- Assistant Professor of Music/Music History
- Department of Music
- Phone: 401.874.2796
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailing Address: Department of Music
Fine Arts Center, D103
105 Upper College Road
Kingston, RI 02881
Vilde Aaslid is an assistant professor of music at the University of Rhode Island and teaches courses in music history. Aaslid is an interdisciplinary music scholar with primary research interests in text and improvisation. Her current book project examines the cultural and aesthetic interrelation of improvised music and poetry, building on her dissertation on jazz poetry intersection. Further research interests include music and dance, musical mourning, and Nordic music.
Aaslid’s research on Charles Mingus has been published in the Journal of the Society for American Music. She has presented at national and international conferences, including the American Musicological Society and the Society for American Music. Before coming to URI, Aaslid was a Mellon postdoctoral fellow at Columbia University and has taught at Brooklyn College.
Aaslid is also an active performer of the Norwegian hardanger fiddle, and practitioner of traditional Norwegian singing and dancing.
- PhD in critical and comparative studies of music, University of Virgina
- Master of Music in music history, Washington University
- Bachelor of Arts in music history, Washington University