Spring 2015 Class Notes

’51
Alec Voight, ENG, of Milford, Conn., writes: “I celebrated my 91st birthday and am very grateful for continued good health and mobility. URI brings back a flood of fond memories. In 1946, I was part of the first wave of WWII veterans to attend the University. We all soon became part of fraternity life (Sigma Chi), I met my life’s partner the (late) Pat Joslin ’54, and friendships that I made along life’s path have helped me appreciate this journey. I have a lifetime of happy memories. I am still very proud to be part of the legacy of URI. I also want to write that Sikorsky Aircraft placed my resume on the web. [Ed. Note: Google “Alec Von Voight CBI Hoverfly” to find several pages that give a fascinating glimpse into how helicopters first came into use during WWII, and Alec’s pivotal role.]

’57
Don Daubney, HS&S, and his wife, Doris Jensen Daubney ’58, CBA, of Croton-on-Hudson, N.Y., write: “We are happy to have a granddaughter as a freshman at URI. Sarah Corrigan was initiated into Alpha Delta Pi Sorority on November 15, the same sorority that Doris was part of while at URI. Don retired from teaching 21 years ago but continues to coach JV basketball at Croton Harmon High School, here in N.Y.”

’68
Thomas Francis Shevlin, CBA, of Darien, Conn., writes: “I was recently appointed senior vice president of Fiduciary Trust Company of New York. I am responsible for portfolio management and new business development for high-net-worth individuals throughout the United States. I am the proud grandfather of seven and father of five. Our son, Tom D. Shevlin, is a senior at URI.”

’70
Dianne Pastore Fonseca, HS&S, of Greenville, R.I., writes: “I was an adjunct at URI in the Education/World Language Department, serving as a supervisor of foreign language student teachers from 2004-2008. I am a 15-year breast cancer survivor and volunteer for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer of the American Cancer Society. My team, Keeping the Pace with Dianne, has been the top fundraiser in RI and among the top 20 in the nation the past several years. With the help of family and friends, we have raised over $150,000 to date. This year we are already over $25,000 with a a goal of $35,000 and we are presently #1 in the country.”

’73
Jan Owens, A&S, of Racine, Wisc., continues as chair of the Department of Management and Marketing at Carthage College, Kenosha, Wisc. Her advanced degrees were from the University of Wisconsin – Madison, M.B.A. and Ph.D. Her husband John Owens ’74, E&LS, of Racine, Wisc., recently retired at S.C. Johnson. He entered the company as a group leader in research and development, and retired as the global regulatory compliance manager. He earned his M.S. and Ph.D. at Purdue University.

’74
Raymond Fricano, E&LS, writes: “I am retiring after 38 years of service as an administrative judge with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, National Appeals Division. I plan to spend plenty of quality time with my family and grandchild, before starting a new career in a yet to be determined field of endeavor.”

Gerard “Jerry” Herlihy, CBA, of West Palm Beach, FL writes: “I recently published Hedge Fund Grannies, a satire about how Wall Street meets Main Street during yet another stock market boom. Available on Amazon.”

’75
Peter W. Marshall, ENG, of Norfolk, Va., client service corporate coordinator for Navy programs and retired Navy Admiral, was elected Fellow of the National Academy of Public Administration. He was nominated after serving on a volunteer research committee for the Academy. He was also elected as a new member of the 2014 class by The National Academy of Construction, recognizing his leadership in planning, constructing, and managing military facilities and in policy development for improving U.S. infrastructure.

’76
Peter Stetson, E&LS, M.S. ’83 HS&S, of Wyoming, R.I., was recognized by the Sustainable Schools Summit as the 2014 Environmental Educator of the Year. Peter has worked hard to establish an Envirothon Club at Coventry High School. He advises students as they prepare for the R.I. State Envirothon competition. Coventry’s teams have won the state competition in 2004 and 2009.

’77
George La Cross, A&S, of Barrington, R.I., writes: “A Providence Journal employee since 1980 and editor of the Laff In The Dark website (www.laffinthedark.com) since 1999, I wrote a feature story, with video, documenting the Haunted House Dark Ride in Ocean City, N.J. You can read the story here: http://www.laffinthedark.com/articles/gillians/ghh_P1.html”

’81
John Rieth, CBA, of Scottsdale, Ariz., recently published his second book, titled Imperial Germany’s ‘Iron Regiment’ of the First World War; War Memories of Service with Infantry Regimen 169. The book was inspired by the wartime journal of his grandfather, a veteran of this unit. With over 15 years of research, this book offers a rare English language history of a German Infantry Regiment in World War One. Published by Badgley Publishing, additional information can be found at: www.badgleypublishingcompany.com/ImperialGermany. John recently moved to Socttsdale, where he is employed with the federal government.

’81
Mary Kay Koreivo, CBA, of Cumberland, R.I., is a senior client manager for business banking at Bank of America, Merrill Lynch, Providence Office.

’82
Matthew Haag, A&S, of Arlington, Va., was promoted to Captain, U.S. Navy, on October 1, 2014. He is currently stationed at the Defense Security Cooperation Agency, where he is the country program director for Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

Thomas Brennan, A&S, of Meridian, Conn., writes: “I’ve been working as a news blogger/journalist for an Israeli news site since April. This has opened up the door for redesigning my social media business to support Israel and promote U.S./Israel business, social and cultural relations. In addition, I have a website, Horse-Sense-Socialmedia.com, which manages social media marketing for equine businesses. I’ve been managing horse boarding facilities since 2003 and showing Arabians since 2007. My writing can be found at: http://www.thejerusalemgiftshop.com/israelnews/?s=tom+brennan

’85
Scott Stafford, ENG, of Wakefield, RI, is a senior engineer at Raytheon BBN Technologies, in Middletown, RI. He has worked at BBN for almost 22 years, has a patent in the computer hardware field, and is a senior member of the IEEE. Scott and his wife Jane (Healy, BA 86’, MA 89’), an elementary school teacher, have been married 26 years, and have two children: Morgan (21) and Tyler (18).

’87
Marc Paulhus, CBA, of Costa Mesa, Cali., head of asset finance for Citizens Commercial Banking, was appointed Citizens Bank Rhode Island President. Marc has held a number of senior leadership positions with Citizens.

’92
Michael I. Miga, ENG, MS ’94 ENG, was promoted to professor of biomedical engineering, radiology and radiological sciences, and neurological surgery at Vanderbilt University in May of 2013. In a March 2014 ceremony at the National Academy of Sciences, Dr. Miga was inducted into the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering College of Fellows, representing the top 2 percent of medical and biological engineers.

’93
Cory Cloud, A&S, of West Warwick, R.I., is the new departmental grievance coordinator for the Rhode Island Department of Corrections. Cory will be responsible for the coordination of inmate grievances in the RIDOC, administering a procedure which permits inmates to have access to an orderly, fair, simple and expeditious method of solving grievances.

’95
James M. Laviano, A&S, of Waltham, Mass., is a wealth advisor at Twelve Points Wealth Management in Concord, Mass.

’99
Karolyn Zambrotta, Nursing, of Newport, R.I., is a certified nurse midwife at Newport Hospital’s Noreen Stonor Drexel Birthing Center. Karolyn has been practicing midwifery for more than 10 years. She provides a comprehensive range of women’s services spanning pregnancy and delivery, including prenatal, postpartum and newborn care, breastfeeding support and routine gynecological care.

’01
Marisa Lynn (Saccoccio) Laurent, CELS, ’01, MA ’05, was appointed to the position of assistant professor in the Fire Science program at the Community College of Rhode Island in December 2013. Professor Laurent teaches the Fire 1130-Emegency Medical Technician (EMT) courses and taught one of the first Rhode Island Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (AEMT) pilot courses in Rhode Island.

Thomas Morrissey, A&S, of Lincoln, R.I., has made a small production space in Woonsocket, R.I., his base of operations for the latest development in a life spent in perpetual motion. Tom’s unique, refreshing perspective of precise, law-driven art brought him to the guitar due to its role as a functional art form. A guitar has to be extremely precise, durable and outwardly beautiful. For Tom, this was a perfect marriage between his former aeronautical engineering studies and his artistic meanderings. He joins a growing number of small-scale, high-end guitar manufacturers who are starting to attract attention away from the big makers Fender, Gibson, Martin and Taylor, who push out quantity, often over uniqueness.

’02
Albert P. DeSalvo, A&S, of New Haven, Conn., was named Woman’s Basketball Coach at Southern Connecticut State University in New Haven, Conn.

’03
Tiffany Risch, A&S, of Amsterdam, N.Y., was recently recognized by the American Meteorological Society as the 2014 K-12 National Distinguished Educator of the Year. Tiffany has worked hard to establish an oceanography program at Coventry High School.

’13
Amanda Smigliani, HS&S, of Windham, N.H., writes: “I wanted to give an update on my selection for graduate school. I am attending MGH Institute of Health Professions in Charlestown, Mass., for their Doctorate of Physical Therapy program. The program is ranked number one in New England and number seven in the country. I just wanted to make sure that this was on record for the future! I wanted to give kinesiology students the confidence that the curriculum at URI for exercise science is fantastic, and gave me the tools I needed to be accepted into this great program.”

’14
Sabrina Brotons, A&S, of Long Beach, Cali., writes: “I moved to California and started my first real-person job at Ner Tamid of South Bay, working as assistant director of experiential education.”

Weddings

Kevin M. O’Brian ’88 to Catherine M. Rumschlage, on Oct 3, 2014.

Lara E. Hinz ’99 to Benjamin W. Proctor, on October 3, 2014.

Mark G. Blanchette ’04 to Elizabeth B. Kim, on August 8, 2014.

Amy Leasca ’04 to Conor Casey, on August 31, 2014

Sara Acciardo ’05 to Michael Nadeau ’08, on June 14, 2014.

Jean Reuter ’05 to Adam Finkleman, on August 16, 2014.

Michael Puhacz ’05 to Michelle DeJesus, on June 14, 2014.

Marisa Lynn (Saccoccio) Laurent ’01, MA ’05, to Joseph L. Laurent Jr., on August 24, 2014.

Moira Brown ’06 to Michael Higgins, on May 31, 2014.

Maria Inelli ’07 to Jonathan Kurowski ’06, on July 13, 2013.

Jana Morettini ’07 to Fabio Bethlem, on September 4, 2014.

Heather A. Jarbeau ’09 to Marc S. Lattinville, on September 12, 2014.

BIRTHS

Eddie Cronan ’72 and Mary-Ellen (Mercurio) ’73, of East Providence, R.I., write: “The Cronan clan has another grandchild! McKynlie Mae Cronan was born on April 30, 2014. She joins old sister Teigan Ellen (2) with dad, Jarrett Cronan ’03, and mom, Vanessa. Eddie and Mary-Ellen have five grandaughters as Patrick Cronan ’01 and Kristy (Faiola) ’01, have three daughters: Ana Rose (7), Grace Elizabeth (4) and Julia Elise (1). We are very blessed with the health and happiness of all family members! Go Rhody!”

Eileen Phillips Fiore ’94 and Henry Fiore, Jr. ’80 welcomed James Timothy on October 20, 2014.

Lisa (Iadevaia) Devlin ’01 and Alan Devlin, a daughter, Aoife Isabella, on November 4, 2014.

Jessica Moran Dunn ’03 and Michael Dunn ’06, a son, Jameson Brennan Dunn, on September 22, 2014.

Josh Blumenthal ’03 and Cherilynn Blumenthal, a son, Ethan Jacob Blumenthal, on December 1, 2014.

Jeffery and Lindsay Redfern Lazzeri ’04, a son, Tyler James, on November 6, 2014.

Theresa (Bourgeois) Jaffer ’05 and Nate Jaffer ’06, a son Nicholas Anthony Jaffer, on December 11, 2014.

IN MEMORIAM

Frank Deluca ’38, of Enfield, Conn., on November 16, 2014.

Allen Andrews ’40, of North Providence, R.I., on May 23, 2014.

Daniel J. Coonan ’40, of Jersey City, N.J., on October 18, 2014.

Edward B. Palazzo ’42 ,of East Greenwich, R.I., on October 24, 2014.

Avis Myra Palmer Wheeler ’43 of Pawcatuck, Conn., on November 10, 2008.

Dorothy Angell Campbell ’44 of Wakefield, R.I., on November 30, 2014.

Alice Rowley Ellinwood ’45, of Safety Harbor, Fla., on July 8, 2014.

James F. Pyne Jr. ’48 of Bradenton, Fla., on November 1, 2014.

Sidney Dubinsky ’49, of Knoxville, Tenn., on February 5, 2014.

Isabel Prata Picozzi ’49, of North Providence, R.I., on November 23, 2014.

Allan Zelig Fine ’50 of Attleboro, Mass., on November 6, 2014.

Carol Ahlborg ’51, of Warwick, R.I., on November 12, 2014.

Patricia M. Mahon Bolster ’51, of Narragansett, R.I., on September 25, 2014.

Raymond Laurie Steen ’51, of Seekonk, Mass., on November 4, 2014.

Raymond A. Boffa ’52, of Swampscott, Mass., on October 31, 2014.

Donald O. Champagne ’52, of Fort Sumner, N.M., on November 11, 2012.

Jean Smith Martin ’53, of Warwick, R.I., on November 20,2014

Howard Holt ’54, of Wakefield, R.I., on October 6, 2014.

Laurie Stephan Holtz ’54, of Miami Beach, Fla., on August 24, 2014.

Marie Ploeger King ’54 ,of Oak Ridge, Tenn., on October 29, 2014.

Leo LaRiviere ’54, of South Windsor, Conn., on July 17, 2014.

William Wilkinson ’54, of Warwick, R.I., on October 29, 2014.

Amario DiOrio ’55, of North Providence, R.I., on September 26, 2014.

Robert A. Caruolo ’56, of West Kingston, R.I., on October 24, 2014.

Amelie Chalaron Haller ’56, of Covington, La., on September 20, 2014.

David A. Martin ’58, of Hilton Head, S.C., on November 25, 2014.

Roger A. Chambers ’59, of Jackson, N.H., on April 20, 2014.

Richard J. Collins ’59, of West Andover, Mass., February 20, 2014.

George Conti ’59, of Walpole, Mass., on August 20, 2014.

James Cooney ’59, of Smithfield, R.I., on November 22, 2014.

Richard T. Cooney ’59, of Salem, Mass., on November 27, 2014.

Francis J. Culp ’59, of Port Royal, S.C., on November 26, 2014.

John Nimmo ’59, of Medway, Mass., on December 3, 2014.

Edward R. Mackie ’60, of Breinigsville, Penn., on October 6, 2014.

Robert Peterson ’60, of Farmington, Minn., on September 6, 2014.

Anne Galloway Bowen ’61, of Wakefield, R.I., on December 2, 2014.

John F. Riley ’61, of Golden Valley, Minn., on October 4, 2014.

Dorothy (Smith) Farnum ’61,of Wakefield, R.I., on November 12, 2014.

Robert M. Anes ’63, of Fort Lee, N.J., on January 6, 2014

Charles H. Goyette Jr. ’63, of Atlantic Beach, Fla., on April 4, 2014.

Lawrence West ’64, of Narragansett, R.I., on December 6, 2014.

Norman M. Fucile ’65, of Middletown, R.I., on November 17, 2014.

Mary Cesario Sylvestre ’65, of Waterford, Conn., on February 5, 2012.

Robert Hirst ’65, of Boynton Beach, Fla., on October 12, 2014.

Thomas Hemenway ’66, of Gainesville, Fla., on November 17, 2014.

Kenneth Lee Parker ’66, of Westfield, N.J., on November 5, 2014.

Mark A. Serrano-Diaz ’67, of Sarasota, Fla., on February 16, 2012

Leslie Thompson Leduc ’67, of Dandridge, Tenn., on August 15, 2014.

Arthur L. Bliss ’68, of Hollister, Calif., on June 15, 2013.

Joseph Brown ’68, of North Scituate, R.I., on November 17, 2014.

Ann Monica McGlinchey Neville Long ’69, of Kyle, Texas, on November 16, 2014.

Russell Dow M.D. ’70, of Portland, Oregon, on October 15, 2014.

Kenneth Grillo ’70, of Grove City, Ohio, on October 5, 2014.

David M. Midwood ’71, of Byfield, Mass., on October 3, 2014.

Charles Oller ’72, of Warwick, R.I., on May 13, 2014.

Paulette M. Sepul ’76, of Attleboro, Mass., on November 15, 2014.

Edith Chisholm ’77, of Barrington, R.I., on October 7, 2014.

Judith Averill Kimball ’77, of Kittery, Maine, on July 25, 2012.

William F. Graham ’78, of Bradenton, Fla., on September 17, 2014.

Grace Klein-MacPhee 79, of Narragansett, R.I., on September 20, 2014.

Burak A. Gunbay ’80, of Sopchoppy, Fla., on February 25, 2014.

Maureen Young-McGarry ’81, of Greene, R.I., on November 12, 2014.

Scott Vozza ’82, of Vernon, N.J., on February 20, 2014.

Raymond V. D’Agostino ’83, of Wellington, Fla., on April 29, 2014.

Valerie Neuse ’83, of Kingston, R.I., on October 18, 2014.

Stephen Ferri ’84, of Warren, R.I., on November 14, 2014.

Joan D. Reynolds ’84, of Lynn, Mass., on November 1, 2014.

Florence Clowes ’86, of Vero Beach, Fla, on January 29, 2014.

Jane Ferraro McChesney ’87, of Attleboro, Mass., on November 3, 2014.

Inger Soderman ’88, of Sparkill, N.Y., on November 13, 2014.

Mark Grabherr ’89, of Mystic, Conn., on November 1, 2014.

Susan M. Needle ’94, of Wakefield, R.I., on February 23, 2013.

Sharon Deluca ’95, of Wakefield, RI, on October 28, 2014.

Kathleen Wallace ’99, of Wakefield, R.I., on November 11, 2014.

Megan A. Mello ’04, of Coventry, R.I., on October 9, 2014.

IN MEMORIAM FACULTY

John D. Dempsey, of North Kingston, R.I., on December 10, 2014. Professor emeritus of applied violin and viola, music theory, music appreciation, and chamber music; coach for the URI Undergraduate Honors String Quartet, associate chair of the Music Department, and chair of the department’s Scholarship and Recruitment Committee.

Walter P. Gould, of Wakefield, R.I., on November 21, 2014. Professor emeritus of natural resources science; member of the Society of American Foresters.

Christopher T. Rhodes, of Narragansett, R.I., on January 1, 2015. Professor emeritus of biomedical and pharmaceutical sciences.