If you have another Google email account – a personal Gmail account, for example, and you want to migrate your data from it to Google Apps, see Google’s instructions. Besides Gmail to Google Apps migrations, you can also do Google Apps to Google Apps migrations.
Below are instructions for updating your email address, for finding out which lists you are subscribed to, and for managing your LISTSERV subscriptions and performing maintenance tasks such as deleting old email addresses.
You received an email from LISTSERV@LISTSERV.URI.EDU with the subject line ‘Rejected Posting to LISTNAME@LISTSERV.URI.EDU’
If you posted to a list and received an email from LISTSERV@LISTSERV.URI.EDU stating that you are not authorized to post to that list, it means LISTSERV does not recognize your Google Apps email address. You need to update your address so it will recognize you and allow you to post. Follow these steps:
- Contact the list owner by clicking on the link LISTNAME-request@LISTSERV.UEDU at the bottom of the email; a new email window will open.
- In the text box, enter your request such as: Please change my subscription email address to firstname.lastname@example.org (where ecampusid is your e-Campus ID).
- Send the email.
You will receive a response email from LISTSERV@LISTSERV.URI.EDU asking you to confirm that you sent the request. Confirm in either of two ways:
- Reply to the message by typing OK in the text of your email and hit send, or
- Click on the link at the bottom of the email, http://listserv.uri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?OK=E62159FB&L=LISTNAME
You will then receive a reply that the message was successfully confirmed. Next, you will receive a confirmation that your request was forwarded to the list owners, as well as some general LISTSERV information:
Your message to LISTNAME-request@LISTSERV.URI.EDU has been forwarded to the list owner, etc.
Once the list owner changes your email address, you will be notified providing the list owner has the Notify function enabled.
You can manage your subscriptions via the Web or via email. Below are instructions for both.
Via the Web
To see the URI LISTSERV lists to which you are subscribed, change your email address, or subscribe/unsubscribe to/from lists:
- Go to the LISTSERV.URI.EDU home page at http://listserv.uri.edu.
- Click on Subscriber’s Corner.
- Click on Login.
- Enter your email address and your LISTSERV password and click the Log In button. If you have never entered a password or have forgotten it, click on get a new LISTSERV password and follow the instructions. Once you are logged in, you will see your lists.
Click on a specific list to view your subscription, change your email address, delete an old email address, or change your membership status.
You can manage your lists via email using commands and message postings to the list owner as explained below.
Send commands to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.URI.EDU (not the mailing list itself) to do the following:
- Subscribe to list: SUB
- Unsubscribe from list: UNSUB
- See your lists: QUERY *
To do any of the above:
- Address your email message to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.URI.EDU. Do not put anything else in the mail header.
- In the text box, type the command you want to use; you can enter as many commands as you like, as long as each command is on a separate line.
- Delete any signature lines and/or turn off auto-inclusion of your signature file. LISTSERV treats signature lines as commands and will send error messages saying ‘unknown command’.
To subscribe to a URI listserv list with a new email address:
—– Text Box —–
SUB listname Your Name
where listname is the list’s name and Your Name is your real name; e.g, SUB news Jane Doe.
- LISTSERV software will record the email address from which you are sending the command.
- LISTSERV will send a message asking you to confirm your subscription request, and will then send a notification/welcome message when you’ve been added to a list.
- You can subscribe to any open list you wish. If you try to subscribe to a closed list or to one that has limited subscription, LISTSERV will send a notice with further information.
To Unsubscribe from a URI list with an old email address:
Send an e-mail using your old email address to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.URI.EDU with this command in the message:
where listname is the list’s name; e.g., UNSUB news. LISTSERV will send a notification message that you’ve been removed.
Using Message Postings:
Contact the list owner and request a change as follows:
- Address an email to LISTNAME-request@LISTSERV.URI.EDU where LISTNAME is the name of your list.
- In the text box of the email, enter your request such as: Please change my subscription email address to email@example.com (where ecampusid is your e-Campus ID).
For additional information on tools and options, go to the L-Soft Website at http://www.lsoft.com/resources/manuals.asp.
A Guide For Day One: Getting Started
- To get to your Google Apps account login page, type the following URL into your browser address field and hit Enter:
You will be on the Google page; the Sign In icon is located in the right upper corner. Click on it to login.
- Enter your e-Campus ID followed by @uri.edu; i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enter your email password. If this is your first time on your Google Apps account, the initial password is your birthday in the format mmddyyyy; you will be asked to change it. Then click log in.
When you are finished, be sure to sign out! Go to the upper right corner of the screen. You will see your email address with a drop-box icon. Click on it. The Sign Out button is located at the bottom of the screen that appears:
If you know your Google Apps password and wish to change it, do the following:
- Login to your Google Account.
- Pull down the Settings menu at the far right (the icon looks like a gear) and select Settings.
- Choose the Accounts and Import tab.
- In the list of options, choose Google Account settings at the top. This will open a new page.
- Scroll down to Password. Click on the date listed as the last time it was updated. This will open the login page, where you will be asked to re-enter your current password. After you’ve entered your password, click Sign In. On the page that opens, follow directions and enter your new password.
If you forgot your password:
Call the Help Desk at 874-4357 and ask to have your Google Apps password reset.
We recommend strongly that you process your email
on a Web browser rather than a desktop client!
Browser processing ensures that you experience the full benefits of Google Apps and you have our Help Desk staff to give you full support and assistance with browser-related questions and issues.
If you choose to continue to use a desktop client, the instructions below will get you set up using Thunderbird, Outlook, or Apple Mail.
Note: To use a desktop client, you must first enable IMAP via the settings in the Web interface; see Enable IMAP for Device Syncing above for instructions.
To import your Contacts from your current location to Google Apps, see the instructions at Google Contacts.
Go to the Learning Center page and select Calendar.
Go to the Learning Center page and select Mobile Devices.
The URI Directory is automatically populated with official URI email addresses only.