URI Pharmacy student is king of involvement

Fall 2008 Homecoming king, Andrew Cadorette, ready for anything in his ZBT letters, pharmacy lab coat and holding his tour guide jacket. Photo by Dave Lavallee

KINGSTON, R.I. – May 8, 2009 — It is common knowledge that the University of Rhode Island College of Pharmacy offers a difficult and competitive program, but fourth-year student Andrew Cadorette has taken his learning well beyond the classroom and laboratory walls.
The Biddeford, Maine resident became a leader within his college as a member of the American Pharmacists Association and a representative to the Council of the Provost. But he didn’t stop there. He has served the campus as a tour guide, orientation leader, fraternity brother and URI 101 mentor. With so many campus connections and enthusiasm for all things URI, it was no surprise when the student body chose him as the 2008 homecoming king.
For Cadorette, leading within his major has meant doing what he can to learn about the different avenues within the field such as retail, working in a hospital, senior care, management and even academia. Cadorette likes the idea of exploring these different niches within the pharmacy field as he has been exploring the different groups around the URI campus. He started by joining the Pharmacy fraternity, Kappa Psi. “One day we’re playing football against the new incoming pledge class,” Cadorette said. “Getting bruised and bloodied, and the next day we’re at a regional meeting, dressed to impress, with other chapters discussing the future of pharmacy. Kappa Psi provides that great balance between work and play.”
Joining in his freshman year, Cadorette was honored that after three short years his brothers nominated him for homecoming King. “Even though I was given the title as King, figuratively, the title is not one for myself, but one for my Brotherhood.”
The summer before his sophomore year, Cadorette was all over the campus as an orientation leader. He continued to learn through experience, as he became a student coordinator for the program. “The night before the first session I couldn’t sleep, I couldn’t stop thinking about all of the orientation leaders, and what was going to happen,” Cadorette said. “But I had the wise words of my advisor running through the back of my head, ‘trust the process’ she always said. After that I got a little sleep. The next morning after the orientation team sang the fight song, and I stood in the middle of the Quad looking at all the groups, I could really see how learning was a domino effect.”
Through the orientation program Cadorette gained all that Rhody pride and came back in the fall as a URI tour guide ready to share it with prospective students. As a member of the orientation team and the tour guide community, Cadorette had made strong connections with other students. “To me, people are contagious,” Cadorette said. “My first three years were based on establishing myself on this campus and building networks in all facets of the University – with professors, advisors, classmates, and younger students. Now in my fourth year, I was approached about joining Zeta Beta Tau.”
Four years ago, Cadorette would have never seen himself in two fraternities in college but after one barbecue with the ZBT brothers that’s exactly where he found himself. “Even though it is unusual to pledge a fraternity four years into college, I did so because of the opportunity to expand my social circle and meet more people. My dedication in getting to know others wherever, whenever, however, would probably have made me pledge even if I was 50 and still in school. Why not?”
Cadorette has loved being a part of all these networks and sharing what he’s gained from them. As a URI 101 mentor for a pharmacy section of freshmen students he was able to incorporate his love for peer leadership and pharmacy. He encourages his students to take learning outside of the pharmacy walls as well. “Recalling the moments as orientation coordinator in planning for the student leaders, as tour guide trainer in mentoring a team of new guides, and as a URI 101 mentor enjoying the time spent with the freshmen, I am leaning toward a career capable of keeping me on the cycle of learning and leading.”
When asked which experiences have meant the most to him, Cadorette leaned back in his chair, looked off to the right and smiled. “ They’re like a series of snapshots in my mind,” he said. “They have all been so rewarding in some way.” When Cadorette got involved in all of these experiences he didn’t realize then he was forming a new more specific career path that would incorporate everything he’s gained here at URI. “Knowing that the pharmacy program was six years, back in 2005 I took the backseat and knew I was in for a long ride. Now in my fourth year, I am beginning to put serious thought into my future. Academia, I feel, has the ability in making that happen for me. I also feel that Professor Cadorette has a nice flow to it.”
Media Contact: Dave Lavallee, 401-874-5862