Maintaining your septic system can not only protect local waters, it also can save you money by preventing costly repairs.
- Aside from wastewater, toilet paper is the only other thing that should be flushed.
- Don’t put food down your sink, and don’t use a kitchen garbage disposal.
- As much as possible, reduce your water usage. It reduces the load of wastewater your system has to handle.
- Balance your water usage throughout the week. For example, don’t do all your laundry on Saturday; spread the chore out over the week.
- Is your wash water discharge separate? If so, plan to fix it in the long run, but for now, make sure that the discharge is flowing away from pavement and stormdrains.