URI Summer Sessions

The affordable way to earn credits this summer.

Summer FAQ

• If I am a full-time URI student how do I enroll in a 2017 URI Summer course?

If you are a continuing student (you were registered for at least one URI course in the Spring 2017 semester), log on to e-Campus and follow these step-by-step instructions for enrolling in URI courses via e-Campus.

What do the different section numbers mean for the URI Summer courses listed on e-Campus?

A section number for a URI Summer course helps a student understand when a course is being offered, who is eligible to enroll in it and where it is being offered. Here is a complete breakdown of all section numbers:

1000s – The course will be offered during Summer Session 1 (5/22-6/23). Any student with an active e-Campus account who meets the course prerequisites may enroll. The course may be offered in Kingston, Providence, on the Narragansett Bay Campus or online.

2000s – The course will be offered during Summer Session 2 (6/26-7/28). Any student with an active e-Campus account who meets the course prerequisites may enroll. The course may be offered in Kingston, Providence, on the Narragansett Bay Campus or online.

3000s – The course will be offered during Summer Session 3 (5/22-7/28). Any student with an active e-Campus account who meets the course prerequisites may enroll. The course may be offered in Kingston, Providence, on the Narragansett Bay Campus or online.

4000s – The course will be offered during a set of dates that are dissimilar from Summer Session 1, 2 and 3. Be sure to check e-Campus for the actual course dates and do not enroll until you know you can be available for the duration of the course. Any student with an active e-Campus account who meets the course prerequisites may enroll. The course may be offered in Kingston, Providence, on the Narragansett Bay Campus or online.

5000s – The course will be offered through URI Special Programs. Special Programs courses almost always require a permission number for enrollment. Please contact the course instructor for more information.

6000s – The course will be offered as part of a Summer Study Abroad program. The course could be offered anywhere in the world! Students will be enrolled in these courses via the Office of International Education. Manual registration via e-Campus will not be possible. You can apply for a Summer Study Abroad Program here.

7000s – The course will be offered by URI Talent Development. Only incoming URI Talent Development Students will be eligible for enrollment (special exceptions may be granted in the rarest of circumstances). For class schedules, please review the URI Talent Development Summer Calendar.

8000s- The course is a directed study. The course may be run during Summer Session 1, 2 or 3 and may meet in Kingston, Providence, on the Narragansett Bay Campus or online. You will require a permission number from the listed instructor in order to enroll in the course on e-Campus.

Can non-URI students enroll in 2017 URI Summer courses?

Yes! Follow the registration steps listed under “New Students” here.

When is the last day I can enroll in a 2017 URI Summer course?

Summer Session 1 – Friday, May 26

Summer Session 2 – Friday, June 30

Summer Session 3 – Friday, May 26

Can I petition to add a course after the final day of e-Campus enrollment?

Yes. Complete the URI Petition to Appeal the Add Date Deadline Form and submit it to URI Enrollment Services.

• How do I make sure the credits I earn by completing a URI Summer course can be transferred back to my full-time school?

Contact an administrator or academic advisor at your full-time institution (probably in Enrollment Services or your degree-granting college) and see what you need to obtain from URI to have a URI Summer course approved for transfer credit. Some URI Summer courses may already be accepted for transfer credit by your school. If you need a URI Course Description, you can find it here. If you need a past copy of a syllabus for the course, please contact the URI instructor listed for the course. You can find the appropriate contact information via the URI Faculty and Staff Directory.

How do I request to have an official URI transcript sent to my full-time school?

You can do this manually via your URI e-Campus account. Follow complete instructions here.

How can I make sure the credits I earn at another school can be transferred back to URI?

For complete information, click here. Still have questions? Email them to transfer@etal.uri.edu.

Remember, the credits you transfer back to URI from completing a summer course at another institution will never come with the grade you earned for the course. If you are looking to affect your GPA this summer, you can only do so with URI Summer courses.

• e-Campus will not let me enroll in a URI Summer course because I do not meet a certain prerequisite. What can I do?

If you have previously completed all course prerequisites or will have completed them by the time the course begins, please explain this to the instructor listed for the course via email. You can find the appropriate contact information for the instructor via the URI Faculty and Staff Directory. If an instructor is not yet listed for the course in which you are interested, please email John Olerio at jolerio@uri.edu

Please note that to request a permission number for any MTH summer course, please direct your request to the URI Math Department Chairperson, Dr. James Baglama at jbaglama@uri.edu. Additionally, you can be placed on a waiting list for a permission number for a 2017 URI Summer MTH course by following the instructions listed here.

If you would like to request a permission number for a CHM summer course, please request one online here. Please follow-up on your request by sending unofficial transcripts to Dr. Bill Euler, the Chairperson of the URI Chemistry Department. His email address is chair@chm.uri.edu. You can view and download sample CHM syllabi here.

If you would like to enroll in a BUS summer course and require a permission number for registration, please request to be added to the course by emailing Kathy Conlon, the URI College of Business academic advisor, at kconlon@uri.edu.

Once I have received a permission number, how do I use it on e-Campus?

To enroll in a course that is full or that requires permission:

1. If you want to enroll in a course that is full or requires a permission number contact the professor to acquire the number.
    2. From the e-Campus homepage click on “Add a Class” under the “Academics” heading. Find the class you want to sign up for by searching, browsing the catalog or entering the class number.
    3. Click on “Select Class”. In the “Permission Nbr” box provided type in/paste the unique number that was issued to you for the particular course you selected.
    4. Click “Next” and the class will be put into your “Enrollment Shopping Cart”.
    5. Click “Proceed to Step 2 of 3”.
    6. Confirm that the classes are correct and click “Finish Enrolling”. Make sure to check that the status displays a green check, to verify that you were successfully enrolled.
  • How much does a 2016 URI Summer course cost?

URI Summer courses are priced per credit according to the following rates:

Undergraduate Courses (100-499)Graduate Courses (500+)
    Rhode Island Residents$225$303
    Regional Status Students$394$454
    Out-of-State Residents$408$462

Please note that additional fees are associated with URI Summer course registration depending on the student and course. You can view these fees here.

Is financial aid available for URI Summer Sessions?

If you are registered for six or more credits for the 2017 URI Summer Sessions, you may be eligible for Federal Direct Loans to help fund your studies. Once you are officially registered for six or more credits on e-Campus for this summer, complete the Summer 2017 Direct Loan Application and submit it to URI Enrollment Services in Green Hall on the Kingston campus via mail or fax.

• When and where will I be billed for my 2017 URI Summer tuition and fees?

2017 URI Summer e-Bills will be generated on e-Campus. Your my.uri.edu email account will be notified by URI Enrollment Services as soon as your e-Bill is posted to e-Campus. This email notification will contain the date by which the bill will need to be paid in full.

All students who register before or on Friday, May 19 will be billed on the 5/19. Students who register between 5/20 and Friday, June 23 will be billed on 6/23. All students who register between 6/24 and Friday, June will be billed on Friday, July 14.

Students with unpaid Summer 2017 balances as of Tuesday, August 1 will be assessed late payment fees starting Wednesday, August 2.

How do I pay my 2017 URI Summer bill?

Electronic payments are encouraged, but a payment coupon can be printed from the e-Bill Portal for those who prefer to pay by mailing a check. For complete e-Bill information, please click here.

When is my 2017 URI Summer bill due?

If your 2017 URI Summer bill is posted on Friday, May 19, it will be due by Wednesday, June 14.

If your 2017 URI Summer bill is posted on Friday, June 23, it will be due by Thursday, July 13.

If your 2017 URI Summer bill is posted on Friday, July 14, it will be due by Monday, July 31.

Are payment plans available for my 2017 URI Summer bill?

There are no structured payment plans available through the University for 2017 URI Summer bills. Please note that you may make incremental online payments toward your balance at your convenience through the date by which the bill must be paid in full.

• Which tuition waivers are eligible for use during URI Summer Sessions?

Senior citizens and unemployed students may be eligible to use tuition waivers for credit courses. Please call 401-874-9500 in Kingston, or 401-277-5090 in Providence, for information.

Eligible URI employees seeking information regarding tuition waivers for Summer Sessions 2017 are directed to follow the directions on this memo.

Rhode Island National Guard: The Rhode Island General Assembly has enacted legislation granting limited tuition waivers to members of the Rhode Island National Guard. For further information, contact the Rhode Island National Guard and/or Enrollment Services at 401-874-9500 in Kingston, or 401-277-5090 in Providence.

Disabled American Veterans: The Rhode Island General Assembly has enacted legislation granting tuition waivers to Disabled American Veterans. For details regarding this program, call 401-874-9500 in Kingston, or 401-277-5090 in Providence.

Restrictions: Special and non-credit programs are limited to specific types of tuition waivers. If unsure of your eligibility, call 401-277-5050.

Veterans Benefits: Registrants claiming VA educational benefits must contact the VA clerk at Kingston 874-9500 and fill out the Veteran’s Certification Worksheet for VA Benefits form.

• Can I live on the Kingston Campus during Summer Sessions?

Yes! For complete information, click here.

Are meal plans available during Summer Sessions?

Dining Services will provide a combo meal plan for all on-campus summer residents. The Ram’s Den will be open 7:30am-1:30pm, Monday-Friday and closed Saturday and Sunday for the duration of Summer Sessions.

There will be two combo meal plan options for students who want to eat at the Ram’s Den, but will not be living on campus this summer: (1) 50 combo meals for $300 and (2) 100 combo meals for $500. Learn more by visiting the URI Dining Services website.

There are always Emporium merchants open during the Summer Sessions that accept cash, credit card, and Ram Account transactions. Many of these merchants also deliver. See a list of Ram Account merchants here.

• When will my URI Summer course start and end?

Summer Session 1: 5/22-6/23

Summer Session 2: 6/26-7/28

Summer Session 3: 5/22-7/28

• When will under-enrolled URI Summer courses be cancelled?

Summer Session 1: Thursday, 5/18

Summer Session 2: Thursday, June 22

Summer Session 3: Thursday, 5/18

Please note that courses with an enrollment of three students or fewer may be cancelled even earlier than the dates listed above.

What constitutes a course being “under-enrolled”?

It is URI policy that summer courses with less than nine students enrolled be cancelled the Thursday before the start of the session in which they are to be offered. If you are enrolled in a course that is being cancelled, you will be notified via email and will be available to you to discuss alternative options for URI Summer enrollment. Please note that there are always exceptions to the less-than-nine student enrollment threshold. Do not assume a course will be cancelled because of the number of students enrolled in it.

• How do I know where my course will meet on the Kingston Campus?

Your course location will be listed on e-Campus. You may also consult the URI Summer Course Listing Sneak Peek, but e-Campus will always reflect the most accurate information.

Where can I find a map of the Kingston Campus?

Right here.

How do I access WIFI on the Kingston Campus?

For instructions, click here.

Will my instructor(s) contact me before my summer course(s) begin?

In the days leading up to the beginning of your course(s), your URI Summer instructor(s) will most likely welcome you to class with a message through Sakai or an email to your my.uri.edu account. It is imperative that you have access to this email address and your URI Sakai account before your summer course begins.

How do I contact my instructor?

If you require a syllabus or have a specific question about your course, please find the appropriate contact information for your instructor via the URI Faculty and Staff Directory.

How do I know the materials I will need to buy for my URI Summer course(s)?

The URI Campus Store will be open for text book sales throughout the month of May. During this time, Campus Store hours will be 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday. You will be able to order course materials online for all URI Summer courses through the URI Campus Store website starting the morning of Monday, May 15th. Please visit the URI Campus Store website for further details.

Where can I obtain a URI Campus ID?

If you would like to obtain a URI Campus ID Card for your time enrolled at the University, you may visit the URI Campus ID Office on the main floor of the URI Memorial Student Union. Please be sure to bring a form of photo identification with you to the office. The URI Campus ID Office will be announcing summer hours soon.

When is the URI Kingston Library Open?

Throughout Summer Sessions, the Robert L. Carothers Library will be open according to the following schedule:

Monday-Thursday: 8am-10pm

Friday: 8am-5pm

Saturday: Closed

Sunday: 1pm-10pm

Please visit the Carothers Library website for further details.

Where can I park my car on the Kingston Campus during my classes?

During 2017 Summer Sessions, students do not need to have a parking permit. Students may park in any student lot including Commuter, Resident, General Student, and Greek. Students should not park in Faculty/Staff or Visitor parking lots. For more information, please visit the URI Parking and Transportation Services website.

When will URI Health Services Be Open?

During Summer Sessions, URI Health Services will offer clinical services by appointment Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 3:00pm. Please visit the URI Health Services website for further details

• How do I access my URI Summer online course?

Many URI Summer online courses are administered entirely through URI Sakai.

MUS courses can be a notable exception and alternatively administered via connect4education.

If you have specific questions about your URI Sakai account, please contact Ben Leveille at 401-874-4484 or benleveillee@uri.edu.

How do I contact my instructor?

The URI Campus Store will be open for text book sales throughout the month of May. During this time, Campus Store hours will be 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday. You will be able to order course materials online for all URI Summer courses through the URI Campus Store website starting the morning of Monday, May 16th. Please visit the URI Campus Store website for further details.

• How do I get to the URI Feinstein Providence Campus?

Driving Directions to the URI Feinstein Providence Campus.

How do I access WIFI at the URI Feinstein Providence Campus?

For instructions, click here.

How do I contact my instructor?

The URI Providence Campus Store will be open 9am-4pm from Monday, 5/22 – Friday, 5/26. For the remainder of Summer Session 1, the hours will be 11am-4pm, Monday-Friday. The URI Providence Campus Store will be closed Saturdays and Sundays for the duration of 2017 Summer Sessions. Please visit The CEPS Campus Store Website for more information. You will be able to order course materials online for all URI Summer courses through the URI Campus Store website starting the morning of Monday, May 15th.

When will I be able to use The College of Continuing Education Library?
    Throughout Summer Sessions, the College of Continuing Education Library at the URI Providence Campus will be open according to the following schedule:

Monday-Thursday: 8am-8:30pm

Friday: 8am-4pm

Saturday-Sunday: Closed

Please visit the CEPS Library Website for further details.

Where can I park my car during my classes in Providence?

As a student enrolled in a 2017 URI Summer course that meets regularly at the URI Providence Campus, you will be able to obtain a temporary parking pass useable for either Rhode Island Convention Center Parking Garage. During the first day your class meets, please park in either garage (you will need to take a ticket for payment upon entering either garage, but once you have your temporary parking pass, you will not need to pay any fee associated with the ticket). RI Convention Center Parking Facility personnel will be in the URI Providence Campus Student Lounge, located on the first floor, issuing parking passes from 12pm-1pm and 4:30pm-6pm, Monday May 22 – Thursday, May 25. To learn more about the process for obtaining a URI Providence Campus summer parking pass, click here.

Summer Session 2 Providence parking information will be posted soon.

• How do I drop my URI Summer Course?

You must manually drop any course which do not plan to complete via your e-Campus account. Please do not ask a URI administrator to complete a course drop on your behalf.

Will I be reimbursed for my URI Summer tuition and fees if I drop my URI Summer course?

Depending on when you drop your URI Summer course, full refunds and partial refunds are automatically granted accordingly to the following schedule:

2017 URI Summer Drop ScheduleSS1SS2SS3
    Last day to add courses:May 26June 30May 26
    Last day to drop (100% fee adjust):May 22-May 23June 26-June 27May 22-May 25
    Last day to drop (70% fee adjust):May 24-May 28June 28-July 2May 26-May 29
    *Last day to drop (50% fee adjust):May 29-May 30July 3-July 5May 30-June 2
    Final deadline to drop:June 2July 7June 9

Can I petition for a full refund of my Summer tuition and fees even if I did not drop my course(s) during the appropriate time period?

Yes you can. Please complete the URI Petition to Chance Effective Date of Dropped Courses Form and submit it to URI Enrollment Services (submission instructions listed on the form). Please be sure to read the “Important Information” on page two of the form before completing it. Note that URI Enrollment Services reserves the right to deny your petition.

Can I petition to drop a course after the e-Campus drop deadline?

Yes. Complete the URI Petition to Appeal the Drop Date Deadline Form and submit it to URI Enrollment Services.

• Can I take a URI Summer course as pass/fail?

A matriculated undergraduate student above the freshman level who is not on probation may register under this plan for courses considered to be free, unattached electives by the college in which he or she is enrolled. Courses designated in the student’s curriculum as degree requirements, general education requirements, and military science courses may not be included. Non-matriculating students are not eligible for the pass-fail grading option.

A student choosing to take a summer course under this plan must notify his or her advisor, academic dean, and the Office of Registration and Records, in writing, prior to the end of the add period of the summer session (1, 2 or 3) in which the summer course is being offered. The instructor is not informed.

Grades will be P (pass) or F (fail). The P grade is credited toward degree requirements but not included in the grade point average. The F grade is calculated in the same manner as any other failure. A student may change from the P-F option to grade by notifying Registration and Records in writing before mid-semester.

A student may elect no more than two P-F courses during a summer.

Pass/Fail forms are available at each URI college dean’s office.

Can I audit a URI Summer course?

When you audit, you have permission to attend a course without taking it for credit. (Auditing is not permitted in noncredit courses.) You may be admitted to a class on a space-available basis with the instructor’s consent as indicated by his or her signature on an audit authorization form, which must be filed in Enrollment Services before the end of the add period. The instructor will determine the extent to which you may participate in class activities. Your name will not appear on official class rosters, and the course will not be noted on your grade report or permanent academic record. Note: You must be enrolled in at least one other course to be permitted to audit a course without additional fees.

• Are study abroad courses offered during URI Summer Sessions?

Yes! Learn more about the URI Summer Study Abroad Program here.

• How do I setup an independent or directed study for URI Summer Sessions?

Download and complete the URI Summer Sessions Directed Study Form. Before you begin, be sure your URI Enrollment Services record does not have any holds against it. You will not be able to register for a directed study through URI Summer Sessions until all such holds have been removed. You will be responsible for completing section 1 of this form. Once you have completed section 1, please submit it to the instructor you will be working with this summer. You must have a URI faculty or staff member agree to oversee your directed study. Note: it is your responsibility to ensure your instructor has received this form. Always be sure to confirm with the instructor the receipt of the completed form. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to email directedstudies@etal.uri.edu.

• If I am having trouble with my Sakai account who can help me?

You can access a Sakai login help page here. A more detailed Sakai self-help page can be accessed here. Please contact the URI IT Help Desk at 401-874-4357 or helpdesk@uri.edu or contact Ben Leveille at 401-874-4484 or benleveillee@uri.edu. The URI IT Help Desk summer hours are 8am-5pm.

If I am having trouble with my my.uri.edu account who can help me?

Please contact the URI IT Help Desk at 401-874-4357 or helpdesk@uri.edu. The URI IT Help Desk summer hours are 8am-5pm. You can access a my.uri.edu email self-help page here.

If I am having trouble with my e-Campus account who can help me?

Please contact the URI IT Help Desk at 401-874-4357 or helpdesk@uri.edu. The URI IT Help Desk summer hours are 8am-5pm. You can access an e-Campus self-help page here.

• Is URI Summer Sessions on social media?

Yes! Follow URI Summer on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

Think Big We Do