Commentary

This new section of QUAD ANGLES features feedback from readers of both the print and online magazine. The following comments, all posted online, relate to stories in the Fall 2010 issue. Thank you to our correspondents for sharing your thoughts with us.

“The Simple Joy of Life Continued”

Bethany, Robert, and Professor Vaccaro:
My name is Jamie, and I am a health teacher at a school in Worcester, Mass. My son Sean is a freshman at URI, and I receive QUAD ANGLES. I shared this article with my classes (grades 7–12) this week, and we were moved by your family’s resolve. The courage of Robert and your family is inspiring to all of us. In the article war is talked about in not only life or death circumstances but in having to deal with a family member’s struggle with disability. Some of the students in the school aspire to go in the military, and sharing your anguish with us through your essay has opened some of their eyes to the reality of war. Thank you for your willingness to share this information and your strength as a family to work as a unit to help Robert succeed in his quest for independence.
Regards, Jamie Sullivan
—Posted October 20, 2010, at 9:55 a.m.

I don’t know how to begin this comment, so I think I will just dive right in. The strength of the Vaccaro family is so evident through Rob’s story. Not only the strength of Rob, but of all of you. When one family member is affected, it affects you all, good or bad. God must have found favor in the Vaccaro family, because he promised in his word that he would never give us more than we can bear, and you all have had to bear so much. But speaking for myself, and my family as well (my father coached the church softball team) we are so grateful for your love and support of Rob, because without it we would not know him. We love him very much, and I personally am very blessed to call him a friend. Seeing him every week is such a joy!
Marjorie Harrison
—Posted October 20, 2010 at 4:31 p.m.

“Working the Room: Move-in Day, September 2010”
Looks a tad crowded! I remember Weldin being a building of double rooms. Did renovation enlarge the living spaces?
Catherine Becker-Lanni
—Posted October 14, 2010, at 6:08 p.m.

I knew that photo looked familiar! They’re still tripling in Weldin Hall?! How I remember squeezing into one dorm room with my two new roommates freshman year. Fortunately for us in the class of 1977, we were probably far more used to sharing rooms than this generation is!
Patty Boyd
­—Posted October 15, 2010, at 2:07 p.m.

Many years ago I lived in a double at Bressler Hall. It was about the time bunk beds were introduced. What a change 25 years makes!
Charlene
—Posted October 19, 2010, at 6:08 p.m.

I had the BEST ROOMMATE in the world. She was rock ’n roll and I was preppy. We met in ’81 and graduated in ’85. ’Til this day she is the “sister of my heart” 25 years after graduation. That means we’ve know one another 29 years—WOW! And to think it all began at URI—three years living in Browning and senior year “down the line”!!
Linda Duros
—Posted October 22, 2010, at 1:59 p.m.

I’ve got you all beat. We were told that our freshman year, 1967, was the first time for triples in Weldin.
Pam Abbott
—Posted: October 23, 2010, at 5:16 p.m.

“Celebrating a Legacy: John Grandin’s Legacy Made URI a Leader in International Engineering Education”

Dr. Grandin is a gifted visionary with unique talents. I benefited enormously from his enthusiastic approach and love of teaching. His inspiration sparked a strong interest in learning German, and as a U.S. Army foreign area officer I used those language skills and cultural awareness initially obtained at URI to serve 17 years in Germany, Ukraine, and the Russian Federation. Congratulations on retirement!
Tim Shea ’80, colonel (retired), U.S. Army
—Posted October 15, 2010, at 8:58 a.m.

“Chemistry—Essential 2 Rhode Island’s Future”

I came to URI as a chem major in 1956 when Pastore Hall was a very new, modern facility. It’s hard to believe it’s still the center for chemistry at the University. Have there been any major renovations to the building since then? There must have been, or else how could chemistry be as good as I know it currently is there? I wish I were still a Rhode Islander, so that I could vote Yes on the bond referendum (#2). Good luck on the referendum.
Dick Durst
—Posted October 23, 2010 at 9:49 p.m.