Help for Sidelined Athletes

Seman2In the fall of 2012, Cate Seman ’16 was two weeks into her collegiate career when she suffered an ankle injury that knocked her out of action. The time on the sidelines away from her teammates got Seman thinking about what she would do without sports in her life.

That is where the senior captain’s idea for Rallying Athletes’ Minds, or RAM, was born. Working with academic advisor and learning specialist Brittney Cross, Seman developed a wellness and development program that focuses in two areas: First, helping student-athletes transition to life when sports are over after graduation, andsecond, helping athletes deal with not being able to play while sick or injured.

“On the injury side, we’re hoping to prevent some of the things that happen to athletes when they can’t compete, like depression, eating disorders and academic decline,” Seman says. “We also want to make sure athletes have a better understanding of what to do after their athletic careers are over. There really is nothing like that in place here.”

Cross added that she is hopeful they will receive a grant from the NCAA to help launch and sustain the program.

“This is something student-athletes don’t realize they need until they need it,” Cross says. “It was extremely exciting when Cate came to me with this idea, especially someone as enthusiastic and passionate as she is.”

Seman plans on staying at the University after graduation to help run the program.

“When the idea came to me, I was like a lot of athletes,” Seman said. “When I finished my four years I had no idea what I was going to do without athletics. There needs to be a better system in place to help injured athletes and athletes who will graduate to figure out career paths—something as seemingly simple as how to do a resume, that sort of thing. I hope this will provide that here.”