Graduate Programs

Master of Science Degree

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register for classes and what do I need in order to register?
Registration takes place on e-Campus. The schedule of courses is available on-line at the same site. In order to register, you will need a user I.D. and password for People Soft. Instructions for signing up can be found on the website by clicking “Log onto e-Campus” and then “New Users Register Here.”

Where do I get a new student I.D. and get parking info?
I.D.s are issued in the Access Office of the Memorial Union. The system- assigned I.D. number on your card replaces your social security number for identification purposes. To purchase Parking decals go to: https://www.uri.edu/parking/purchasedecal.html Parking decals info for graduate assistants: https://www.uri.edu/parking/gradassistdecal.html

If I received an admissions letter indicating that my admission was contingent upon submitting further materials such as transcripts and test scores, may I still register?
Yes, at least for the first semester. A service indicator has been placed on your record, however, which will prevent you from registering for subsequent semesters until the requested materials have been submitted.

What if my address and other contact information changes? Who do I notify?
Changes in names, e-mail and postal addresses, as well as phone numbers should be up-dated on e-Campus under SA Self Service and Personal Portfolio. This is important! The Graduate School needs to be able to contact you on a regular basis.

If I took graduate courses as a non-matriculated student (not as part of a degree-program) or at another institution, can they count toward my degree?
Graduate students may transfer up to one-fifth of their total degree requirements (e.g. 6 credits for a 30 credit program).
Advanced standing credits may be used for two-fifths of the total degree requirements (e.g. 12 URI credits as a non-degree candidate toward a 30 degree credit program).
The combination of transfer and advanced standing credits may not exceed two-fifths of the total degree requirements.

When does someone get placed on academic probation and what happens next?
Academic probation occurs when a graduate studentís Grade Point Average falls below a 3.0. You will be placed on provisional status, asked to meet with your advisor, and given a time-table for bringing your average up to good standing. If you are unable to do so, the Graduate Director of your program will be asked to make a recommendation to the Graduate School about continuation or dismissal.

What are the minimum grades I need to get credit for a graduate course?
There is no credit given for grades below a B- at the 400-level and for grades below a C at the 500 and 600-levels.

If I re-take a course and get a higher grade, can the lower grade be removed from my transcript?
No. Both grades will be calculated as a part of your G.P.A.

How long do I have to make up an Incomplete?
Graduate students have one year to make up an Incomplete. Extensions may be granted by the department. However, there is a three year limit to grade changes on transcripts.

Once I am in a program, do I need to enroll every semester?
Yes. Students must be enrolled until they graduate. If all requirements for the degree have been completed and the student only needs to take comprehensive exams in a non-thesis program, is finishing an incomplete, or finishing final copies of the thesis or dissertation, the student should sign up for continuous registration (CRG).

What happens if there is a crisis and I need to take off a semester?
You must apply for a leave of absence. Students who fail to do so will be considered permanently withdrawn and will need to apply for re-enrollment if they wish to return. Re-enrollment will require the payment of back CRG fees.

How long may I stay out on a leave?
There is a four-semester limit on leaves. Leaves may be requested for up to one year at a time, either prior to or early in the semester.

What if I need to withdraw?
Simply complete a withdrawal form. No special permission is needed. If there is a registration lapse of greater than one semester, you are considered voluntarily withdrawn.

What does it mean to be enrolled full-time?
Nine credits per semester (6 credits for graduate assistants). This is required of international students, who must be enrolled full-time until their final semester. At that point, they must request permission for part-time registration. It is also required of all students being supported by graduate or research assistantships. After satisfying qualifying exam requirements, Ph.D. students must be enrolled full-time for two consecutive semesters to meet residency requirements.

How can I learn about important deadlines?
A Deadline Calendar is on the Graduate School web site at: https://www.uri.edu/gsadmis/. Read The Graduate Student Manual and subscribe to the Graduate School listserv. Keep in contact with your Graduate Studies Director, advisor, major professor and other students.

What if I fail my comprehensive exams?
With the permission of the examining committee, students who fail may re-take their exams within ten weeks, but no more than one year, after their first exam. There is only one re-take permitted.

What if I have a complaint about a grade or exam results?
Speak to the professor or chair of the committee. If there is an unresolved issue, go to the department chair or Graduate Studies Director. Further inquiries may be brought to the associate deans of the Graduate School and finally to the ombudsperson. The process for filing academic appeals is outlined in The Graduate Student Manual.