Start Here!

Use this helpful checklist to get started with the certification process for your education benefits.


As a veteran student you must complete a Veteran’s Certification Worksheet to verify your intent to take classes and receive benefits for the Fall/Spring/Summer semester(s). We will only certify when we receive your worksheet and you are registered. Return the completed worksheet to Enrollment Services. The worksheet is also available at the Enrollment Services Veterans Office in Green Hall, Kingston or at the Veterans Office at the Providence Campus.

Tuition Residency

As a Veteran student you may qualify for in-state tuition. To see if you are eligible, refer to the state’s Residency PolicyIf you feel you qualify for in-state tuition, please complete the Application for Rhode Island Military Residency for Tuition Purposes.

Transfer of Military Credit

Credit is awarded for Basic Training (4 – 8 credits for most branches). Additional credit allowance may be granted by the student’s dean in accordance with the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) when appropriate to the student’s curriculum. No credit is awarded for schools that are specific to military activities, or for Military Occupational Specialty (MOS).

The information below is available for those seeking military transcripts:

Military Duty

Joint Service Transcript

Leave of Absence/Withdrawal

If you need some time off from your studies, you can take a break for up to two semesters and still maintain your student status. Learn more about policies and procedures for Leave of Absence/Withdrawal and Readmission.

URI Veterans Contacts

General Information

Enrollment Services
Green Hall
35 Campus Ave.
Kingston, RI (see campus map)

VA Certifying Officials Serving all Campuses (located in Green Hall, Enrollment Services)


Transfer Resource Center 

Disability Services

Memorial Union, Room 302
50 Lower College Road
Kingston, RI
401.874.2098 or

Shepard Building
80 Washington St.
Providence, RI

URI Feinstein Providence Campus Veterans Affairs Office

Jeff C. Johnson, Academic Advisor
Shepard Building, Room 241
80 Washington St.
Providence, RI
401.277.5417 or

Establishing Eligibility

If you have not previously received benefits, you must complete an Application for VA Education Benefits Education Benefits at You must also submit your basic eligibility documents from your unit education officer. These may be sent to the VA directly, or we can send them with your enrollment certification.

If you have previously received benefits while attending another institution, you must complete a Request for Change of Program of Place of Training (VA Form 22-1995) or Request for change of Program or Place or Training Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (VA Form 22-5495).

If you are on active duty while attending our institution, you must complete an Application for VA Benefits at You must also submit a copy of your orders.

If you are a dependent of a disabled or deceased veteran, you must complete an Application for Survivors and Dependents’ Educational Assistance at

Please notify Enrollment Services/VA with any changes that may occur such as:

  • Change from non-matriculated status
  • Change of majors
  • Change to/from double majors
  • Prior approval for off-campus studies
  • When you receive an Incomplete, NR or NW grade
  • When an incomplete, NW, NR grade is completed
  • Drop under full time, if certified full time*
  • Drop under part time, if certified part time*
  • Leave of Absence
  • Withdrawal
  • Dismissal

*Drop under full time/part time, you must supply the VA rep with a letter (on dept. letterhead) from the class professor stating your last day of attendance to avoid further penalty.

Priority Registration for Combat Veterans

As part of Rhode Island’s continuing efforts to recognize the men and women of our Armed Forces, and pursuant to §30-30.2-3(2) of the R.I. General Laws, the Council on Postsecondary Education has  established a policy that supports veterans and service members with Priority Registration for Combat Veterans attending  the public higher education institutions (URI, RIC, CCRI).

Combat veterans attending the University of Rhode Island wishing to obtain priority registration must self-identify to the campus veterans’ certifying official(s).  (see Campus Contacts area above right)

Veteran students seeking priority registration must submit the following:

  • DD 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) which annotates service in a combat theater of operation including notation of medals awarded for service.

  • Service members currently on active duty who do not have a DD214 must present award citation and copy of deployment orders that demonstrated service in a combat theater of operation.

  • University of Rhode Island Student Veteran’s Verification Worksheet.

Documentation must be submitted no later than fifteen business days prior to the first day of priority registration for the first term in which priority registration is sought (generally October for Spring registration and March for Fall registration). Once Combat Veteran Status has been established for early registration it will carry over to future terms.

Timely Receipt of Checks

Your checks will be mailed to your home directly from the VA to arrive during the month after you have attended the courses for which you are being paid. The address is the address which you have provided the VA, not necessarily the same as is maintained by the University. If you need to change your VA address, we have a VA form for that purpose. You might want to avoid using a residential life address until you have confidence that your mail is being delivered promptly.

If your VA check is more than 10 days late in arriving, you should first call the VA directly at the toll-free number: 1-888-GI-BILL1. This will put you in contact with a VA counselor who can pull up your computer file and check on eligibility, certification, and payment. Have your VA file number (usually your social security number) ready. In most cases this call will get you the information you need in the most direct way possible. If you get an indication that a certification is lacking, do not hesitate to call us at 401.874.9500. We will verify what information has been sent to the VA.

Unless you are receiving VA Vocational Rehabilitation or Work-Study funds, your certifications will be sent to the VA Regional Office in Buffalo, NY, (1-888-GI-BILL1) rather than the local Providence, RI office. This is a condition by the VA to improve efficiency. The Providence Office will still respond to your inquiries at its toll-free number (1.800.827.1000).

IMPORTANT — All students who are receiving either the Montgomery GI BILL Active duty or Selected Reserve MUST now verify their enrollments monthly to receive payments. This verification can be done either by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE), application or by using an automated telephone system (IVR) at 1.877.823.2378 and follow the prompts.

Think Big We Do

Copyright © 2018 University of Rhode Island.