SURF 2017 – Student Information
SURF program gearing up for 2017 (May 22 – July 28)
Rhode Island NSF EPSCoR is now accepting applications for the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program, which will run May 22 – July 28, 2017. SURF is open to undergraduates matriculating at all RI NSF EPSCoR partner institutions interested in an intensive, hands-on research experience investigating questions that address the RI NSF EPSCoR focus of the impacts of climate variability on marine life. Consideration will also be given to undergraduates who matriculate outside of these partner schools, but who are RI residents.
- up to twenty-four (24) fellowships will be awarded to qualified undergraduates (rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors)
- fellows will receive a $4,500 stipend for the 10-week program plus $500 for research supplies
- the program will begin on Monday, May 22nd with a mandatory orientation at Roger Williams University
- the program will conclude on Friday, July 28th with the annual SURF Conference, where fellows will present their work to the larger Rhode Island scientific community
- the SURF program will also include a variety of field trips, seminars, workshops, and networking events
To be considered for a SURF award, you will need to complete the online application linked to below. The deadline to submit an application is 9am on Monday, February 27, 2017. It is suggested that all application materials and responses be ready prior to beginning the process. As part of the application, students will need to respond to the following prompts (responses can be copied and pasted into the application):
- What are your educational and professional goals and how do you envision the SURF experience contributing to these goals? [700 word maximum]
- Describe any previous research and/or other experiences that speak to your preparedness and qualifications to enter the SURF program. Include any personal qualities that would benefit a research team [700 word maximum]
- (optional) Is there any additional information you feel the SURF selection committee should know while considering your application? [300 word maximum]
Additionally, students will need to be prepared with the following items:
- Students will be required to upload their undergraduate transcript(s) (in PDF format) as part of the online application.
- Students will need to rank up to three (3) project choices. SURF 2017 Project list.
- Lastly, students will need to provide the names and email addresses of two (2) references who can provide letters of recommendation. Applicants should receive permission to use these individuals as references BEFORE submitting their information on the application. Upon submission of the application, your references will be emailed instructions for uploading their letters. Letters will need to be submitted by 9am on March 6, 2017.