Assistant Professor of Biology/CCRI and
Coordinator, Amgen Biotechnology Program
A number of programs have been developed for both teachers and students to help them better understand biotechnology and possibly prepare for careers in the industry:
- The Amgen Bruce Wallace Biotechnology Program: provides training for teachers to incorporate a biotechnology module into their curriculum, utilizing free, mobile, sophisticated lab equipment.
- Online courses for high school students which can give the student college credits: MIC 190- Issues in Biotechnology (3 credits)
- Biotechnology Academies: 5 RI high schools have developed comprehensive biotechnology programs. URI provides support for developing new programs and keeping existing programs current in the technology
- Plant Genetics after-school lab courses for high school students which can give the student college credits (3-6 credits)
- Rhode Island Biotechnology Outreach Center – funded by the NSF EPSCOR program. Provides training and resources to students, teachers, the biotechnology industry, and the general public.