James Miller, ScD, P.E.
- Department of Ocean Engineering
- Phone: 401.874.6540
- Fax: 401.874.6837
- Email: email@example.com
- Mailing Address: 110 Sheets Building
Narragansett Bay Campus
15 Receiving Road
Narragansett, RI 02882
Office: 111 Sheets Building
Dr. Miller is a Professor of Ocean Engineering and Oceanography at the University of Rhode Island. He conducts research and teaches courses in acoustical oceanography, sonar systems engineering, acoustic signal processing, underwater acoustics, marine bio-acoustics, ocean data analysis, modeling, and underwater vehicle design. His interests include the acoustics of ocean sediments, 3D acoustic propagation in shallow water and the effects of sea surface waves on acoustic normal modes. He has done work on the effects of ocean noise on marine animals.
He is a registered Professional Engineer in the State of Rhode Island.
Dr. Miller co-founded FarSounder, Inc. of Warwick, Rhode Island with URI alumnus Matt Zimmerman.
7/08 – 6/11 Chair, Department of Ocean Engineering, URI
7/99 – 1/06 Professor of Ocean Engineering, URI
7/97 Tenure Awarded, URI
8/95 – 8/98 Associate Professor University of Rhode Island, Narragansett, Rhode Island
8/87 – 8/95 Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California
7/92 – 8/95 Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, NPS
7/94 Tenure Awarded, NPS
8/87 – 7/92 Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, NPS
Honors and Activities:
2013 – 2014, President of the Acoustical Society of America
2012 – 2013, President-Elect of the Acoustical Society of America
2007 – 2008, Chair, URI Faculty Senate
2001-present Scientific Advisory Team, Discovery of Sound in the Sea Website
2005 General Chair of the 151st Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America, June 5-9, 2006, Providence, Rhode Island
2004 URI Albert E. Carlotti Faculty Excellence Award for Research
2003-present, Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America
2001-2003 Member of National Academy of Sciences Panel on Noise in the Ocean
2002-2005 Member of NMFS Panel on Acoustic Criteria for Marine Mammals
2000 Member of the ONR External Review Panel for Propagation Modeling for the Bahamas Stranding Event
1999 URI Marshall Award for Faculty Excellence in Engineering
1993 NPS Menneken Faculty Award for Excellence in Scientific Research
1992-1996 Associate Editor for Underwater Sound – Journal of the Acoustical Society of America
2001-2007 URI Diving Control Board
Consultant on underwater acoustics to a number of corporations and government agencies.
Lecturer: ASA Short Courses in Marine Mammal Bioacoustics, 1995 and 1999.
Rhode Island Professional Engineer License No. 9595
6/83 – 8/87
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Cambridge and Woods Hole, Massachusetts
Joint Program in Oceanographic Engineering
Doctor of Science
Dissertation: “Estimation of Sea Surface Wave Spectra Using Acoustic Tomography”
Supervisor: Dr. James F. Lynch.
9/79 – 3/81
Master of Science in Electrical Engineering
Emphasis in Signal Processing.
9/75 – 6/79
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering with Distinction
Emphasis in Control Engineering.
- Crocker, S.E.; Nielsen, P; Miller, J.H.; and Siderius, M. “Geoacoustic inversion of ship radiated noise in shallow water using data from a single hydrophone,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 136 (5), November (2014), doi: 10.1121/1.4898739.
- Gopu R. Potty and James H. Miller, “Measurement and modeling of Scholte wave dispersion in coastal waters,” AIP Conf. Proc. 1495, 500 (2012) ; http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4765948.
- Miller, J. H., Potty, G. R., Vigness-Raposa, K. J., Casagrande, D., Miller, L. A., Nystuen, J. A., Scheifele, P. M. and Clark, J. G. (2012). “Environmental assessment of offshore wind power generation: Effect on a noise budget,” In The Effects of Noise on Aquatic Life (pp. 519-522). Springer New York.
- Crocker, S.E.; Miller, J.H.; Potty, G.R.; Osler, J.C.; Hines, P.C., “Nonlinear Inversion of Acoustic Scalar and Vector Field Transfer Functions,” IEEE J. Ocean. Eng., vol. 37, no.4, pp.589-606, Oct. 2012, doi: 10.1109/JOE.2012.2206852.
- Gopu R. Potty and James H. Miller, “Long Range Sediment Tomography in the East China Sea,” in Shallow Water Acoustics, J. Simmen, E. S. Livingston, J-X Zhou and F-H Li eds., AIP Conference Proceedings, 255-261, 2010.
- S.D. Rajan, G. V. Frisk, K. M. Becker, J.F. Lynch, G. Potty, and J. H. Miller, “Modal inverse techniques for inferring geoacoustic properties in shallow water,” in Important Elements in: Geoacoustic Inversion, Signal Processing, and Reverberation in Underwater Acoustics, A. Tolstoy, ed., Research Signpost, Trivandrum, India, (2008).
- Gopu R. Potty, James H. Miller, Preston Wilson, James F. Lynch, and Arthur Newhall, “Geoacoustic inversion using combustive sound source signals,” EL146 J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 124(3), Pt. 2, September (2008).
- James H. Miller, David L. Bradley, and Jeffrey Nystuen, “Ocean Noise Budgets,” Bioacoustics, 17(1-3), 133-136, (2008).
- Brandon L. Southall, Ann E. Bowles, William T. Ellison, James J. Finneran, Roger L. Gentry, Charles R. Greene Jr., David Kastak, Darlene R. Ketten, James H. Miller, Paul E. Nachtigall, W. John Richardson, Jeanette A. Thomas, Peter L. Tyack, “Marine mammal noise exposure criteria: initial scientific recommendations,” Aquatic Mammals, 33(4), 411-522, (2007).
- Jennifer L. Miksis-Olds, Percy L. Donaghay, James H. Miller, Peter L. Tyack, and Jeffrey Nystuen, “Noise level correlates with manatee use of foraging habitats,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 121: 3011-3020, (2007).
- Jennifer L. Miksis-Olds, Percy L. Donaghay, James H. Miller, Peter L. Tyack, and John E. Reynolds, “Simulated Vessel Approaches Elicit Differential Responses from Manatees,” Marine Mammal Science, 23: 629-649, (2007).
- Miksis, J. L. and J. H. Miller, “Transmission loss in manatee habitats,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 120(4), 2320-2327 2006.
- Knobles, D.P.; Yudichak, T.W.; Koch, R.A.; Cable, P.G.; Miller, J.H.; Potty, G.R., “Inferences on Seabed Acoustics in the East China Sea From Distributed Acoustic Measurements,” IEEE J. Ocean. Eng. , 31 (1), 129 – 144, (2006).
- Lynch, J.F.; Colosi, J.A.; Gawarkiewicz, G.; Duda, T.F.; Pierce, A.D.; Badiey, M.; Katsnelson, B.G.; Miller, J.H.; Siegmann, W.; Chiu, C.-S.; Newhall, A., “Consideration of Fine-Scale Coastal Oceanography and 3-D Acoustics Effects for the ESME Sound Exposure Model,” IEEE J. Ocean. Eng. , 31, (1), 33 – 48, (2006).
- J. H. Miller, L. R. Bartek, G. R. Potty, D. Tang, J. Na, and Y. Qi, “Sediments in the East China Sea,” IEEE J. Oceanic. Eng. 29 (4), 940-951 (2004).
- S. R. Ramp, C.-S. Chiu, F. L. Bahr, Y. Qi, P. H. Dahl, J. H. Miller, J. F. Lynch, R. Zhang, and J. Zhou, “The Shelf-Edge Frontal Structure in the Central East China Sea and Its Impact on Low-Frequency Acoustic Propagation,” IEEE J. Oceanic. Eng. 29 (4), 1011- 1031, (2004).
- G. R. Potty, J. H. Miller, P. H. Dahl, and C. J. Lazauski, “Geoacoustic inversions results from the ASIAEX East China Sea Experiment,” IEEE J. Oceanic. Eng. 29 (4), 1000-1010, (2004).
- P. H. Dahl, R. Zhang, J. H. Miller, L. R. Bartek, Z. Peng, S. R. Ramp, J.-X. Zhou, C.-S. Chiu, J. F. Lynch, J. A. Simmen, and R. C. Spindel, “Overview of Results from the Asian Seas International Acoustics Experiment in the East China Sea,” IEEE J. Oceanic. Eng., 29 (4), 920-928 (2004).
- B. M. Howe and J. H. Miller, “Acoustic sensing for ocean research,” Marine Technology Society Journal, 38, 144-154, (2004).
- G. Frisk, D. Bradley, J. Caldwell, G. D’Spain, J. Gordon, M. Hastings, D. Ketten, J. Miller, D. L. Nelson, A. N. Popper, and D. Wartzok, Ocean Noise and Marine Mammals, National Academy Press, (2003).
- C.-S. Chen, J. H. Miller, G. F. Bourdreaux-Bartels, G. R. Potty, and C. J. Lazauski, “Time-frequency representations for wideband acoustic signals in shallow water,” OCEANS 2003. Proceedings, Volume 5, 22-26 Sept. 2003 Page(s):SP2903 – SP2907, (2003).
- G. R. Potty, and J. H. Miller, “Tomographic mapping of sediments in shallow water,” IEEE J. Oceanic. Eng., 28(2), 186- 191, (2003).
- G. R. Potty, J. H. Miller, and J. F. Lynch, “Inversion for sediment geoacoustic properties at the New England Bight,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 114, 1874-1887 (2003).
- K. B. Smith, C. W. Miller, A. F. D’Agostino, B. Sperry, J. H. Miller, and G. R. Potty, “Three-dimensional propagation effects near the mid-Atlantic Bight shelf break (L),” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 112, 373-376 (2002).
- D. B. Cousins and J. H. Miller, “A model based system for simultaneously estimating bathymetry and sound speed profile characteristics – non-isovelocity simulation results,” Oceans ’02 MTS/IEEE, Volume 2, 29-31 Oct. 2002 Page(s):1098 – 1108, (2002).
- G. R. Potty and J. H. Miller, “Shallow Water Inversions for Geoacoustic Parameters,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Sonar, Sensors, and Systems, vol. 2, 591-597, (2002).
- J. H. Miller and G. Potty, “Non-linear Optimization Techniques in Geoacoustic Tomography,” in Inverse Problems in Underwater Acoustics, (M. Taroudakis and G. Makrakis, eds.), Springer-Verlag, (2001).
- J. H. Miller and D. C. Potter, “Active High Frequency Phased-Array Sonar for Whale Shipstrike Avoidance: Target Strength Measurements,” Proceedings of the IEEE/MTS Oceans 2001, 2104-2107, (2001).
- G. Potty, J. H. Miller, J. F. Lynch, and K. B. Smith, “Tomographic inversion for sediment parameters in shallow water,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am, 108(3), pp. 973-986, (2000).
- J. H. Miller, and G. Potty, “Geoacoustic tomogaphy: range dependent inversions on a single slice,” J. Comp. Acoust., 8(2), pp. 325-345, 2000.
- G. R. Potty and J. H. Miller, “Mapping of geoacoustic properties of sediments in shallow water,” OCEANS 2000 MTS/IEEE Conference and Exhibition, Volume 3, 11-14 Sept. 2000 Page(s):1919 – 1922, (2000).
- D. B. Cousins and J. H. Miller, “A Model-Based System for Simultaneously Estimating Bathymetry and Sound Speed Characteristics – Simulation Results,” Proceedings of the IEEE/MTS Oceans 2000, 213-219. (2000).
- K. B. Smith, Rojas, J.G., Miller, J.H., and Potty, G., “Geoacoustic inversions in shallow water using direct methods and genetic algorithm techniques,” J. Adv. Mar.Sci. Tech. Soc., 4(2), 205-216, (1998).
- J. Lynch, G. Gawarkiewicz, C.S. Chiu, R. Pickart, J. Miller, K. Smith, A. Robinson, K. Brink, R. Beardsley, B. Sperry and G. Potty, “Shelfbreak PRIMER- an integrated acoustic and oceanographic field study in the Middle Atlantic Bight,” in Shallow Water Acoustics, R. Zhang and J. Zhou (eds.), (China Ocean Press, 1997).
- C.-S. Chiu, J.H. Miller, W.W. Denner, “Modeling of Backscatter and Barrier Sonar System Concepts using a Coupled Normal-Mode Approach (U),” J. Underwater Acoust., (1996).
- C.-S. Chiu, J. H. Miller, and J. F. Lynch, “Forward coupled-mode propagation modeling for coastal acoustic tomography,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 99(2) 793-802 (1996).
- A. R. Parsons, R. H. Bourke, R. D. Muench, C.-S. Chiu, J. F. Lynch, J. H. Miller, A. J. Plueddemann, and R. Pawlowicz, “The Barents Sea Polar Front in Summer,” J. Geophys. Res.., 101(C6) 14201-14222, (1996).
- J. F. Lynch, G. Jin, R. Pawlowicz, D. Ray, A. J. Plueddemann C.-S. Chiu, J. H. Miller, R. H. Bourke, A. R. Parsons, “Acoustic travel-time perturbations due to shallow-water internal waves and internal tides in the Barents Sea Polar Front: Theory and experiment,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 99(2) 803-821 (1996).
- G. Jin, J. F. Lynch, C.-S. Chiu, and J. H. Miller, “A theoretical and simulation study of acoustic normal mode coupling effects due to the Barents Sea Polar Front, with applications to acoustic tomography and matched-field processing,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 100(1), 193-205 (1996).
- C.-S. Chiu, J. .H. Miller, W. W. Denner, and J. F. Lynch, “Forward modeling of the Barents Sea tomography vertical array data and inversion highlights,” in Full Field Inversion Methods in Ocean and Seismic Acoustics (O. Diachok, A. Caiti, P. Gerstoft and H. Schmidt editors), Kluwer Academic Publishers, (1995).
- C.-S. Chiu, J. H. Miller, W.W. Denner, J.F. Lynch, ” A Three-Dimensional, Broadband, Coupled Normal-Mode Sound Propagation Modeling Approach,” in Full Field Inversion Methods in Ocean and Seismic Acoustics (O. Diachok, A. Caiti, P. Gerstoft and H. Schmidt editors), Kluwer Academic Publishers, (1995).
- J. H. Miller and J. Franken, “Ocean Acoustic Tomography,” Marineblad, 104(11), 340-345 (1994).
- J. F. Lynch, A. E. Newhall, C.-S. Chiu, and J. H. Miller, “Three dimensional ray acoustics in a realistic ocean” in Oceanography and Acoustics: Prediction and Propagation Models, eds. A. Robinson and D. Lee, AIP Press, 198-232, (1994).
- C.-S. Chiu, A. J. Semtner, C. M. Ort, J. H. Miller, and L. L. Ehret, “Aray variability analysis of sound transmission from Heard Island to California,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 96(4) 2380-2388(1994).
- A. B. Baggeroer, K. Lashkari, J. H. Miller, C.-S. Chiu, P. N. Mikhalevsky, K. Von Der Heydt, “Vertical array receptions off Monterey for the Heard Island Feasibility Test signals,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 96(4) 2395-2413 (1994).
- J. H. Miller, C.-S. Chiu and J. F. Lynch, “Signal Processing for Coastal Acoustic Tomography,” in Theoretical and Computational Acoustics, Volume 2, eds. D. Lee, and M. Schultz, World Scientific, Singapore, 899-916 (1994).
- C.-S. Chiu, J. H. Miller, and J. F. Lynch, “Inverse Techniques for Coastal Acoustic Tomography,” in Theoretical and Computational Acoustics, Volume 2, eds. D. Lee, and M. Schultz, World Scientific, Singapore, 917-931 (1994).
- J. H. Miller, J. F. Lynch, C.-S. Chiu, E. L. Westreich, J. S. Gerber, R. Hippenstiel, and E. Chaulk, “Acoustic measurements of surface gravity wave spectra in Monterey Bay using mode travel time fluctuations,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 94(2), 954-974 (1993).
- K. von Der Heydt, J. Kemp, J. F. Lynch, J. H. Miller, and C.-S. Chiu, “Barents Sea Shallow Water Tomography,” Sea Technology, 34(8), 55-59 (1993).
- R. Hippenstiel, E. Chaulk, and J. H. Miller, “Arrival time tracking of partially resolved acoustic rays with application to ocean acoustic tomography,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 92(3), 1759-1762, (1992).
- J. H. Miller and C.-S. Chiu, “Localization of the sources of short duration acoustic signals,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 92(5), 2997-2999, (1992).
- R. C. Dees, J. H. Miller, K. P. Schaaff, S. Paulsen, C.-S. Chiu, L. L. Ehret and J. F. Lynch, “Signal Processing in the 1988 Monterey Bay Acoustic Tomography Experiment,” in Acoustical Imaging, Volume 18, eds. H. Lee and G. Wade, 441-454, Plenum, (1990).
- J. F. Lynch, J. H. Miller, and C.-S. Chiu, “Phase and travel time variability of adiabatic acoustic normal modes due to scattering from a rough sea surface, with application to shallow water, and high latitude regions,” J.Acoust. Soc. Am., 85(1), 83-89, (1989).
- J. H. Miller, J. F. Lynch, and C.-S. Chiu, “Estimation of sea surface spectra using acoustic tomography,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 86(1), 326-345, (1989).
- J. F. Lynch, R. C. Spindel, C.-S. Chiu, J. H. Miller and T. Birdsall, “Results from the MIZEX ’84 Preliminary Tomography Transmissions: Implications for MIZ, Arctic, and Surface Wave Tomography,” J. Geophys. Res.., 37 (C7), 6869-6885, (1987).
- Y. Desaubies, C.-S. Chiu and J. H. Miller, “Acoustic mode propagation through a range-dependent ocean,” J.Acoust. Soc. Am., 80 (4), 1148 – 1160, (1986).