The Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs provides academic leadership to the University and is fundamentally focused on identifying academic priorities and strategies and championing innovation and excellence in teaching, research, creative production, and service. The Provost is the University’s chief academic officer who works closely with the deans in overseeing the colleges and academic programs as well as the library, enrollment services, and technology and information services. Accordingly, the Provost has institutional responsibility for the allocation of financial resources in accordance with academic priorities.
Donald H. Dehayes was appointed Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs at the University of RI in 2008. At that time, he worked collaboratively with the faculty and others at the University to develop an academic vision and 5 year strategic plan, for the University, which directs much of the focus for Academic Affairs and the work of the colleges.
The Office of the Provost works collaboratively with many groups and individuals. The Office of the Provost oversees academic appointments, promotions, tenure and other faculty affairs, ensures faculty support for research and outreach endeavors, monitors the institution’s accreditation, manages enrollment and academic support services, strategically administers the University’s academic financial resources, and guides the development and progress of academic strategic priorities.
The Provost delegates some of the responsibilities of the Office of the Provost to the:
- Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs
- Vice Provost for Academic Finance and Personnel
- Vice Provost for Enrollment Management
- Special Assistant for Academic Planning
- Special Assistant for Global Partnerships and Programs
And to the following for the colleges and other academic services:
- Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
- Dean of the College of Business
- Dean of the College of Engineering
- Dean of the College of the Environment and Life Sciences
- Dean of the Graduate School
- Dean of Human Sciences and Services
- Dean of the College of Nursing
- Dean of the College of Pharmacy
- Dean of University College
- Vice Provost for Urban Affairs and Dean of the Providence campus Feinstein College of Continuing Education
- Chief Information Officer for Technology and Information Services