About the Center for Student Leadership Development
To enhance the mission of the University of Rhode Island, the Center for Student Leadership Development aims to:
- provide developmental opportunities for all students to become informed, inclusive, effective, and ethical leaders in the global marketplace through the implementation of learner-centered academic, experiential, and co-curricular programming.
- engage in research, assessment, and advancement in order to positively impact the expanding field of leadership studies.
The URI Center for Student Leadership Development will promote dynamic Strengths-based leadership development through multiple delivery methods to prepare students to be competitive in the workplace and global marketplace. The CSLD seeks to progress as innovators for experiential engagement and enriching assessment.
Grounded in the Social Change Model of Leadership Development (Higher Education Research Institute), Relational Leadership Model (Komives, Lucas & McMahon), and Servant Leadership (Greenleaf), the URI Center for Student Leadership Development values:
- engaged and experiential learning through a constructivist approach
- inclusion, social justice and civic engagement
- ethical and value-based leadership and relationship building
- innovative assessment and presentation models