The University of Rhode Island Transportation Center will host a one-week Maritime-Freight Academy for high school freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors.
The Maritime-Freight Academy is an interactive program where students can earn credit toward a junior certification in Logistics and Transportation awarded by the American Society of Transportation & Logistics. The program combines visits to companies that use the maritime services industry, a visit to a port, and practice steering in a shipping vessel simulator. It is augmented with in-class work and computer games to reinforce the topics.
The session will take place from 8:30 am – 4:00 pm. Transportation from a central pick-up point in Providence is available. Supervision will be by the program director, program coordinator, interns and industry professionals.
All costs, including meals, field trips and supplies, will be covered by the Rhode Island Department of Transportation educational outreach programs and the Federal Highway Administration.
- Must be a Rhode Island resident
- In 9th, 10th, or 11th grade for the upcoming school year
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale)
- An interest in business, math, finance, or a transportation related career
- Written essay and transcript or copy of report card
- A brief interview with the program director
For more information, contact Tory Perrotta at (401) 874-7075 or firstname.lastname@example.org