Full-time students in the Master of Arts in English degree program (30 credits) requires take at least three courses per semester.
- All courses taken for program credit must be at the 500 and 600 level.
- The Graduate School allows 5 years to complete the program.
- Refer to the Administrative Guidelines and Forms for more information about what to file and when.
See the typical full-time student program timeline:
- Complete ENG 510/511 Introduction to Professional Study and ENG 514 Studies in Critical Theories.
- Select Thesis or Non-Thesis Option.
- Select a Major Professor in your specialization who will become your mentor.
- If your goal is to continue on to the Ph.D. program, plan to present papers at professional conferences.
- Before the beginning of your final semester, you should form a committee with your Major Professor to supervise the Non-Thesis/Thesis and Program of Study. As soon as is feasible, submit a Program of Study Form to the Graduate Studies office.
- At the beginning of the semester you plan to graduate, submit the Nomination for Graduation Form to the Graduate Studies office.
- Register for ENG 595 Master’s Project for the Non-Thesis option, ENG 599 for the Thesis option. You will need to obtain a permission number from your major professor.
- Plan to take the MA Comprehensive Exams (Non-Thesis option) or Thesis Defense (Thesis option).
- Check your Program of Study (POS) to make sure it is an accurate record of courses taken. If there have been changes from the initial POS, it’s necessary to file a Petition for Changes in Graduate Program.
Additional Information for M.A. students
- You must be registered for the semester in which you defend your thesis or non-thesis portfolio.
- You may take 2 graduate courses in another program at URI to count toward your English M.A. with approval from your Major Professor and Director of Graduate Studies (DGS).
- Students who wish to pursue an independent study (ENG 690 or ENG 691) under the guidance of a faculty member should submit a formal request to the Director of Graduate Studies, indicating reasons for pursuing an independent study, a description of the project, how the study will be conducted (i.e., weekly meetings, biweekly meetings, etc.), and space for signature by the student, professor, and DGS. This request must be approved by the DGS prior to enrolling in ENG 690/691.
- TAs must register for a minimum of 6 credits per semester.
- The Director of Graduate Studies signs all forms before they are sent to the Graduate School.