About the Libraries
The URI library system includes three branches:
The Robert L. Carothers Library and Learning Commons is our main library, located on the Kingston campus. A quick history:
- Founded in 1892, spread across seven buildings on campus
- 1964: Moved to its present location
- 1976: A two-floor addition was constructed
- 1993: Present structure was completed, with shelf space for 1.4 million volumes and seating for 1,300 readers
- 2000: Mezzanine storage facility was created on Level 3
- May 2009: the building was named in honor of Robert L. Carothers, URI President from 1991 to 2009
- Most recently, in 2011 and 2012, a section of the building was renovated to create a state of the art learning commons facility for fostering undergraduate peer learning and collaboration.
The College of Continuing Education Campus Library is housed in the historic Shepard Building in downtown Providence. The CCE Library has supported the information needs of College of Continuing Education students since 1945.
The Pell Marine Science Library is located on the University’s Narragansett Bay Campus, and opened in 1968. It provides resources and services that support the instructional and research programs at the Bay Campus. The collection emphasizes oceanography, marine biology, fisheries, atmospheric chemistry, and coastal and estuarine habitats.