Do NOT create pages in PDF’s. Use WordPress instead. PDF files are not indexed by WordPress search engines so therefore they will not be searchable.
In order to avoid unexpected formatting, insert copied text using the “Paste as Plain Text” or the “Paste in Word” buttons as shown.
1. To do this after copying you desired text choose either the “Paste as Plain Text” or “Paste in Word” which are circled to the right.
2. In order to keep the links and the copied formatting use the “Paste in Word” button (the clipboard with the T).
3. In order to just keep the text and not the formatting use the “Paste as Plain Text” button (the clipboard with the T).
By default, your site is restricted to 50MB of disk space in quota and there is a limit of 2.5MB in file size for uploaded files on the web.uri.edu. It is important that you optimize and reduce your file size before uploading.
To reduce image size:
- Resize images using photo editing softwares such as Photoshop or other free alternatives.
- Image extensions allowed are : jpg, png, gif.
To reduce PDF file size:
- Reduce PDF file size before you upload using Adobe Acrobat by selecting the Document -> Reduce File Size, or in Acrobat 11, File -> Save As Other -> Optimized PDF
Write concise, descriptive and meaningful titles and hyperlinks. Do NOT use “Click Here” statements for hyperlinks.
- Linking internally? DO NOT hard-code links to the existing content in your site. Use “Or link to existing content” tab to find, select and link to a page instead.
1. To do this start by selecting the text you link and clicking on the “link icon”
2. Press the drop-down arrow, and select the existing content on your site.
3. You have the the option to “Open links in a new window” if you decide to do so.
Media consists of any images, or files that you upload and use in your site.
- Give your files meaningful names before uploading them.
- Add ALT and Title tags to all images before you upload them (to make your site compliant with accessibility standards).
- If you want to replace an image or PDF, be sure to select the “Replace media” option when editing that media in the Media Library. This is used when you want to retain the name of the image, but replace with a newer version.
Use the Broken Link Checker to automate the process of finding broken links on your site.
The broken links, if activated, will show up in a new tab of the Dashboard -> Tools -> Broken Links.
You will see a summary report of total number of broken links on your site in the Dashboard.
Ask Kerri Hicks to sign your site up for this website maintenance service that will find misspelling and offers guidelines to improve accessibility.
Sign up for one or both of these tools
Don’t hide your contact info in size two font in the footer of the page. To add your contact info, go to your Dashboard, navigate to Appearance -> Site Options -> Basic Options, and fill out your address, phone, and email. When you fill that out, it will put the contact informations at the top of every page in the site.
The site Identifier is the image on the upper left corner of every page in your site. By default there is an image of the URI campus there. To change this to an image specific to your website, go to your Dashboard, navigate to Appearance -> Site Options -> Basic Options. Upload an image 190px wide by 90px high.