Richard Hanson

Professor Emeritus of Landscape Architecture

Fellow – American Society of Landscape Architects

Education

BS, Washington State University, 1963
MLA, Iowa State University, 1966

Professional Background & Research Interests

During my professional career, I was involved in the private, public and academic sectors of the profession. My private practice includes such firms as JJR in Ann Arbor, Michigan; Doxiadis Associates in Washington, D.C.; and JHA in Berkeley, California. My public practice includes the Naval Facility Engineering Command, Washington, D.C.; Iowa State Highway Commission, Ames, Iowa: and Alameda County Flood Control District, California. I have served on the faculties of Michigan State University, The University of Michigan and The University of Rhode Island.

During my private practice career, I served as a consultant to Bechtel, Parsons, and Flour Engineering companies and the Army Corps of Engineers on projects in Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Kuwait and Abu Dhabi.  I was also a consultant on Skywalker Ranch, Mondovi Wineries, numerous golf courses, parks, multi-family residential projects and business parks such as Bishop Ranch Office Park in San Ramon, CA. for which I won first place in a national design competition.  I was a Registered Professional Landscape Architect in the states of Michigan, California and Rhode Island.

I came to URI in 1984 and developed the original Accredited Landscape Architecture program.  We granted the first accredited BLA degree in 1990.  I was instrumental in the merger of Landscape Architecture with Community Planning and Area Development prior to my retirement in 2004.

I was on the Board of Trustees for the ASLA for six years and am a past President of the RI Chapter.  I was elected to Fellow in 1997.

Published Book Chapters

Hanson, R.E. and A. E. Simeoni 1992. ASLA Handbook of Landscape Architectural Construction Materials, Vol. 4, Chapter 3: ‘Concrete’, Weinberg-Coyle, ed. Landscape Architecture Foundation, Washington, D.C.
Simeoni, A.E. and R. E. Hanson 1992. ASLA Handbook of Landscape Architectural Construction Materials, Vol. 4, Chapter 6: ‘Masonry’, Weinberg-Coyle, ed. Landscape Architecture Foundation, Washington, D.C.