- Access Sakai: https://sakai.uri.edu/portal/
- Change your password
- Sakai QuickStart Guide (PDF)
- How to show, hide, and order your sites on Sakai
- Sakai must be accessed through a high-speed internet connection.
- The recommended web browser for using Sakai is Mozilla Firefox.
- Many Sakai functions will work in Internet Explorer, Safari, and Google Chrome, but having Firefox as backup is still encouraged.
- Browser must allow pop-ups – if you need help with this contact the URI Helpdesk.
- To be sure that Sakai presents the refreshed (latest) views of all pages, please review the cache settings guide.
Word Processing Software
- Documents should be saved in a file format that is easily accessible.
- Microsoft Word 2007 and 2011 default to saving documents as “docx”, you can select “save as doc” in order to make your files available to older Microsoft programs.
- There is a free plugin for Office 2000 and 2003 users to read new file formats.
- Microsoft Works is not recommended, WordPerfect files should be saved as “doc”
- Most word processors can save and view “RTF” files, and “PDFs” are the most reliable way to present documents accurately across computers
- LibreOffice is a free software that saves files as “doc” or “rtf” format
- Additional media players may be required to play content in Sakai courses including: Apple Quicktime, RealPlayer, or Adobe Flash Player.
- Currently, the VLC Media Player is the most versatile free media player.
- Please by sure to keep your media players up-to-date.
- Some media files will play on screen and some will be downloaded to your computer and need to be opened. Check for a download in progress, after which you may need to click the filename to view the media.