Below you will find all the information you need to enroll in the J Term course perfect for you, including important dates, courses and credits, tuition and financial aid, and other URI resources available to you as a J Term student.
Still have questions? Email John Olerio at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the Winter J Term?
J Term is an academic mini-semester over winter break (the approximately three-week period between January 2 and the day before the spring semester begins) that consists of credit-bearing courses that offer new value-added experiences to students not possible during standard semesters and/or allow students to catch up or retake certain courses.
What are important dates for the January 2016 Term?
- Registration for off-campus programs is now closed.
- Registration for on-campus courses is live on eCampus and will run through Monday, January 4, 2016
- Classes begin Monday, January 4, 2016
- Classes end Friday, January 22, 2016
- Grades are due in eCampus by Monday, January 25, 2016
I do not attend URI full time. Can I take a J Term course?
Yes! Here’s how:
- Download and complete the Non-Degree Application Form. Submit your completed form to URI Enrollment Services by following the instructions listed on the second page of the form.
- Within 3 business days of the submission of your application form, you will receive your URI Student ID# from a representative of the University. You will need this to register for eCampus, URI’s online module that allows you to organize all the many academic facets of student life (course registration, tuition payments, keeping track of final grades, etc). To create your eCampus account, visit http://web.uri.edu/ecampus/ and click on the “First Time Users Register Here” link on the left-hand side of your screen. You will be prompted to create a username and password.
- Use the “Class Search” function on your eCampus homepage to find a 2016 Winter J Term class that is perfect for you. You will be able to register for any J Term course marked with a green circle. Please note that some courses require a permission number and you will need to email email@example.com to receive one. A tutorial for the “Class Search” function can be found here: http://www.uri.edu/es/tutorials/UsingClassSearch.html
- Setup your my.uri.edu email account. To access your my.uri.edu email account, visit http://www.uri.edu/news/myuri/ after completing your eCampus registration and click on the “LOG IN TO MY.URI.EDU” button. The username you select for eCampus will also serve as your URI email User ID. Your initial email password will be your birth date (2 numerical digits for month, 2 numerical digits for day and 4 numerical digits for year — with no spaces or punctuation in between). It is strongly recommended that you change this password after your initial login. URI Enrollment Services will use your my.uri.edu email to notify you when your bill has been generated on eCampus. Your professor will use this email address to alert you of important class information and URI administrators will use it for URI Winter J Term notifications.
- Make sure your full-time university or college will accept the credits you earn through the J Term. Your school will have some variation of a “transfer credit form” that you will need to complete and submit. Many schools require proof of equivalency before accepting credits from another university. This often requires a URI course description. You can search all official URI Course Descriptions.
Who are the contacts for the Winter J Term Session?
- John Olerio, main contact – firstname.lastname@example.org or 401-874-2540
- Kelly Watts, for all travel courses – email@example.com
- Dean Libutti – Dean@uri.edu
Courses and Credits
How do I register for a J Term course?
You can see a list of on-campus and online courses here, and they are also listed in eCampus. The term for January, 2016 is January 4 – 22. For most classes, students will not need a permission number if they have met the course requirements and will be able to register through eCampus much the same as any other URI course. All off-campus programs will require an application through the URI Office of International Education. Registration for 2016 Winter J Term off-campus programs is now closed.
What is the maximum number of credits I can earn?
The maximum number of credits that you can enroll in and earn is 4 credits. Courses offered may vary from 1 to 4 credits. Students cannot petition to earn more than 4 credits.
Can I complete my degree in the Winter J Term?
A student can complete the credits required to graduate in the Winter J Term. However, a student cannot graduate in the Winter J Term. Students completing their requirements over the winter term will be eligible to graduate in May. Students in this position can obtain a letter from his/her Dean’s Office stating that they have completed all requirements of their program. A diploma and proof of graduation will not be issued until after the May commencement.
Will I earn a “W” for withdrawing from a Winter J Term course?
How will J Term grades impact my academic standing?
You will not be dismissed as the result of a grade in a Winter J term course. Students academically dismissed at the end of December may stay enrolled in the Winter J Term course. Students on probation, who earn a GPA above 2.0 as the result of the Winter J term will be removed from probation. Due to timing, this will not occur until after the spring semester has begun.
Tuition and Financial Aid
What is the tuition rate for Winter J Term courses?
|Per credit tuition rate*|
* Travel and program fees may apply for various courses.
What is the refund policy?
Students withdrawing from a 2016 Winter J Term course are subject to the following refund schedule:
- Up until midnight on Friday, January 1st: 100%
- Up until midnight on Monday, January 4th: 50%
The last day to drop a course on eCampus will be Monday, January 4th. Students who drop a 2016 Winter J Term course on Saturday, January 2nd, Sunday, January 3rd or Monday, January 4th will still be liable for payment of 50% of tuition and fees related to the course.
Note: The refund policy for travel courses will vary by program and will have a drop deadline much earlier than the above dates.
Is financial aid available?
The Winter J Term is an optional term. The per-credit rate for Winter J Term tuition has been discounted by over 50% from fall and spring rates to help make this term more affordable. For students enrolled and matriculated in a degree program at URI, Limited internal scholarship money will be available, and federal aid may also be available. To apply for Winder J term aid, you will need to:
- make sure you have a completed FAFSA on file with URI, and then
- complete the simple Winter J Term Budget Adjustment Request form.
Students who are eligible for a financial aid refund in the fall or spring terms may choose to use this for Winter J Term expenses.
Are meal plans available for students taking in-person courses?
Detailed information regarding Winter J Term dining services is not available at this time. Be sure to check back later in the fall.
There are always Emporium merchants open that accept cash, credit card, and Ram Account transactions. See a list of Ram Account merchants here.
Is housing available during the Winter J Term?
In support of resident students interested in enrolling in Winter J Term classes this January, current (assigned in the fall and returning in the spring) resident students are eligible to reside in their residence hall room, at no additional charge, for the duration of the Winter J Term. Resident students will be required to register in advance at the URI Housing & Residential Life web site. Please visit the URI Housing & Residential Life website for more details.
Where do I park during my Winter J Term class?
On the Kingston campus, during the Winter J Term period only, students will be allowed to park in the Briar Lane Visitor Lot to attend classes. All URI commuter student parking lots will also be available to Winter J Term students. There will be no parking permit required, nor a fee attached to parking your vehicle on the Kingston Campus during the Winter J Term. However, students planning on attending the following spring semester are required to order a parking permit and to park in the appropriate student lot associated with the obtained permit. Information about parking and parking permits can be found at the URI Parking and Transportation Services website.
Students taking a Winter J Term course in Providence will be contacted before the start of classes by a URI administrator and will receive detailed instructions related to Winter J Term parking. Visit the Feinstein Providence Campus Parking Website for more information.
How will class cancellations for in-person courses be announced?
During the J Term, URI will continue to utilize the URI Alert system to announce any class cancellations or delays.
Will Health Services be open during the Winter J Term?
Health Services will be open daily from 8:00am to 3:30pm, with limited clinical services from 10:30am – 2:30pm daily – Monday through Friday. Please visit the URI Health Services website for further details.
Will the URI Bookstore be open during the Winter J Term?
The bookstore will be open, please visit the URI Bookstore website for daily hours.
Will the URI Library be open during the Winter J Term?
The library will be open, please visit the Carothers Library website for further details.