PHY 204: Elementary Physics II
Please note that exact details of the course can vary
An honors version of this course is also offered by the Physics Department (PHY 204H).
Please note that one of the professors might not be teaching this course in the current semester. Please check eCampus to find out which professor is in charge for the current semester before contacting anyone above
Semester: Spring/Fall every year
Credits: 3+1 (PHY204/PHY274)
Prerequisites: PHY 203; credit or concurrent enrollment in MTH 142; and concurrent enrollment in PHY 274 (Recitation and Laboratory).
Catalog Description: Introduction to electricity and magnetism, leading to Maxwell’s equations. Electric fields and Gauss’ law; magnetic fields and Ampere’s law. Capacitance and inductance, DC and AC circuits. Electromagnetic waves.
Course Goals & Outcomes
Upon completion, successful students will be able to:
- Understand important topics of elementary physics
- Develop critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Solve calculus based problems pertaining to the course
- Apply concepts learned in lecture to experiments conducted in lab
This course meets 3 times per week for lecture, once per week for lab (two hours) and recitation (one hour). Separate enrollment in each is required.
Topics covered in this course include:
- Charge distributions and electric field
- Gauss’s law for the electric field
- Electric potential
- Capacitance and capacitor circuits
- Electric current and direct-current circuits
- Effects of the magnetic field: forces and torques
- Sources of the magnetic field: moving charges, currents, spins
- Ampere’s law and the law of Biot and Savart
- Faraday’s law and magnetic induction
- Alternating-current circuits
- Maxwell’s equations and electromagnetic waves
Detailed Course Syllabus for:
Download PDF version of the syllabus
Lecture Notes on the Digital Commons
Please check eCampus for the professor in charge for the current semester before attempting to contact anyone below.Your inquires may be unanswered or delayed if not sent to the correct person.
LEC: (3 crs.) Introduction to electricity and magnetism, leading to Maxwell’s equations. Electric fields and Gauss’ law; magnetic fields and Ampere’s law. Capacitance and inductance, DC and AC circuits. Electromagnetic waves. (Lec. 3) Pre: PHY 203, credit or concurrent enrollment in MTH 142, and concurrent enrollment in PHY 274. Intended for science or engineering majors. (N)