Summer 2016 Class Notes

’51

Alec Voight of Milford, Conn. writes: “URI gave me the tools I needed to fulfill my destiny. In 1946 I was part of the first group of WWII veterans to attend the university. We all made friendships and have wonderful memories that have lasted a lifetime. While I have settled into an enjoyable retirement for the past 20 years, I am ever thankful for the education and the opportunity to achieve my dreams through my career in aerospace. I am celebrating my 93rd birthday this summer and while a lot of my classmates and fraternity brothers are no longer here, I am honored to have walked with them and called them my friends. That is the true spirit of URI and what I treasure the most from my college experience.”

’71

Jerry Heines of Williston, Fla., writes: “My book Road to Success is now in Kindle and print editions on Amazon. It was written to help grads develop a high tech career in private industry. I hope you enjoy or pass it onto someone about to finish school. It has been endorsed by Lockheed Martin and the University of Florida.”

’74

Sharon J. Danosky of Sherman, Conn., has recently been named a BoardSource Certified Governance trainer. She is the founder and president of Danosky & Associates of New Milford, Conn. She is now certified to offer governance training among nonprofit organizations using BoardSource-approved curriculum in the following areas: roles and responsibilities of nonprofit boards, board-staff partnership, board structure, board’s role in fundraising, the board-building cycle, and board performance assessment.

’75

Elizabeth Sarro of Cranston, R.I., has been named to the LeadingAge RI Board of Directors. Sarro is the president and administrator of Bethany Home, overseeing the 33-bed skilled nursing and rehabilitation community. She is a licensed home administrator and a registered dietitian whose work has been published in the Health Care Facilities Quarterly Journal and the Journal of the American Dietetic Association.

’76

Marilyn Baker, M.A., of Warwick, R.I., is one of 14 women actors showcased in a cover article in the November 2015 issue of Imagine magazine, “Fourteen Fabulous Actors Age 50 and Over…Over Achieving, That Is.” Imagine is published in Boston and contains news and stories about film, television, and new media production, mainly in New England. Baker has a strong background in music, and has performed as a chorus and choir singer and soloist in churches, synagogues, community theater, solo programs, and the former Providence Opera Theater. Since retiring from full-time state employment, she has studied acting and has appeared in both locally- and nationally-produced films and videos.

’78

Robert Boucher of Watertown, Mass., writes: “My father probably tore more sporting event tickets at Keaney Gym and Meade Field than anyone. Now his brick rests just outside the Ryan Center entrance. I’d like to believe that somehow I’ve made him proud by finally publishing a book on Amazon. It is a digital format—search for Robert Boucher or Boyhood at Twilight. Fourteen stories, approximately one hundred and fifty pages, all for a total of $5.99 (about the cost of a couple of burritos at Taco Bell). If you risk the investment, rumor has it (others’, not mine), that you will not be disappointed. I certainly hope that’s true. Meanwhile, enjoy the South County summer. Perhaps try to get a little reading in. See you in the fall.”

’81

Leora Freedman of Toronto, Canada, is publishing her third novel, The Daughter Who Got Away, released on March 15. It is about Celia, a 70-year-old sophisticate, who leaves New York after a time of loss and travels to the Canadian wilderness to visit her daughter.

’83

James Curran, M.B.A., Ph.D. ’99, of Dunnellon, Fla., has been named dean of the College of Business at USF Sarasota-Manatee. James has been the college’s interim dean since former dean Robert Anderson retired at the end of 2014. Before he became involved in education, Curran held sales and marketing positions with four large international precious-metals companies, spent time consulting and managed his own manufacturer-representative business.

Raymond Muscat, M.B.A, of North Muskegon, Mich., has been named industry director of University of Michigan’s Tauber Institute for Global Operations. In this role, Muscat will participate in strategic planning and lead strategic initiatives for the Institute. His 37-year corporate career includes global experiences in the automotive, defense electronics, aerospace and office furniture industries. His expertise spans engineering, manufacturing, program management, mergers and acquisitions, global manufacturing strategy development and execution, and the implementation of the Toyota Production System/Lean Manufacturing principles.

’90

Monda Raquel Webb of Rockville, Md., has had many recent accolades for her short film “Zoo (Volkerschau)”. “Zoo” is about a day in the life of an African girl on display for the first time in a Human Zoo in 1958. Monica writes: “My social media hashtag is #letsallbehuman. My overarching goal is to get people to see all human beings as human beings. We’re asking people to trash the dogma, forget stereotype, disregard color, race, lifestyle and gender and to really SEE one another as the girls in the films see themselves; simply human.” Read “Human Zoo” in this issue of QuadAngles for more about Webb’s work.

’92

Lori Viner, M.S. ’02, of Slocum, R.I., was promoted to director of operations and administration at Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Ocean State. She is responsible for leading daily operations of the Donation Center program, including collections, inventory/fleet management and logistics, customer service initiatives, and business partner and vendor relations. She also is responsible for facilities management, human resources, IT systems and compliance/workplace safety programs.

’93

Ramachandran “Ram” P. Menon, M.S., has recently joined Michael Best & Friedrich LLP to the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Group as senior counsel. He brings more than 20 years of combined legal, technical, and business experience to the firm.

Melissa Nassaney, M.S. ’04, of West Kingston, R.I., is newly board certified by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialists (ABPTS). Melissa, a clinical coordinator and physical therapist, earned the women’s health clinical specialist certification. She is one of the only two ABPTS board-certified women’s health clinical specialists in Rhode Island.

’95

Brian O’Malley of North Kingstown, R.I., is a recent recipient of the Rhode Island State Council of the Arts’ 2016 Artist Fellowship Award in Film and Video. The RISCA Fellowship Exhibition is an annual event that showcases works by Rhode Island artists who have been awarded by the state for artistic excellence.

’96

Allison Carley-Mandel of Tiverton, R.I. was appointed president of Luca + Danni, the Rhode Island-based, American-made jewelry company. Carley, a seasoned sales veteran in the accessories space, joins Luca + Danni after serving as vice president of sales at Alex and Ani for four years.

Catherine Chenot, M.B.A., of Harrisville, R.I., is newly board certified by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialists (ABPTS). Catherine, a physical therapist at Lifespan’s Allens Avenue facility in Providence, earned the neurology clinical specialist certification in May, 2015. She is one of the only two ABPTS board-certified neurologic clinical specialists in Rhode Island.

Mara Trachtenberg of Wakefield, R.I., is a recent recipient of the Rhode Island State Council of the Arts’ 2016 Artist Fellowship Award in Photography. The RISCA Fellowship Exhibition is an annual event that showcases works by Rhode Island artists who have been awarded by the state for artistic excellence.

’98

Jose B. González, Ph.D., of Quaker Hill, Conn., writes: “Happy New Year! Just wanted to pass along that my poetry collection, Toys Made of Rock, has come out. The publisher is Bilingual Press out of ASU. The book is based on my journey from a non-English speaking immigrant in El Salvador to a professor of English in the U.S. Brian Turner, author of Here, Bullet, says “González is a storyteller and truth teller, a writer who sees that which must be written, must be sung, must be witnessed. The landscape of war is not always comprised of tanks and helicopters. Sometimes it looks like a neighborhood in America.”

’99

Dominick Ciaraldi of Philadelphia, Pa., was recently promoted by Comcast Corporation to vice president, political affairs and community investment. Prior to joining Comcast in 2007, he administered political compliance responsibilities at Safeway Corporation and UST Public Affairs, Inc., managed the Federal Election Commission (FEC) electronic disclosure office via NIC Technologies, and served as a reports analyst for the FEC, in Washington, D.C. He currently serves as a board member for the Public Affairs Council and Neighborhood Bike Works.

’03

Colleen Mouw, M.S., Ph.D. ’09, of Houghton, Mich., has been identified as an extraordinary early career scientist by the White House and NASA. This is the highest honor bestowed by the United States government on science and engineering professionals in the early stages of their independent research careers.

’05

Justin Oswald of Sparkill, N.Y.,is now chief of staff for U.S. Congresswoman Grace Meng of N.Y. He is the youngest Democrat chief of staff in Washington.

’14

Alexandra McGowan of Warwick, R.I., has joined the brand culture and communications firm (add)ventures as a specialist, pr/strategy, to the content team. In her role, she assists in the development, management and execution of public relations, content marketing and social media campaigns. Additionally, she supports client partner events with media relations, event planning services and the coordination of photography and videography.

Weddings

Carlton R. Bradshaw ’06, M.A. ’13 and Amanda Allard, on July 26, 2015.

In Memoriam

Lillian Clark Sandford ’34 of Manchester, Conn., on March 11, 2016.

Phyllis Staveley ’41 of Warwick, R.I., on January 17, 2016.

Annette S. Hockman ’43 of Aventura, Fla., on November 23, 2015.

Lester W. Jordan Sr. ’43 of Cranston, R.I., on February 6, 2016.

Virginia Brice Corwin ’44 of Bronx, N.Y., on August 28, 2015.

Florence V. Taft ’45 of Franklin, Mass., on February 25, 2016.

Doris Briden Nevens ’46 of Meredith, N.H., on March 10, 2016.

Tudor Jones Jr. ’47 of Walnut Creek, Cali., on January 16, 2016.

Anthony Rodi ’47, of Cranston, R.I., on March 2, 2016.

James R. Cardin ’49 of Raleigh, N.C., on January 21, 2016.

Robert F. Poyton ’49 of Warwick, R.I., on August 12, 2015.

Carol L. Robinson ’49 of Boston, Mass., on February 17, 2016.

Robert W. Jordan ’50 of Washington, Pa., on December 12, 2015.

Robert E. Prout ’50 of Jupiter, Fla., on January 3, 2016.

Harold Schwartz ’50 of Sarasota, Fla., on March 20, 2016.

Margaret Cairns Cubberly ’51 of Yorktown, Va., on September 19, 2015.

Arthur H. Levin ’51 of Phoenix, Ariz., on March 12, 2016.

Graham S. Fuller ’52 of Portsmouth, R.I., on February 1, 2016.

Lois Ibbotson Hartnett ’52 of Tiverton, R.I., on August 19, 2015.

Richard A. Staats ’52 of Valparaiso, Ind., on January 31, 2016.

Leon C. Boghossian Jr. ’53 of Pawtucket, R.I., on March 18, 2016.

Gretchen Dale ’53 of Stowe, Vt., on March 2, 2016.

Robert G. DiSpirito, Sr. ’53 of Slippery Rock, Pa., on December 21, 2015.

Harry Hartman ’53 of Ocala, Fla., on September 5, 2015.

Ernest A. Christensen ’54 of New Smyrna Beach, Fla., on September 14, 2015.

Frances S. Garcia ’54 of Tiverton, R.I., on February 17, 2016.

Anthony J. Rose Jr. ’54 of Wakefield, R.I., on March 22, 2016.

Huan-Yang Chang ’57 of University Place, Wash., on November 29, 2015.

Richard A. Gammell ’57 of Providence, R.I., on July 15, 2015.

Ernest A. Gencarelli ’57 of Omaha, Neb., on November 10, 2015.

A. Gilbert Helgerson Jr. ’57 of Sutton, Mass., on January 7, 2016.

David B. Sawyer ’57 of Weslaco, Tex., on February 11, 2016.

Vincent A. Stifano Jr. ’57 of Wethersfield, Conn., on February 22, 2016.

Robert A. Butziger ’58 of Albuquerque, N.M., on December 13, 2015.

Janice Kaszuba Murphy ’60 of Mashpee, Mass., on February 19, 2016.

George Cosmo ’61 of Amherst, N.H., on March 1, 2016.

Carole M. Olmsted ’61 of Camp Hill, Pa., on January 18, 2016.

David K. Welch ’61, M.S. ’66, Ph.D. ’74 of East Greenwich, R.I., on October 30, 2015.

Aileen B. Capalbo ’62 of Wakefield, R.I., on January 6, 2016.

Edward F. DelSignore ’62 of Bolton, Conn., on February 4, 2016.

Giovanni A. Leopre ’62 of Westfield, N.J., on March 10, 2016.

Dennis F. Magner ’62 of Middleboro, Mass., on March 11, 2015.

Edward Stebbins Jr. ’62 of Warwick, R.I., on March 9, 2016.

Kenneth L. Travis ’64 of Fairfax, Va., on February 15, 2016.

William Rizzini ’65 of Bristol, R.I., on February 29, 2016.

Lorraine G. D’Antuono ’66 of Warwick, R.I., on January 9, 2016.

Thomas Larmon ’67 of Round Hill, Va., on August 28, 2015.

Johnes K. Moore ’67 of Marblehead, Mass., on March 13, 2016.

Susan Mary Costello ’68 of Mansfield, Mass., on August 30, 2015.

Thomas W. O’Connell ’68 of Alexandria, Va., on January 19, 2016.

Dennis P. Murphy ’69 of Lakewood Ranch, Fla., on March 27, 2015.

Richard E. Sullivan, M.A. ’69, of Charlestown, R.I., on March 1, 2016.

Alice J. White, M.A. ’69 of Jersey City, N.J., on March 10, 2016.

Mildred Flanagan, M.S. ’70 of Riverside, R.I., on December 12, 2015.

Alexander B. Filonow ’71 of Stillwater, Okla., on January 29, 2016.

Christopher Newton, Ph.D. ’72, of Vancouver, Canada, on March 9, 2016.

Walter R. Peterson ’72 of Pensacola, Fla., on December 18, 2015.

Kenneth B. Schwartz ’72 of Brookline, Mass., on September 3, 2015.

Albert A. Sherman ’72 of Lady Lake, Fla., on September 21, 2015.

Judith Anne McLellan ’73 of Webster, N.Y., on November 8, 2012.

Joseph I. Thurber ’73 of Central Falls, R.I., on June 13, 2015.

Meredith Browning ’74, ’04 of Narragansett, R.I., on November 17, 2015.

Robert E. Reid ’74 of Waterville, Maine, on January 22, 2016.

Stephen G. Tennien ’74 of Myrtle Beach, S.C., on March 15, 2016.

Paul Arbor ’75 of Warwick, R.I., on February 23, 2016.

Ronald Creamer ’75 of South Kingstown, R.I., on February 6, 2016.

Gilbert A. Sirois ’75, M.S. ’80, of Greenville, S.C., on January 25, 2016.

Eileen J. Stukus ’75 of Grafton, Mass., on February 17, 2016.

Grace E. Jerome ’76 of Mount Pleasant, S.C., on March 18, 2016.

Mary F. Fox ’77 of Wickford, R.I., on January 20, 2016.

Brian J. McCartin ’77 of Flint, Mich., on January 29, 2016.

Theresa A. Gay ’79 of North Kingstown, R.I., on December 20, 2015.

James J. Griffin, Ph.D. ’79 of Charlestown, R.I., on March 14, 2016.

Marjorie Milligan ’79 of Providence, R.I., on February 20, 2016.

Eslie McAllester ’80 of Fairhope, Ala., on February 25, 2016.

Elaine H. O’Neill ’80 of Coventry, R.I., on January 25, 2016.

Thomas F. Policastro Jr. ’81 of Providence, R.I., on November 26, 2015.

Pamela M. Szczsponik ’83 of Naperville, Ill., on January 11, 2016.

Karen Murphy Brunelli ’87 of Bristol, R.I., on January 15, 2016.

Louis E. D’Amico III ’88 of Seekonk, Mass., on October 1, 2015.

Mark John David Badway ’91 of North Providence, R.I., on October 23, 2014.

Fred J. Erichsen ’91 of Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y., on January 28, 2016.

James R. Fraher, M.S. ’92, of Warwick, R.I., on March 16, 2016.

Douglas P. Hauser ’92 of East Greenwich, R.I., on January 17, 2016.

Kevin M. Hylander ’98 of Taunton, Mass., on January 15, 2016.

John Waage ’01 of Brookfield, Mass., on February 24, 2016.

Kelly Welsh Greene, P.M.D ’03, of Island Falls, Maine, on January 24, 2016.

Faculty and Staff In Memoriam

Professor Emeritus of Philosophy William Young of Peace Dale, R.I., on June 7, 2015.