Bachelor of Arts in Spanish
The requirement for the B.A in Spanish is 30 credits (excluding SPA 101 and 102). If you have no prior knowledge of Spanish, your first course is Spanish 101. If you have taken Spanish before and are not sure at what level to begin your study, contact Zoila Castro, Beginning/Intermediate Spanish Program Coodinator (email@example.com, or call 401-874-7570).
Typically students take the following sequence of courses:
- SPA 101: Beginning Spanish I, and SPA 102: Beginning Spanish II
- SPA 103: Intermediate Spanish I, and SPA 104: Intermediate Spanish II.
- SPA 205: Language & Style I, and SPA 206: Language & Style II.
- SPA 207: Oral Expression in Spanish
- After completion of Spanish 206, students are eligible to take courses at the 300 level
- After completion of a 300 level course, students will be eligible to take 400 level courses.
Minor in Spanish
The requirement for a minor is 18 credits, 12 of which must be at the 200-level or above.
Master of Arts in Spanish
Undergraduate major in Spanish or equivalent, including 12 credits in Spanish or Hispanic-American literature. Qualified students may be admitted with fewer than 12 credits but must make them up without graduate credit.
All work carried out in Spanish. For thesis option, 30 credits including six thesis and research credits. For non-thesis option, 30 credits. All candidates must pass a written comprehensive examination and an oral comprehensive examination. Course work may be completed on campus or through the URI summer study program in Salamanca, Spain, or a combination of both.