Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Science (B.S.P.S.)
The B.S. in Pharmaceutical Sciences degree gives you unique preparation for careers focusing on:
The B.S.P.S. is the only bachelor’s degree at URI that will give you access to the specific courses within the B.S.P.S. major. This means that you will have the specialized training sought-after by the pharmaceutical and life science industry. Students with degrees in other science areas can also follow careers in pharmaceutical sciences, but will not have this specialized training.
Working alongside our expert faculty on your in-class and laboratory work, you will learn about:
- The science of how disease works and characterizing new or improved targets for treating and preventing disease (pharmacology, toxicology)
- Discovering, designing and making new molecules to test for their action at known and unknown disease targets (natural products chemistry, medicinal chemistry).
- Development of new or improved ways to formulate molecules for delivery to the site of action in the body (pharmaceutics, formulations, drug delivery).
- Development of new or improved ways to manufacture molecules on a factory-scale (manufacturing, formulations, engineering).
- Optimizing the absorption, transport, metabolism and excretion, and limiting the unwanted side effects of potential drug molecules (metabolism, pharmacokinetics, safety toxicology).
- Studying the best use of FDA-approved medications for efficacy, safety, and cost-benefits (pharmacoepidemiology, pharmacoecononmics).