- Associate Professor of German, Section Head
- Swan Hall 105 Office Hours: Tuesday 9:00 AM- 12:00 PM & By Appointment
- Phone: 401.874.4711
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Mailing Address: Swan Hall 105
Dr. Rarick is an associate professor of German at the University of Rhode Island, which has the second largest German Program in terms of majors in the United States. He teaches all levels of German, including specialized courses for business, science, and engineering majors. He has received the URI Foundation Excellence in Teaching Award, and one of his courses was designated a “Top 10 German Course in the United States” by the Educational Policy Improvement Center’s World Languages Best Practices Course Study. He actively promotes the study of German at the local, state, and national levels and has served on the Executive Committee of the American Association of Teachers of German and is the National Chair of the AATG External Committee for German for Professional Purposes. He has given numerous workshops on teaching German and the pedagogical use of technology for the Goethe Institut, the German Academic Exchange Service, the Rhode Island Foreign Language Association, and the International Engineering Program. In 2006, he founded, launched and developed the open-access, peer-reviewed Online Journal for Global Engineering Education, which has attracted submissions from Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East and the United States. He has published on German literature, mythopoeic reception, international engineering education, and the use of technology in the classroom.
German language pedagogy, applied language instruction, educational technology, technology and engineering, business and scientific German, and interdisciplinary manifestations of 20th century German literature.
Ph.D., Brown University, 1998
A.M., Brown University, 1992
B.S., Birmingham-Southern College 1989
B.A., Birmingham-Southern College 1988
- Rarick, Damon O. “Murderous Art: Serial Killers, Literary Critics, and Süskind’s Das Parfum.” The Rocky Mountain Review 63.2 (Fall 2009): 207-24.
- Rarick, Damon O. “Resuscitating University Language Programs in the Global Age: The International Engineering Program (IEP) at the University of Rhode Island.” ADFL Bulletin 40.3 (2009): 78-87.
- Rarick, Damon O. “Mythic Identities: Greco-Roman mythology in the Creation of GDR National Identity.” Glossen 30 (2010): n. pag.
- Rarick, Damon O. “The Student-Centered Classroom Made Real: Transforming Student Presentations in an Advanced Course on Technical German.” Die Unterrichtspraxis 43.1 (Spring 2010): 162-177.