Post Your Questions and Comments

Do you have a question that wasn’t answered on the Questions and Answers page? Post it here and we will try to get an answer for you as fast as we can.

You can post your comments about the project here too.

All comments are moderated so there may be a delay before your comment appears on this page.

Contact information (name, email, website) is optional, but by providing this information you give us the ability to follow-up with questions or additional information.

73 Comments

1. Judy
    April 21, 2014 @ 2:36 pm

In the Zimbra system, we can create an alias. My uri account name is “vellosa” but I use the alias “vanwyk” so that my students can find me. Fifteen years ago, our uri accounts were not tied to our email and I have been informed that there is no way to change a URI account name. That’s why an alias was available. Is there an alias function in the new Google system?

Reply

• ITS Team
      April 25, 2014 @ 10:26 am

Mail sent to faculty and staff using an existing email alias, including @mail.uri.edu (Zimbra) and @ds.uri.edu (Exchange) will continue to be forwarded automatically to your ecampususerID@uri.edu account with Google. ITS at URI is maintaining this service. So in your case, your email address with the migration to Google will be vellosa@uri.edu. Any mail someone sends to vanwyk@uri.edu will be automatically forwarded to vellosa@uri.edu.

Reply

2. Colleen
    April 24, 2014 @ 11:26 am

How soon will we be able to access our email within Gmail. I am looking forward to the migration (I have always disliked Zimbra). Thank you.

Reply

• ITS Team
      April 25, 2014 @ 10:31 am

Glad you are looking forward to the migration! At this time, the project timeline (posted at http://web.uri.edu/urigoogle/about/) has the bulk of Zimbra accounts being migrated later in 2014 into early 2015. As each division/college/department is scheduled, notifications will go out to those individuals about 2 or 3 weeks in advance. A delay or changes to the high level timeline will be published through campus email announcements and on this website.

Reply

3. Tom
    December 12, 2014 @ 11:10 am

Why will we not be able to forward email from uri.edu to another email account? Many of us use this feature currently, and Google Apps supports this feature; in fact, it has to be disabled to block its use. Why is this important and widely used feature being denied to users?

Reply

4. Andree Rathemacher
    December 12, 2014 @ 11:36 am

I currently forward my URI email to Gmail. I like a combined account. I have years of work email in my personal Gmail account. I want to be able to migrate my old emails, my labels, my calendar from my personal Gmail to Google Apps for education.

I also want to be able to forward my personal Gmail to Google Apps for Education. Please include instructions on doing this things on your help page. A lot of people at URI, as you know, already use Gmail and are going to want to be able to transfer their old Google content to the new location. Thanks.

Reply

• Renee Hobbs
      January 24, 2015 @ 9:03 am

I agree, Andree. I have found it very difficult for the past 2 weeks to have to continually move between my gmail accounts. It’s been a burden to have to figure out which calendar, which Drive and which email account has what I need. I would like the ability to have my URI gmail account forward to my primary gmail account.

Reply

5. Amanda Izenstark
    January 2, 2015 @ 10:22 am

As part of my committee work, I collaborate with colleagues state-wide and nation-wide. When I went to share a Google Doc in my account with the setting “Anyone with the link can edit” so that my colleagues without Google accounts could access and modify the committee’s document, I noticed that this level of sharing was not available. Will this be changed, or will our ability to share documents with our colleagues at other institutions be limited?

Reply

• ITS Team
      January 7, 2015 @ 5:54 pm

Thanks for information on your doc sharing needs. We will be looking into fine tuning the use of many of the Google Apps we now have access to. We will continue to put forth information on the use of these apps.

Reply

• Jon
        March 5, 2015 @ 4:16 pm

It appears that this limitation also makes it impossible to create a link to a document that can be shared with students at URI since the my.uri.edu domain is a separate domain.

Reply

• ITS Team
          March 13, 2015 @ 12:45 pm

Yes you are correct, link sharing Google Drive items does not work, sharing via emails even if in different domains does work.

Reply

• David Brown
          September 2, 2015 @ 10:40 am

This inability to share with students is a big problem for me. I really need to set up some spreadsheets that students can collaboratively edit. (Sharing the document files via email attachments is an awful way to attempt this; I would not say it works. I’m also not interested in individually approving scores of requests to access each file.)

As nothing has been done in the past 6 months to address this, I suppose I’ll have to create a “burner” account with Google to hold these files that does not have the restriction. (Yay; another password to manage.)

Reply

• ITS Team
            September 2, 2015 @ 2:27 pm

David,

I routinely share spreadsheets with students to edit with no problem. I share using their my.uri.edu email adressess and they are able to edit just fine. Please call (874-4357) or email (helpdesk@uri.edu) the Help Desk with the specific difficulty you are having so we can help you resolve it.

6. Jon
    January 5, 2015 @ 2:24 pm

I have been using my @main.uri.edu address to register at a number of external web sites. Does this mean that I have to go through all of those web sites and tell them to use my new @uri.edu address? Or will the old address remain an alias for the new address (forever)?

Reply

• ITS Team
      January 7, 2015 @ 5:49 pm

The @mail.uri.edu addresses have been made aliases to the @uri.edu accounts on Google Apps. You will receive mail addressed to that address on Google Apps.

Reply

7. Jon
    January 5, 2015 @ 4:18 pm

Another question: Are students with @my.uri.edu addresses considered to be on the same domain as the new @uri.edu addresses?

I noticed that I cannot transfer ownership of a Google Drive document that I had created with my personal Google account to my new @uri.edu account because the account are in different domains. So I am wondering, can a student with a @my.uri.edu address transfer ownership of a document to me with my @uri.edu address, or would these also be considered to be in different domains?

Reply

• Amanda Izenstark
      January 13, 2015 @ 9:26 am

Hi Jon –

Speaking as someone with both a my.uri.edu account and a uri.edu account and not an ITS rep, no, it’s not possible to transfer ownership of documents across the two domains. I have a number of materials I would like to transfer to my uri.edu account, and I’m unable to.

The workaround I have is to share the my.uri.edu-owned document with my uri.edu account, make a copy of the document, then delete the old document.

If you have the document in question shared with anyone, you’ll need to re-share the document.

Reply

• Andree Rathemacher
        January 13, 2015 @ 9:49 am

I found the same thing (inability to transfer ownership). I accomplished the same thing as Amanda by downloading my work files from my personal gmail and then re-uploading them to my uri.edu account.

Reply

8. Cyndi
    January 7, 2015 @ 1:46 pm

Is it possible to group multiple calendars together and view them as one calendar? I noticed that I can just click on people’s names and all of their appointments show on one calendar, but I am wondering if there is a way to create a group calendar in general. Thank you!

Reply

• ITS Team
      January 16, 2015 @ 11:02 am

Hi Cyndi,

You can create a secondary calendar and share it out with the necessary permissions for the group, i.e. view only, edit/manage, etc.
      This calendar will be owned by the creator. Later this spring we will have a solution for departmental based accounts.

Reply

9. Michele Meek
    January 7, 2015 @ 3:03 pm

I have the same section as Andree – I don’t see a way to forward the new URI Gmail to my personal Gmail account. Can you explain how to do that?

Reply

10. Kim Hensley Owens
    January 7, 2015 @ 9:22 pm

I, too, have always had my uri email forwarded to my personal gmail account, and have 7.5 years of work saved in that account. I would like there to be a way to forward any email that might go to my uri email to the account I have carefully set up over several years.

Also: I did sign up, or sign in, to this new account and noticed that I cannot control how my own name is displayed–I use all three names in all professional communication, and never ever ever go by just my first and last names. I know I’m not alone in wanting to control how my name looks. It would be great to a) have the forwarding option from uri to gmail work, and b) be able to include middle names or middle initials or use middle names instead of first names or whatever we faculty use professionally that might not match up with “first name last name.”

Thanks!

Reply

• Kim Hensley Owens
      January 7, 2015 @ 9:42 pm

Actually with more poking I was able to change the way my name displays on the email portion.

Reply

11. Andree Rathemacher
    January 12, 2015 @ 6:10 pm

GAFE Questions and Concerns.

Let me say “thanks,” and its is great to have Gmail and Google Apps at URI. I do have a couple of concerns that I’ve run into, however.

1) A number of my professional group listservs are run by Google groups. When I try to set my uri.edu email to post to these groups, I get the message “Posting has been disabled for this member by their domain administrator.” In another instance, I got the message “Access to public Google Groups has been restricted by your domain admin.” This seems way too restrictive for an academic institution. I need to be able to participate in communication with professional groups using my uri.edu email. Can this setting be changed?

2) Google Drive documents can only be shared within URI, not to the wider Web. Here are two examples where this doesn’t seem like a good thing.

a) http://uri.libguides.com/researchimpact — This guide embeds a Google Drive presentation. We are currently embedding the presentation from a personal gmail account, because if embedded from a URI GDrive account, it will not be visible except to URI GAFE users.

b) Likewise for the spreadsheets embedded here: http://uri.libguides.com/oafund/reports. They are embedded from my personal Google account. We need to be able to publish documents openly on the web.

Hopefully these are minor setting changes that can be tweaked.

Thank you very much.
    Andree Rathemacher
    Library

Reply

12. Andree Rathemacher
    January 12, 2015 @ 6:13 pm

Oh, in answer to transferring personal gmail (previously used to retrieve uri mail) to the uri.edu Gmail account, I found instructions here, and they work:

http://www.howtogeek.com/148036/how-to-migrate-your-google-account-to-a-new-one/

It is painstaking, however, because you have to migrate folder-by-folder, and I had over 500 folders/labels.

I lost my weekend, but it’s done.

Reply

13. Barbara Newman
    January 13, 2015 @ 11:20 am

What are the steps for sending my google mail to my personal yahoo account?

Reply

14. Anonymous
    January 14, 2015 @ 6:24 pm

How do we forward from the @uri.edu email accounts? A tutorial on this would be appreciated. Thank you!

Reply

15. Amanda Izenstark
    January 15, 2015 @ 1:06 pm

Sending mail as an etal.uri.edu account – is this in the works?

As one of the Library webmasters, I had set up my Zimbra account (and later my my.uri.edu account) to send email as that etal account. Now, however, I can’t do that – the error message that I receive when I try to add the etal account is “You must send through etal.uri.edu SMTP servers when you send as libweb@etal.uri.edu. However, this functionality is not available for your account. Please contact your domain administrator for more information.”

Does this mean I now have to log in to the etal account to respond to emails addressed to that account?

Reply

16. David
    January 15, 2015 @ 3:46 pm

We use an etal.uri.edu account. Can this be used in gmail as well? If so, how do we migrate to gmail?

Thanks.

Reply

• ITS Team
      January 16, 2015 @ 11:09 am

Hi David,

We will be moving the etal accounts to Google Apps later this Spring. We will be contacting the etal.uri.edu users as we get close to that time

Reply

17. Anonymous
    January 18, 2015 @ 10:27 am

Hi, if I have an @my.uri.edu e-mail, do I need to do anything different w/ my gmail?

Also, when I try signing into the classroom, it is no accepting my class sign in.

Reply

• ITS Team
      January 26, 2015 @ 10:03 am

The my.uri.edu and uri.edu accounts are separate accounts.

We currently have classroom turned off as it does not work over multiple domains which is what we currently have.

Reply

• dmqb
        March 13, 2015 @ 12:10 pm

I’m still unclear about what is going to happen to the @my.uri.edu account, to which my current classes (as art-time faculty) are tethered, and to which my professional email address for list-serves, etc points. I don’t see the benefit of giving up my @my.uri.edu, if I stand to lose everything, and have to spend much time bouncing between accounts. I can’t be only only former grad student turned instructor that has this problem.

Reply

• ITS Team
          March 13, 2015 @ 12:57 pm

You can still use your @my.uri.edu account as you are. As a faculty member you do have an @uri.edu email for URI business. You can use Google’s Mail Fetcher to read both emails in one web view. Essentially you will be adding one account to the other and popping the mail in. For instructions on this, please see: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/21289?hl=en Note there are settings that will allow you to leave the mail in the other account or delete when popped. Note also, that there is no auto-forwarding of the @uri.edu account to another account. If you do not want to merge the accounts, you can log into both accounts in the same browser and just switch tabs.

Reply

18. Renee Hobbs
    January 22, 2015 @ 8:10 pm

Why is YouTube disabled? What if students want to be able to participate in a Google Hangout? Will they be able to use their URI gmail to participate?

Reply

19. Renee Hobbs
    January 24, 2015 @ 9:00 am

I’m trying to use Mailstrom, which is a great online tool for email management that enables me to clean up my email box and manage it. I have used this service for more than a year and it’s very valuable to me.

I have tried to add hobbs@uri.edu to my Mailstrom account, and the “Accept” box is greyed out. Has URI limited the functionality of our Gmail accounts so that we cannot use valuable third-party services like Mailstrom? How can I get an override to enable me to use this service?

Reply

20. Melanie
    January 30, 2015 @ 2:24 pm

Is there a storage limit for google drive? Is that a good place to back up my files?

Reply

• ITS Team
      March 13, 2015 @ 12:34 pm

Currently we have no storage limit for Google Drive (docs, sheets, slides) and mail. When you go to Google Drive, in the lower left you will see how much you have used. If there was a limit, you would see a percentage used.

Reply

21. Joanne Mundorf
    February 14, 2015 @ 9:25 am

I have tried to change my email preferences for the Directory several times in eCampus. After I save the changes and go “Home” or log out, then go back the the Directory Profile in Self Service, the changes are not saved.

I called the Help Desk and was told that it would take about a week for the changes to “take” in eCampus; it has been almost a month now (I tried again today with the same results). Do you suggest an alternative update that permanently accepts my preferences on the Directory?

Reply

• ITS Team
      March 13, 2015 @ 12:39 pm

In the Directory, there is a campus address that can not be changed. By summer we hope to have that set to the @uri.edu email addresses. There is place for “other” email addresses. These are the ones that can be changed through eCampus Self Service. It does take up to 24 hours as an update job must run. If you are changing the ‘other’ email address and it is not changing after 24 hours, there may be a different problem. We will contact you to resolve this.

Reply

22. Peter Larsen
    March 4, 2015 @ 1:06 pm

If it wouldn’t be too much trouble, enabling Blogger would be a help. I know that the university has this platform, but my department has an internal blog we have been using, and I would love it if I could close that old Gmail account without a) losing the older blog posts or b) having to go through the nightmare of migration.

Thanks!

Reply

• ITS Team
      March 13, 2015 @ 12:40 pm

Thanks for your feedback. We will put Blogger on the request list.

Reply

23. Mary
    March 24, 2015 @ 10:20 am

I have 2 new employees. How do I get them started using google apps? They do not have existing URI email addresses.

Reply

• ITS Team
      March 24, 2015 @ 10:39 am

When new employees records become active, we receive their information and automatically provision their account on Google Apps.

Reply

• Mary
        March 26, 2015 @ 8:27 am

I’m still not sure what that means.

Can they log into google apps and enter their user name and birthdate and log on?

Reply

• ITS Team
          March 26, 2015 @ 8:32 am

Yes they can. I am unsure how many days once they are hired it takes for the information to come to us from HR. We can only provision the account once we get their information from HR. So for any new employees they can try at any time with their ecampus id and birth date. If it doesn’t work, they may have to wait a day or two.

Reply

24. Erich Gruebel
    April 8, 2015 @ 9:03 pm

Can we please have the ability to share documents in Google Drive with people outside of the uri.edu domain? This restriction prevents me from collaborating on projects without using my personal gmail and DropBox accounts. A number of people have mentioned this in the comments and it hasn’t been addressed. I even found the directions on how to change this setting in the admin interface: https://support.google.com/a/answer/60781?hl=en

Reply

• ITS Team
      April 15, 2015 @ 2:12 pm

The ability to share documents with people outside of the uri.edu domain is enabled. If you are trying to share via a link, that is turned off. You can share using email addresses. If you are having a particular problem, please contact the Help Desk.

Reply

• Amanda Izenstark
        April 23, 2015 @ 9:15 am

While we can share documents with specific people, we still don’t have the option of selecting “Anyone with the link can access” and similar permissions. This is extremely important for those of us who collaborate with colleagues at other institutions without access to Google accounts. I originally posted about this on January 2nd to no avail. Has there been any consideration of this now that we’re several months in?

Thanks!

Reply

25. Amanda Izenstark
    April 23, 2015 @ 9:19 am

Also, I would like to request access to Blogger and YouTube. Just as open access scholarly articles are cited more because there are fewer restrictions on access, making instructional materials available to a wider audience from my official account really helps improve instruction and outreach. Additionally, YouTube has to do the heavy lifting of making sure my videos are cross-platform compliant – not me. Right now, I have to maintain a separate Google account to be able to do this, and it is a pointless hurdle. What is the possibility that these resources will be made available?

Reply

26. Mary MacDonald
    April 23, 2015 @ 12:50 pm

Hello, I am co-chair of a professional group that is using google groups. I have not been able use this function and I need to do so. Can you please enable Google Groups?

Thanks,
    Mary

Reply

27. Deborah Imondi
    April 25, 2015 @ 11:01 am

I currently have both an etal (listed above) address and an @uri.edu (specifically Deborah_imondi@uri.edu). The etal address has been used for my work with the 4-H program (part of the College of the Environment and Life Sciences) and the uri.edu address has been used by me as an instructor in the College of Business. Can I assume that as of June 1st, I will be using my existing uri.edu address for both? Or will I have a second uri.edu address? And how much storage space will I have on the server if I am using that e-mail address for both jobs?

Reply

• ITS Team
      April 27, 2015 @ 8:15 am

Since you use the etal account for a specific project, we will provision the etal account on Google Apps so you can continue to keep the work of the different depts separated. The etal account will be the same address as it is now. Currently there is unlimited storage on Google Apps.

Reply

• Deborah Imondi
        May 2, 2015 @ 7:46 am

Thank you for your response and this is good news…. is there anything I need to do? And how/when will I be able to access my etal account through google aps?

Reply

• ITS Team
          May 4, 2015 @ 8:13 am

The etal accounts will be provisioned in May at which point you will receive an email with instructions on how to access the account. On June 1st new mail addressed to etal accounts will be delivered to Google Apps.

Reply

28. Mary MacDonald
    April 29, 2015 @ 9:22 am

Can you please enable Google Groups?
    Thanks,
    Mary

Reply

29. ITS Team
    April 30, 2015 @ 1:49 pm

We are currently still working on the migration of all the current mail/calendar/contact/resource services from our URI hosted servers to Google Apps. We are in the process of vetting additional apps and other requests regarding security and best practices for the University. Given the many security risks around sharing data, we will be installing and configuring CloudLock which will allow us to detect and protect sensitive data on Google Drive. Moving forward we will be developing a timeline for the roll out of additional apps and features such as Google Groups, YouTube, link sharing, etc.

Reply

30. Bob Zunjic
    May 7, 2015 @ 11:46 am

I am enjoying my retirement in my native country Serbia. Since January the 5th I was not able to access my e-mail.

Reply

31. ITS Team
    June 19, 2015 @ 9:19 am

Bob,

You will need to login to your Google Apps account with your ecampus id and your birthdate the first time. You will be prompted to change the password. If this is not working for you, please call the Help Desk for a password reset and they can assist you in logging on.

Thanks!

Reply

32. Austin
    July 22, 2015 @ 1:52 pm

I just deleted an email that i didn’t mean to delete and it isn’t coming up in my trash folder. how do i find it?

Reply

• ITS Team
      July 23, 2015 @ 7:52 am

Your request has been forwarded to the Help Desk. For questions like these, please contact the Help Desk at 874-4357

Reply

33. Robinson de Carvalho
    July 22, 2015 @ 5:08 pm

I was an exchange student at URI. Can I keep using my URI e-mail, or it will be deleted? I have a lot of things saved in my Google drive.

Reply

34. Mary Jane Palm
    September 8, 2015 @ 2:14 pm

I’m posting on behalf of Beth Laliberte in Geosciences:

In my Geology of the US National Parks class which meets in the fall I have the students make a map of a national park in Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/maps

I just tried to sign in (button on the right hand side) and I received the following message:
    We are sorry, but you do not have access to this service. Please contact your domain administrator for access.

Is there any way that my students and I can get access so that we can create maps in Google Maps?

Thank you,
    Beth

Reply

35. Jim Kinnie
    October 7, 2015 @ 11:17 am

I have been invited to a NEASC google group to work on a project, but I cannot log in with my URI gmail account so I’m using my personal gmail account. Is there any thought of enabling google groups?

Reply

36. Beth Laliberte
    October 17, 2015 @ 1:17 pm

I would like my GEO 120 (Geology of the US National Parks) students to have access to Google Maps so that they can develop their own Google Map for their selected national park. The goal would be for the students to each make a map and then share the maps with all the other students so that they can be viewed and commented on. When I try to sign in while in Google Maps with my URI account and password I get the following message: “sorry but you do not have access to this service”. Please let me know who I can contact about getting access to Google Maps. Thank you, Beth Laliberte

Reply

37. Jon
    October 23, 2015 @ 10:41 am

Would it be possible for Google Inbox to be enabled with the uri.edu domain? When I go to https://inbox.google.com I get the message: “Your admin must activate Inbox for work”.

Reply

38. ITS Team
    October 26, 2015 @ 1:41 pm

We are currently still working on the migration of all the current mail/calendar/contact/resource services from our URI hosted servers to Google Apps. We are in the process of vetting additional apps and other requests regarding security and best practices for the University. Moving forward we will be developing a timeline for the roll out of additional apps and features such as Google Groups, YouTube, link sharing, etc.

Reply

39. Howard Dooley
    October 28, 2015 @ 9:28 am

I am participating in an online workshop provided by the Sante Fe Institute. To collaborate, they have created a google group for participants. I received an email today with a posting to the group. I cannot read the entire post nor respond to it. When I click on the post in my email, I get a blank google group page, with the following note at the bottom:

You only have read-only access to groups outside your domain. Contact your domain administrator for more information.

Can you grant me full access to the group?

Thank you – Howard

Reply

• ITS Team
      October 28, 2015 @ 12:39 pm

We are not ready to turn on Google Groups yet. However, you can participate in groups outside the URI domain via email. This requires the owner of the group enables that option (Allow posting by email) which has not been done in this case as you are taken to a blank web interface.

Reply

40. Howard Dooley
    October 29, 2015 @ 9:30 am

Thank you. I will try that.

Reply

41. danielle
    December 1, 2015 @ 7:08 am

when I send out email it shows my name as “me” and trying to see how to change that.

Reply

• Terry Wild
      December 1, 2015 @ 8:04 am

I have forwarded your request to the Help Desk. They should be contacting you to follow up.

Reply