Compass school is located on 20 acres and has one acre of food production. Interns are involved in all aspects of the farm and work closely with the farmers, students, and campers. Interns gain significant skills, training, and experience in sustainable urban agriculture, community building, and leadership development. To learn more about The Compass School, visit our website: http://compassschool.org/
Two separate intern tracks (based on skills and interest) are available:
Summer Camp Counselor
- Must be comfortable working with K-8thgrade students
- Work with staff to develop age appropriate curriculum that matches the goals of environmental sustainability and social justice on the farm
- Enjoy being outdoors, demonstrate an interest in leading outdoor play and projects
- Incorporate art, music, science, history or other passion areas into student learning
- You must have a flexible schedule. Some camp weeks will be an 8 hour day, others will be a 4 hour day. Expect an average of 20 hours per week with lots of variation throughout your internship!
- Plant propagation and harvesting, washing, sorting, transplanting produce
- Cultivating healthy soil, composting
- Irrigation system management
- Tool use and safety
- Taking care of plants including pest management
- Animal care
Interested applicants must enjoy physical labor, working with children and farm visitors. The focus of our internship program is to train future farmers in creating a successful, diversified organic food production. Ideal candidates are positive, self-motivated individuals looking for agricultural training with a community purpose, and in-the-field training on the details of small farm management.
INTERNSHIP INFORMATION: INTERNS ARE EXPECTED TO WORK 15-20 HOURS per week. Hours will range based on camp week schedule. Application deadline is April 25th. Interviews will be held the following weeks. Dates are flexible but start in mid-June and end in mid-August.
WE INVITE YOU TO VISIT THE FARM BEFORE APPLYING FOR AN INTERNSHIP. Give us a call at 788-8322
TO APPLY: Click here for Summer Farm Internship Link
OR EMAIL: email@example.com
Compass School does not discriminate on basis of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, military obligations, marital status, physical or mental ability, height or weight. Applicants will be accepted based on credentials and fit for our community. We welcome diversity!