Established November 2004
The committee will advise and assist the Vice President of Student Affairs and, when appropriate, members of the Division of Student Affairs on a range of diversity issues including but not limited to the following:
- Proposing strategies for amplifying and implementing the diversity goals in the division of student affairs Strategic Plan;
- Promoting dialogue and consultation that advances the integration of cultural competence into professional practice;
- Promoting opportunities for the development of relationships within and between the division and its constituencies that have the effect of improving the campus climate;
- Offering recommendations for maximizing the retention and success of students from historically underrepresented populations;
- Encouraging linkages between diversity programming, assessment, and student learning; and
- Creating opportunities to identify diversity needs of students, faculty and staff at URI.
The Student Affairs Diversity Committee seeks collaboration with the Academic Affairs Diversity Task Force, and with other URI Division Diversity Committees.
The Student Affairs Diversity Committee encourages collaboration with both student and staff organizations.
Separately, organizations and individuals may apply to the Student Affairs Diversity Grant Fund for small grants to support diversity related events or projects.
Includes departments that administratively report to the VP Student Affairs, and Student Affairs Affiliate departments whose work relates to historically under-represented student populations at URI.
Student Affairs Affiliates and Colleagues
Amy Olson, Hillel, URI Chaplains Association
Naomi Thompson, Associate VP, Division of Community Equity & Diversity
Annie M. Kosar, LGBT Center, Division of CED
Carolyn Sovet, Women’s Center, Division of CED
Melvin Wade, Multicultural Center, Division of CED