College of Business Administration

Ballentine Hall, 7 Lippitt Road, Kingston, RI 02881

admitcba@etal.uri.edu401.874.2337

URI
Think Big, We Do.
Rhode Island Seal

Iris Carlomusto ’06

Iris Carlomusto
  • Major: Accounting
  • Degree: Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, 2006
  • Position: Vice President of Marketing, Alex and Ani

What are some of the ways your experience at URI and the College of Business have had an impact on your career path?

Although I chose a career in a field other than accounting, the foundation I built at the College of Business gave me the tools and knowledge I needed to follow my calling and pursue a career in the fashion industry. I’ve built upon that foundation with my professional experience and can say with confidence that I have the job of my dreams.

When you think about your experience as a business student at URI, what are some of the most valuable lessons you learned?

Work ethic, multi-tasking, teamwork, and time management—the lessons every college student learns. But the most valuable lesson I learned was to think independently and to have confidence in my work.

What were the best parts of your URI experience?

The best part of my experience at URI are easily the lifelong friendships I made during my four years. These friends are like family to me and I can’t imagine my life without them. We all have very different professions and live throughout the country, but the bond we created at URI is unbreakable.

What is most interesting to you about business in today’s world? The most challenging?

I find the most interesting part of business in today’s world is watching “Made in the USA” manufacturing make a comeback. It’s exciting to be part of the movement and work for a company that promotes and sells “Made in America” products and employs thousands of Americans.

The most challenging part of business is keeping up with the changing trends and demands of today’s consumer. Consumers are constantly looking for the newest and most innovative product and the challenge for every company is staying relevant to measure up to the expectations.

What advice would you give to a student today considering a major in business?

Get an internship before you graduate. An internship will give you an introduction to the real world and the opportunity to test drive your career choice. You will gain an advantage for future employment and the chance to network and establish professional relationships.

What do you believe is most important for a new grad entering the workforce to understand?

It’s important for new grads to be dynamic and to possess attributes that will give them a competitive advantage when interviewing. When I interview new grads I always ask what they are passionate about, to get a better understanding of their personalities and who they are outside of work. I would advise new grads to volunteer, become involved with a charity, travel, exercise, read—to be passionate about something they can not only discuss when being interviewed, but that will also help them achieve a good work/life balance.

The University of Rhode Island
Think Big, We Do.
A-ZDirectoryContact UsJump to top