Recent URI Work-Life Presentations
- Silver, B. (Nov. 2013). URI Silver -Gender Summit 2013. Presented at the 3rd Annual International Gender Summit, Washington, DC.
- Silver, B., & Mederer, H. (Oct. 29 – Nov. 1, 2013). STEM Faculty Work-Life Mentor Training Program. Presented at the University of New Mexico Mentoring Institute 2013 Conference, Albuquerque, NM.
- Silver, B. (March 7-10, 2013). Rethinking Work-Life Balance Presented at the Association for Women in Psychology 38th Annual Conference, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Mederer, H., Silver, B., & Sherwood, J. (June 27-29, 2012). Gender structure theory as a model for organizational transformation of academia. Presented at the Gender, Work, & Organization Conference, Staffordshire, England.
- Silver, B. & Mederer, H.(June 13-16, 2012). Taking it to the Next Level: Data-Driven Strategies to Promote Change in a Public, Unionized University. Presented at the Work & Family Researchers’ Network Inaugural Conference, New York, NY.
- Silver, B. (Mar. 7-8, 2012). URI’s Transitional Support Program. Presented at Rethinking the Future of the STEM Workplace: Convening of Global Experts on Work-Life-Family Issues. Elsevier Foundation, New York, NY.
- Mederer, H. (Oct. 17, 2011). Work-Life Balance. Keynote address presented at the 2011 Northeast Management Officers (NEMO) Annual Meeting.
- Mederer, H., & Silver, B. (June 23, 2011). Workplace Flexibility and Faculty Success: What a Chair Needs to Know. Chairs’ Workshop. University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI.
- Silver, B. (May 17, 2011). Women in Higher Education: Promoting Success through Workplace Flexibility. Keynote address presented at Delta Kappa Gamma Society Meeting, East Greenwich, RI.
- Silver, B. (April 8, 2011). Ensuring Effective Faculty Mentoring: Tips for Chairs and Faculty Mentoring. Two workshops facilitated at Bridgewater State University, Bridgewater, MA
- Silver, B. (2011). Mastering the Balancing Act: How to Find work-Life Balance Amidst the Unbalancing Demands of a Faculty Position. Presented at West Chester University, March 31, 2011. West Chester, PA
- Mederer, H., & Silver, B. (2010). Buy-In: Targeting Three levels of Barriers to Change. Presented at the College and University Work/Family Association 16th National Conference, Cambridge, MA. May 5-7, 2010.
- Mederer, H. (2010). Retaining Postdoc women Through Effective Postdoctoral Policies. Presented at the national Summit on Gender and the Postdoctorate, Philadelphia, PA.
- Mederer, H. & Silver, B. (2009). Two Steps Forward, One Step Back: Maintaining Optimism during Institutional Transformation. Southern Connecticut State University Work-Life Best Practices in Higher Education Conference, October 29, 2009.
- Mederer, H., Boudreaux-Bartels, F., Harlow, L., Santiago, M. silver, b., & Stamm, K. (2009). Perceptions of work-Life balance in Academia: Organizational, Interactional, and Individual Predictors. Winter Meeting of Sociologist for Women in Society, Savannah, GA.
URI Work-Life Publications
- Work-Life Initiatives for URI Faculty
- College and University Lactation Programs: Some Additional Considerations
- Lactation Support Policy Booklet
- Dual Career Hiring Guidelines
- Family Leave For AAUP Faculty at URI
- Mentoring Handbook
- ADVANCE Faculty Mentoring On-Line Tutorial
- Faculty Recruitment Handbook
- ADVANCE Faculty Recruitment On-Line Tutorial
- 2012 Work-Life Survey for URI Staff Employees
Organizations and Initiatives