Spring 2017 Class Notes

Keep us up to date on your news! Submit your class note at alumni.uri.edu/note

’48

William “Bill” F. Cowen of Arizona, a formal Naval commanding officer and lifelong forester, first in Rhode Island and later as a professor (now emeritus) at Ohio State University, has won numerous awards and written too many publications to list. He writes: “My record at OSU is a result of the education I received at URI and Yale, and I am proud of it. I originally attended URI for one year and joined Phi Mu Delta fraternity. I also had the honor of holding the ram at URI football games—some honor!—and had to wear a beanie cap.” Cowen served in the Pacific Theater in WWII before returning to URI to get a botany degree, then a masters at Yale. “My years at URI were magical,” he adds. “Now I just wonder how many of us are still living.”

’51

Turning back time: The 20th reunion of Bruce Zimmerman ’51, Austin Dwyer ’51 and Francis Wilcox ’51
Turning back time:The 20th reunion of Bruce Zimmerman ’51, Austin Dwyer ’51 and Francis Wilcox ’51

Bruce G. Zimmerman of Tampa, Fla., writes: “I know QuadAngles is always looking for antique pictures. This picture is from 1971, at our 20th Reunion when we all served on the Foundation Board and Fran was chairman”.

’58

Doris Jensen Daubney sent a photo taken in the fall of 2015 that features Alpha Delta Pi class of 1958 friends gathered at a Rhode Island summer home for lunch.

’66

Dr. Kenneth A. Sorensen, M.S. ’68, Ph.D. ’70, of Raleigh, N.C., received the Entomological Society of America Distinguished Achievement Award in Horticultural Entomology for 2015. He also received the 2015 Retiree Service Award from N.C. State University, Epsilon Sigma Phi, XI Chapter. “It is a beautiful thing when a career and a passion come together,” he says.

’69

Marc Perlman and Claire Perlman ’73 of North Kingstown, R.I., wrote: “On October 20, a group of Ocean State Job Lot employees helped sort food that was recently donated to the Boston Medical Center (BMC) Preventive Food Pantry by local Jewish synagogues. Ocean State Job Lot has a longstanding partnership with BMC that supports the pantry, and Job Lot CEO Marc Perlman and his wife, Claire (a BMC trustee) have pledged $10 million to the BMC capital campaign.”

’70

Marc Seifer of Saunderstown, R.I., writes: “I will be interviewed on American Experience for an upcoming show on Nikola Tesla by filmmaker David Grubin, appearing on PBS. I live in Narragansett and have written what many see as the definitive biography on Tesla, the man who invented much of the modern age: WIZARD: The Life & Times of Nikola Tesla: Biography of a Genius. For more information, visit http://www.marcseifer.com.”

’74

Douglas Ritter of Keller, Tex., writes: “I was a guest speaker at a communications class of Professor Roth. The speech was on advising students on how to get a job after graduation. First trip back to URI in 22 years. The students are younger and I am older.”

’77

Wayne Kaplan of New York, N.Y., writes: “40 years later, we are four URI alums who are still good friends. I sent in a photo taken at my wife Kathy ’78’s and my country house in Bridgehampton, N.Y., in July. When we all moved down the line after the first year or two of URI, I moved to Harbour Island and Kathy, Roni and Laurie moved to Narragansett. We’ve all been friends since. Raised our kids together and now we’re on to grandchildren”.

Laurie (Kikoen) Schwartz of Great Neck, N.Y., see Wayne Kaplan ’77 entry.

Tanya Trinkaus Glass, M.L.S. ’82, of Naples, Fla., writes: “I have a new artist’s website: www.tanyatrinkausglass.com. My mixed media and collage works were part of an exhibit at the Center for the Performing Arts of Bonita Springs, Florida, from October to December in an invitational show of four artists. In December I was the coordinator for the Southwest Florida Pastel Society’s “Small Works 2016” pastel show at the Norris Community Center Gallery in Naples. In January and February, I exhibited themed transportation pastels in the Southwest Florida Pastel Society’s Member’s Show at The Depot Museum in Naples.

’78

Kathy (Marx) Kaplan of New York, N.Y., see Wayne Kaplan ’77 entry

Roni (Arons) Schloss of Great Neck, N.Y., see Wayne Kaplan ’77 entry

’82

Harold M. Horvat of Cranston, R.I., was promoted to executive vice president of Centreville Bank. Harold was previously senior vice president, chief lending officer at Centreville. In his new capacity he will add oversight of Retail Banking and Facilities Management to his responsibilities, in addition to Commercial and Consumer Lending, and Commercial Services and Government Banking. Horvat has over 30 years of experience in the banking industry. Prior to joining Centreville in 2014, he served as executive vice president/chief operating officer for Mansfield Bank, headquartered in Mansfield, Mass. Horvat earned a M.B.A. from Bryant University.

’86

Michael and Anna (Pavlotsky) Bowden of Warwick, R.I., write: “On Saturday, September 24, the Dental Hygiene Program’s Class of 1986 returned to URI for their 30th Reunion, traveling from as far as North Carolina and Ohio, and as close as South Kingstown. We enjoyed a tailgate party, attended a football game, and had a reunion dinner in Newport. ‘All of us young ladies still have a lot of spring in our step!’ said Anna (Pavlotsky) Bowden.”

Madeline Parmenter of Coventry, R.I., is the new director of media relations for Providence College. She was previously a member of the media staffs for former Governors Lincoln Almond and Donald Carcieri, and former U.S. Senator Lincoln Chafee. She most recently worked in higher education at Johnson & Wales University. She has been a member of the Board of Directors for the RI Chapter of the ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease) Association for 20 years. She recently joined the public relations committee for the San Miguel School in Providence, and is a volunteer for the Crompton (West Warwick, RI) Veterans Organization’s Christmas in August fundraising efforts.

’89

Daniel J. Mitchell of Scarborough, Maine, an attorney at Bernstein Shur in Portland, Maine, was recently named a Cyber Security Trailblazer by the National Law Journal for his groundbreaking work in cyber security law. Mitchell is widely recognized as a confident and compelling attorney in the data security space, having been featured in numerous high-profile publications on the subject, including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Wired. As the seeming inevitability of data security incidents continues to be a priority for companies in Maine and abroad, the need for experts like Mitchell will continue to grow.

’91

Claire Gadrow, M.B.A. ’98, of Wakefield, R.I., demolished the Ghost Train 100 Mile Trail Race Course Record in October 2016. The Ghost Train Rail Trail Race is New Hampshire’s one and only 100-mile race and is a part of the Trail Animals Running Club race series. Gadrow took on the challenge with a goal of taking a step towards qualifying for the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run. As a result of her performance, she obtained an elite entry to the Umstead 100 Mile Endurance Run, a 2018 Western States Qualifier.

’94

Julie Deardorff, M.L.S, was selected as the 2016 recipient of the Jay Ladd Distinguished Service Award by the Academic Library Association of Ohio. She was recognized for her service to the organization and for her development of a unique library careers program for undergraduate students. She has served as director of collection services/associate professor of library science at Cedarville University in Cedarville, Ohio, since 1996.

Jim Gallagher, M.B.A. ’03, of Mattapoisett, Mass., has been appointed vice president of marketing and product strategy for commercial plans at Tufts Health Plan. In his new position, he is responsible for the marketing and product strategy, tactics, and programs to create recognition, interest and demand for Tufts Health Plan’s Commercial Plans products and services. He will oversee all commercial brand management, advertising, promotion, sponsorship and awareness across all media that support the division’s go-to-market strategies. In addition, he will drive product development and product effectiveness, understanding customer needs and the changing consumer-focused market.

’96

Greg Silva, C.F.A., vice president of investments at Webster Bank in Cranston, R.I., has been named a Five Star Professional Wealth Manager for the fourth consecutive year. This honor was awarded to less than 5 percent of all investment professionals in the state. Greg was also recently recognized as one of the Top 100 Bank Financial Advisors in the entire country by Bank Investment Consultant Magazine.

’01

Michael Castellano of Ames, Iowa, seeks greater understanding of nutrient cycling to increase productivity in agricultural systems. He has served as a member of Iowa State University’s Science Assessment Team, which laid the scientific foundation of the Iowa Nutrient Reduction Strategy, the collaborative effort of the university and state agencies to set statewide goals for water quality. Castellano has proven to be a key communicator to the public and decision-makers on how to better understand the science required to make progress on water quality and nutrient management goals. As the inaugural holder of the William T. Frankenberger Professorship in Soil Science since 2015, Castellano is using the professorship’s resources to sustain long-term studies to answer questions about nutrient cycling that cannot be answered in a single growing season.

’08

Janella Gaeta of Manahawkin, N.J., is currently working at Nely, Inc, in New York City and recently closed the largest deal in company history. She continues to thrive in the technology sales business and has again exceeded her quota for 2016, helping to take the company to the next level.

’09

Maria Carroccia, M.A. ’12, of Cranston, R.I., has been selected to join the Dassault Systemes Women’s Initiative Network steering committee for North America. The committee is tasked with helping Dassault Systemes become a leader among software and technology companies in terms of gender equity and the number of women in leadership positions. She will serve as a member of the Recruitment and Retention sub-committees. She has worked as a member of the SIMULIA Global Field Operations team for two years.

Weddings

Pete Mandeville ’98 to Tarra Mandeville on September 23, 2016

Lisa Marie Carroll ’08 to Ian Thomas Lyckland ’08 on November 5, 2016

Alexandra Dempsey ’09 to Corey Bruneault on September 17, 2016

Erin Mullen ’11, M.A. ’14, to Daniel Parker ’11 on October 9, 2016

Keith J. Murray ’11 to Amanda G. Beaudoin on July 16, 2016

Danielle Sanda ’13 to Bryan Poston ’14 on July 30, 2016

Births

Amanda (Pasquazzi) Gentile ’03 and David Gentile ’01, M.S. ’08, a son, Nolan Benjamin Gentile, on October 20, 2016

In Memoriam

Helen M. (Beaven) Puleo ’41 of Lincoln, R.I., on November 16, 2016

Marcia J. Trull ’47 of Saint Petersburg, Fla., on March 29, 2016

Genevieve S. Kerins ’48 of Endwell, N.Y., on November 5, 2016

Justin E. Abrams ’49 of Block Island, R.I., on March 9, 2016

Ilma Bichun ’49 of Warwick, R.I., on October 26, 2016

Robert B. Almeida ’50 of Barrington, R.I., on May 26, 2016

Richard C. Anthony ’50 of South Kingstown, R.I., on October 29, 2016

Albert Alcide Barber ’50, M.S. ’52, of Middleburg, Va., on July 30, 2016

Lillian C. (Turco) Cappuccio ’50 of Westerly, R.I., on November 26, 2010

Archibald Belmont Kenyon Jr. ’50 of Wakefield, R.I., on December 9, 2016

Richard Johnson ’51 of Lincoln, R.I., on October 30, 2016

Kenneth M. Morrison ’51 of Needham, Mass., on November 9, 2016

Anna Rotondo ’51 of North Kingstown, R.I., on September 29, 2016

Royal D. Sibley Jr. of Griswold, Conn., on March 9, 2016

Avis S. Randall ’54 of Spring Lake, Mich., on September 27, 2016

Donald Andrew Wilson ’54 of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on May 27, 2016

Robert V. Conde ’55 of Fort Myers, Fla., on May 12, 2016

Jane (Parker) Carlson ’56 of Fairfield, Maine, on October 29, 2016

E. Lyman D’Andrea ’56 of Providence, R.I., on October 12, 2016

Joseph T. Laffey ’56 of South Kingstown, R.I., on September 22, 2016

Shirley Pinder McKee ’56 of Houston, Tex., on February 3, 2015

Douglas Josiah Richardson Jr. ’56 of Bluffton, S.C., on November 26, 2016

Janet Fradin ’57 of Providence, R.I., on October 29, 2016

John Frederick Brown ’58 of Barton, Vt., on November 2, 2016

Hugh C. Neville ’58 of Barrington, R.I., on July 23, 2016

Andrew S. Petrides ’59 of Raleigh, N.C., on December 6, 2016

James Joseph Roy ’60 of San Diego, Calif., on July 24, 2016

Jay William Hartford ’61, M.S. ’62 of Trappe, Md., on November 6, 2016

Nathaniel Mawby ’61 of Berryville, Va., on February 13, 2015

Lois Countway-Taudvin ’61 of Nashua, N.H., on May 25, 2016

Carol Sornberger ’63 of Boylston, Mass., on November 24, 2016

Peter Chamberlain ’64 of Wilton, Maine, on October 31, 2016

Anthony F. DiRuzzo ’64 of North Providence, R.I., on November 13, 2016

Richard George Pincus ’65 of Manasquan, N.J., on October 8, 2016

Carl Jacobson ’66 of Indianapolis, Ind., on November 1, 2016

Dale B. Reed ’66 of Woonsocket, R.I., on August 10, 2016

George B. Brown ’67 of Santa Cruz, Calif., on July 25, 2016

Domenic Francis Capalbo ’67 of Wakefield, R.I., on October 20, 2016

Captain James H. Smith ’67 of East Greenwich, R.I., on September 30, 2016

Fay Kicia ’68 of Sebastian, Fla., on April 3, 2016

Elizabeth (Wittig) Hart ’70 of Saco, Maine, on April 18, 2016

Solomon Solomon, M.S. ’70 of North Kingstown, R.I., on October 21, 2016

Robert L. Davis ’71 of Rochester, Vt., on June 22, 2016

John Gilman ’71 Providence, R.I., on October 18, 2016

Terrance J. Daly ’72 of Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., on September 24, 2016

Robert Gregg Keary ’72 of Bedford, N.H., on December 13, 1943

Arthur G. Lavallee, M.S. ’72 of Danielsville, Ga., on December 8, 2016

Sandra J. Panzeri ’72 of Narragansett, R.I., on August 9, 2016

Linda Bolduc Reichler ’72 of Avon, Conn., on August 26, 2016

Carolyn E. (Couto) Wood ’72 of Jefferson, Mass., on November 25, 2016

Judith A. Desfosses, M.A. ’73 of Rochester, N.Y., on December 7, 2016

Raymond LaFazia ’73 of Chepachet, R.I., on September 23, 2016

Miriam S. McEwen ’73 of Lexington, Ky., on June 18, 2015

Peter G. Pantelis ’73 of Waterford, Conn., on October 14, 2016

Edward W. Poyer ’73 of Providence, R.I., on November 9, 2015

Michael William Titzler ’73 of Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., on September 4, 2016

Stanley N. Wallach ’74 of Dunellen, N.J., on November 4, 2016

Patricia “Patti” Fay ’75 of Portsmouth, R.I. on June 4, 2016

Grace M. (Champlin) Dowdell ’76, M.A. ’83, of Peace Dale, R.I., on September 2, 2016

James M. Conti ’76 of Wahiawa, Hawaii, on November 11, 2016

Sandra J. O’Leary ’76 of East Greenwich, R.I., on November 23, 2016

Rose M. Jannarelli ’77 of Cumberland, R.I., on August 14, 2015

Kathleen Sanford ’77 of Coventry, R.I., on November 4, 2015

Gregory G. Troy ’77 of Smithfield, R.I., on May 23, 2016

Beverly Malin ’78 of Tiverton, R.I., on October 16, 2016

Stephen R. McGinn ’79 of North Attleboro, Mass., on September 29, 2016

Anne Louise (Treacy) McGill ’80 of Lincoln, R.I., on October 26, 2016

Marion Marceau ’81 of Wakefield, R.I., on November 6, 2016

Maj. Britt DeSaussure ’82 of Hudson, Ohio, on July 1, 2016

Francesca (Gencarelli) Wish ’83 of Westerly, R.I., on October 25, 2016

Mark W. Stoermer, M.S. ’85 of Seattle, Wash., on December 3, 2016

Martha A. Parker-Magagna, M.A. ’87 of Grantham, N.H., on December 4, 2016

Dorothy A Van Couyghen ’90 of Warwick, R.I., on May 3, 2016

Veronica M. Auslander ’03 of Narragansett, R.I., on July 16, 2016

Liam P. Cunningham ’11 of Needham, Mass., on September 27, 2016

Jason J. Carvalho, Pharm. D. ’12 of Cumberland, R.I., on December 10, 2016

Faculty and Staff In Memoriam

Professor Emeritus of Biological Sciences William H. Krueger of West Kingston, R.I., on October 3, 2016