The University of Rhode Island Transportation Center will host a one-week Engineering Academy for high school freshmen, sophomores and juniors.The curriculum will include instruction and activities such as Highway Design, Bridge Design, Traffic Engineering, Water Resources, Environmental Engineering, Geographic Information Systems, Geotechnical Engineering, Reading a Scale, Blue Print Reading, Surveying & Layout, Preparing an Estimate.
The session will take place from 8:30 am – 4:00 pm. Transportation from a central pick-up point in Providence is available. Supervision will be by the program director, program coordinator, interns and industry professionals.
All costs, including meals, field trips and supplies, will be covered by the Rhode Island Department of Transportation educational outreach programs and the Federal Highway Administration.
- Must be a Rhode Island resident
- In 9th, 10th, or 11th grade for the upcoming school year
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale)
- An interest in business, math, finance, or a transportation related career
- Written essay and transcript or copy of report card
- A brief interview with the program director
For more information, contact Tory Perrotta at (401) 874-7075 or firstname.lastname@example.org