Prepare for the Job Market
Get Good Advising
In the URI Philosophy department we don’t limit ourselves to academic advising. See your adviser regularly to keep pace with opportunities to further your goals.
- Professor Will Krieger at University College can set you on your way in thinking about how to integrate different majors and minors for optimal career preparation.
- Professor Cheryl Foster has professional certification in two forms of counseling and is ready to engage you in life-path advising in order to plan for your future along several different trajectories.
Combine courses and programs
Your philosophy major alone prepares you well for many careers, but you can both focus your studies within philosophy, as well as complement your major with other program areas, to maximize the depth and breadth of your qualifications.
- Within the major, consider focusing electives in a specific area of philosophy, such as analytical subjects, science-oriented topics, art and literature, or ethics, in order to balance the breadth of the major with depth in one area.
- Add a minor, or perhaps a second major
- Join the URI Honors Program (if you have a 3.2 GPA or better)
- Take advantage of grants, prizes and funded opportunities
Use Career Services from start to finish
- The URI Center for Career and Experiential Education offers a full range of guidance and opportunities all through your college career
- Sign up for RhodyNet and make virtual visits a part of your weekly routine
Build non-academic skills on campus
- Join a student organization. Check out the range of opportunities at http://studentorg.apps.uri.edu
- Participate in volunteering and service-learning. Explore your options at http://web.uri.edu/experience/volunteer/
- Work for campus offices, departments, centers and divisions. Find student employment opportunities here
Get real-world experience off campus
- Use summer and term-time jobs, hometown community involvement and special grant opportunities to augment your academic and campus involvement
- Engage in experiential learning for credit. Learn more at http://web.uri.edu/career/
- Study abroad or at a different campus in the US. Learn more at http://www.uri.edu/international/