Number. Enter the session number, your name and email address. If registration is not required, tap Join. If registration is required, tap Register and follow the instructions on the registration screen. Once registration is approved, Register changes to Join.
Short Videos Clips (around 3 minutes each):
- Welcome to WebEx – The Basics (3-minute video)
- WebEx Meetings (3-minute video)
- Working with Files (3-minute video)
- Productivity Tools for Email (2.5 minute video)
- Benefits of Webex (3-minute video)
Also view support questions in the WebEx community training portal.
WebEx services utilize the audio and video devices understood by your computer’s operating system. This is true for both Microsoft Windows and Mac OS. Multiple devices may be installed on your operating system with OS being the default.
You can install any webcam, microphone, or speaker combination supported by your operating system. The first time you use WebEx, a test of audio capabilities will be performed. You can change your device at any time from the top WebEx menu.
Lost your Webex email invitation link? No worries…
Just go to URI’s Webex Meeting Center to search and join the meeting there. Simply enter the session number or if you don’t have it, you may search for a meeting by the host name, topic, or words in the agenda.
- If you can’t remember your username, try your eCampus username. If you can’t remember your password, click the Forgot your password? link, then follow the prompts. You will receive an email from which you can reset your password.
- You can select hosts that you want to allow to schedule meetings on your behalf. You can do this in your Personal Room preferences.
- Want to lock your Personal Room automatically or receive notifications when someone is waiting in your Personal Room lobby? You can do this in your preferences.
- You can join or host a WebEx meeting from virtually all mobile devices. Visit the WebEx Mobile Apps site to download the latest version of WebEx software for your tablet or mobile device.
- During your Webex, before you click a button or choose a menu item, briefly pause your mouse over the object to call attention to the item.
- Your archived Webex videos count against the URI storage quota, so please download any videos to your own computer and share them via another server. Directions on how to download are available from the Cisco Webex Support Topics.
- To improve viewing quality for recorded Webex meetings, move your mouse slowly at first then gradually move it faster.
- To improve viewing quality for recorded Webex meetings, set display resolution to 1024 x 768 pixels before recording.
- To improve audio quality during your Webex, set your microphone to the highest level volume possible before distortion
- To improve audio quality, use a headset with microphone for audio. Headsets typically provide better quality than phone handsets or speaker phones.