Full-Time Employment Opportunities
When and if there are vacancies for full-time positions with the Talent Development Program, positions will be posted on the University of Rhode Island’s Employment Opportunities page, managed by the Office of Human Resources.
Talent Development Summer Program Course Tutor Job Description
- Small group instruction/review of specific, syllabus driven content material
- Integration of content specific learning strategies into tutorial sessions
- Integration of self-management techniques reflective of course syllabus into tutorial sessions
- Close monitoring of individual student’s management of course work
- On-going assessment of individual student’s academic performance
- Assessment of individual academic needs, and ability to develop learning plans to address those needs
- Full day of tutor training provided.
- Tutoring is held Sundays through Wednesdays from 6 to 9 PM
- Each tutor has an assigned classroom
- Tutorial groups consist of 10-15 students
- Groups meet from 6 – 7:15 and 7:30 – 8:45
- Written evaluations of students are only required where consistent problems need to be addressed with the input of core staff
Talent Development is seeking applicants for Tutors for the following academic courses:
Communication Fundamentals / COM 100: 6 positions
Introduction to African-American Studies / AAF 201 1 position
Intro to Gender and Women’s Studies / GWS 150 5 positions
- BA/BS strongly preferred; senior status with 90 credits earned required Applicants without a bachelor’s degree must submit a copy of their unofficial transcript with their application.
- Previous teaching or tutoring experience strongly preferred, especially with varied racial and ethnic populations.
- Small group instructional/review sessions based on on-going course work.
- Ongoing assessment of students’ academic performance.
- Ability to incorporate learning strategies into daily course work.
Dates and hours
- Mandatory tutor training: Saturday, June 11, 9 am – 3:30 pm
- Mandatory Staff Orientation: Wednesday, June 15, 9 am -4:00 pm
- June 26 through July 27, Sundays through Wednesdays, 6 pm-9 pm.
- No tutoring sessions July 3 or 4. Holiday make up session Thursday July 7
- $2000 / five weeks; this includes paid staff orientation and meetings
To Apply: Submit Resume and Cover Letter by April 8, 2016 to:
Sharon Forleo, Associate Director
If the applicant pool is insufficient, the deadline will be extended