How can you be a more effective online or blended instructor? We’re glad you asked! Here are 10 tips that will put you on the right path:
- create a learning environment that makes use of life, work, and educational experiences as part of creating a meaningful learning process.
- present the online curriculum and material in a manner that allows the student to translate theory into a practice.
- provide students with multiple opportunities to develop and improve their performance throughout the course.
- make reasonable accommodation (flexibility) for students’ context and needs.
- ask for and listen to feedback provided by students.
- keep students up to date regarding their progress and performance on assessments.
- provided timely and quality feedback should to students based on their contributions to learning activities and collaborative tasks and discussions.
- don’t lecture!
- choose discussion, case analysis, problem solving, and other such interactive learning activities over memorization and regurgitation.
- try to be online every day, or at least five out of seven days a week. Students need to know you are around and accessible!
Adapted from A Guide to Quality in Online Learning, by Academic Partnerships.