The University of Rhode Island Transportation Center hosts two one-week Construction Academies for rising high school sophomores, juniors, seniors and recent high school graduates. The curriculum will include OSHA 10-Hour Certification, Flag Person Certification, Work Zone Safety, Hands on Activities at the Operating Engineers Center, Blue Print Reading, Estimating, Construction Math, Surveying and Layout and Starting your own Construction Business.The sessions will take place from 8:30 am – 4:00 pm. Transportation from a central pick-up point in Providence is available. Supervision will be by the program director, program coordinator, interns and industry professionals.All costs, including meals, field trips and supplies, will be covered by the Rhode Island Department of Transportation educational outreach programs and the Federal Highway Administration.
- Must be a Rhode Island resident
- In 10th, 11th, or 12th grade for the upcoming school year, or a recent graduate
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- An interest in business, math, finance, or a transportation related career
- Written essay and transcript or copy of report card
- A brief interview with the program director
For more information call (401) 874-7075.