The Ocean State Writing Conference consists of three days of concentrated workshop sessions in fiction, poetry and creative nonfiction. In our workshops, participants have the opportunity to write and to share their work with the same instructor and small group of fellow participants. Some reading and writing may be assigned for homework before and between the three workshop sessions. Along with the workshop sessions, we offer historical fictional writing and screenwriting craft talks, a master class with Masha Gessen (limited to 25 participants), a publishing panel, and one-on-one consultations.
This intimate conference allows you to meet and talk with fellow writers. You will listen. You will share your work. You will offer advice and be given constructive feedback that will open new paths in your writing. You will hear about new trends in publishing, and develop a strategy for your own writing career.
See below for special rates and combination discounts.
Scholarship Information: A limited number of scholarships are available. Click the link to download a student scholarship application: OSWC 2017 Scholarship Application
Due to the mature topics discussed during the workshops and main conference, we cannot admit anyone under the age of eighteen.
CONFERENCE FEE : $425
Three-Day Writing Workshops Thursday, 10/26, 12:30-3:00 pm; Friday, 10/27 and Saturday, 10/28, 9:00 am-12:00 pm.
These workshops in fiction, poetry and creative nonfiction offer participants the opportunity to write and to share their work over the course of three days with the same instructor and small group of fellow participants. Some reading and writing may be assigned for homework before and between the three workshop sessions.
-Nine workshop hours
– Screenwriting Craft Session and Discussion Panels
– Keynote Address with Masha Gessen
– Readings and Book Signings by Featured Writers
– Thursday Reception
– Friday & Saturday Lunches
- Early Bird Registration: $400 (Must register by September 25, 2017. Standard rate applies after this date.)
- URI Alumni / Members of OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute – URI) Discount (OLLI members must present their membership cards at the conference): $375
- Current URI Student Discount (Must present a valid URI ID at the conference): $250
- URI Faculty / Staff (Must present a valid URI ID at the conference): $375
- Scholarship Information: A limited number of scholarships are available.
OPTIONAL EVENTS AND FEES:
Master Class with Masha Gessen: No fee, but limited to 25
Friday Night Dinner: $30 October 27 from 7:00 – 9:00 pm Enjoy dinner with presenters. Cash bar available. (Limited number of seats.)
30 Minute One-on-One Consultation: $125
Consultations are a wonderful way for you to learn from some of our most accomplished conference faculty in a personalized, unique way. You are required to submit a short manuscript (no more than 10 pages or 5 poems) by October 15, 2017 and sign up for a 30 minute consultation. During the consultation, the faculty member will discuss your manuscript, offer suggestions for improvement, develop a strategy for getting the most out of your writing, and brainstorm ways to get you to the next level. You can also come to the consultation with specific questions about roadblocks or trouble spots. Limited space available.
For writers who want to join the conversation and participate only in the craft sessions and panel discussions.
Single Day Passes, $40 each day
- Thursday 10/26 – includes access to Panel Discussion: Historical Narratives: The Craft of Writing (4:45-5:30pm) and Reception (5:30–6:30pm).
- Friday 10/27 – includes access to Craft Talk: Screenwriting: Page to Screen (1:00–2:00pm) and Conference Participant Reception and Dinner (6:00-7:30pm).
- Saturday 10/28 – Includes access to: Publishing Panel: Demystifying Publication and Prizes (2:00-3:00pm) and Ocean State Review, Write RI & Participant Reading (3:15-4:30pm).
Three-day Day Pass, $125
- Thur 10/26, Historical Narratives: The Craft of Writing, 4:45-5:30pm
- Thur 10/26, Reception, 5:30-6:30pm
- Fri 10/27, Craft Talk: Screenwriting: Page to Screen, 1:00-2:00pm
- Fri 10/27, Conference Participant Reception and Dinner 6:00-7:30pm
- Sat 10/28, Demystifying Publication and Prizes, 2:00-3:00pm
- Sat 10/28, Ocean State Review, Write RI & Participant Reading, 3:15-4:30pm
There is no on-campus housing available.
We wish to thank our supporters throughout the University of Rhode Island, whose generosity allows us to offer such affordable rates.