New WordPress Users’ Questions

If you are new to WordPress, you can add your questions as comments to this page. If you are a more experienced user and know how to create a post, please go to How to post to the WordPress Users Forum. You will need to login to the WordPress Users Forum before you can comment.

9 Comments

1. laura_otterbach
    June 28, 2016 @ 11:50 am

Is there a way to add a photo to the top bar of the website where the site title appears? (Using URI Theme – in top blue bar of website). Trying to add a photo here but don’t see any way to do so.

Also wondering how to edit the formatting of the tagline and make it aligned right on the same title bar.

Thanks!

• Ruth Platner
      June 28, 2016 @ 1:22 pm

I think you mean the logo image. By default this is an aerial view of the Kingston campus. Go to Dashboard > URI Responsive Theme > Styling > Site Logo > Custom Image

Once you click on custom image, you can upload your image. Images should be 190 by 90.

There is a dedicated space on the right for a ” Contact Us” button so the tag line cannot be aligned right. See Dashboard > URI Responsive Theme > Theme Settings > URI Contact Us Page Button about the ” Contact Us” button.

The tag line is usually a nugget about your site that will show up in search engine results.

Let me know if this doesn’t answer your question.

Ruth

• laura_otterbach
        June 29, 2016 @ 11:32 am

(realized I replied to wrong comment)

Thank you!

Just a follow up question about the contact us option. I clicked ‘enable’ but it then says: “You must also create a page with the URL /contact-us/ and the page title “Contact Us” to use this button.”

How do I create this page so that the Contact Us information appears?

Thanks so much for your help.

• Ruth Platner
          June 29, 2016 @ 12:23 pm

In the same way you would create any WordPress page. From the admin bar you can +New > Page or go to Dashboard > Pages then click on “Add New” at top of page.

Once you have a new page put Contact Us as the page title and publish. The contact us button should now show up.

This page will need content. Add any contact information here that you like.

2. Jill L Blaney
    August 6, 2014 @ 2:03 pm

How do we add anchors. Our current page has anchors, but I need to add another and my anchor icon is not available on the Kitchen Sink. I not too good on the computer writing and want to add the icon. How do I proceed?

• Ruth Platner
      August 14, 2014 @ 3:07 pm

Jill the theme doesn’t have any built-in way to do anchors. Unfortunately it has to be hard coded html.

• laura_otterbach
      June 29, 2016 @ 9:45 am

Thank you!

Thanks so much for your help.

3. Scott R Robertson
    June 18, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

Not new to WP, but a question about forms and entries? If I set up a form that I essentially want to use as a notice system for Enrollment Services, where a faculty member can enter in their name, and their notice for the department, how can I set up a feed for the entries/notices they enter into the form, that goes on the same page as the form would be.

• Ruth Platner
      June 18, 2013 @ 3:12 pm

There is an addon for Gravity Forms that will display the entries to a page. This has a few glitches until we do some upgrades. Those upgrades should be completed next month. If your form only has a few items however, it may work fine even before the upgrade. We can give this a try tomorrow perhaps.