College of Business Administration

Ballentine Hall, 7 Lippitt Road, Kingston, RI 02881

admitcba@etal.uri.edu401.874.2337

URI
Think Big, We Do.
Rhode Island Seal

Cassie Jacob ’17

Cassie Jacob
  • Hometown: Suffern, New York
  • Major: Accounting and Chinese
  • Graduation Year: 2017

Why did you choose this degree program?

I chose to study accounting at URI because I believe the accounting field can open up opportunities to work with a variety of companies and firms that will help me broaden my skills. The College of Business Administration offers many resources for accounting majors—from applications on RhodyNet and networking opportunities, such annual Accounting Night, to the amazing CBA faculty. I believe studying accounting will enrich my knowledge in all areas and broaden my perspectives in the world.

What has been the best part of your studies in the College of Business?

I have been presented with so many incredible experiences, however, the best part is to able to develop my professional and networking skills. To be successful in business, it is important to learn about business interactions, which often require skills developed outside of the classroom. The College of Business offers many different resources and organizations that help develop us these skills. As a member of the National Association of Black Accountants, for example, I have had great opportunities for networking. I believe CBA will help to propel my education and career forward.

What has been the best part of your entire URI experience?

The relationships I have built during my time here. URI has given me opportunities to interact with people who share similar interests and goals, yet who are are so different and unique. Joining organizations such as the Student Entertainment Committee, the Student Alumni Association, and especially becoming a tour guide have all allowed me meet so many people, who have taught me so much and helped me grow. Everyone I have met at the University has influenced me, helping me become who I am today. Making these connections has not only allowed me to build positive relationships, but expand my knowledge of different cultures and grow as an individual.

What do you consider the biggest strengths of your major or program?

The biggest strength of the accounting program is definitely the faculty. The professors at the College of Business are all extremely intelligent with real-life experience in the business world that they  share with us. This has helped not only in the classroom, but also in business interactions. I feel comfortable and confident going to any of my CBA professors for help as well as guidance.

What kind of internships, experiential learning opportunities, or real-life experiences have you had?

During my time at the University of Rhode Island, I have participated in different business networking events, such as the EY Elements of Success event and the annual Minority Business Conference in Boston, where my team was able to place in the student case study competition. Participating in these events has introduced me to the business world and helped to build my networking skills. These events have also given me the opportunity to network with recruiters and partners from a variety of firms and companies, opening the door for invitations to interview for internship programs.

What has surprised you most about URI?

What has surprised me the most about URI is that the energy and positivity here is the same as when I first entered, if not more! Everyone at here is so welcoming. The students and faculty are diverse with different backgrounds and interests, yet they are all accepted and appreciated. There are so many friendly faces and smiles around campus. I believe this is something that makes URI unique—and different from other universities. Every day I am even happier with my decision to come to the University of Rhode Island. This feeling has continued grow, making URI a second home to me.

The University of Rhode Island
Think Big, We Do.
A-ZDirectoryContact UsJump to top