ITS provides basic technical assistance in the public computing labs and on a walk-in basis at the Help Desk in the URI Library.
You may expect the following type of help from on-site lab assistants:
- Answers to questions regarding telecommunications to ITS-supported computer systems and associated protocol settings
- Information regarding software packages and programs supported by ITS
- Assistance with MacOS, Windows, and UNIX
- Disk and file restoration
- Assistance in obtaining down-loadable software
- Direction to documentation on hardware, software, procedures, policies, and facilities
At the Help Desk, you can help us solve computing problems more quickly:
- Write down and/or look up any pertinent error messages that appear
- Have some familiarity with the system you are using
- Have some familiarity with documentation for the hardware and software being used. Computer education resources and handouts are available.
- Provide supporting information, all error messages produced, and hardcopy listings of interactive problems.
- Be prepared to yield to other users if the problem requires considerable time to resolve.
- Use the telephone only for quick information, network problems, short software or hardware questions, and to schedule an appointment with a specialist.