Gender and Sexuality Center

19 Upper College Road, Kingston, RI 02881

401.874.2894

URI
Think Big, We Do.
Rhode Island Seal

Frequently Asked Questions

Students

Does the University of Rhode Island have an office dedicated to supporting the LGBTQ Community?

Does URI have individual student counseling that is sensitive to LGBTQ+ issues/concerns?

Are campus health care professionals knowledgeable about the health needs of LGBTQ+ individuals?

Does URI have support groups for LGBTQ+ individuals?

Are there courses that academically focus on LGBTQ issues? How are LGBTQ+ issues integrated into courses?

Can I self identify as LGBTQ on Admission materials?

Does URI attend LGBTQ Admission Fairs?

Are there admissions events especially for LGBTQ applicants?

Are there LGBTQ themed housing options and/or LGBTQ specific living-learning communities in campus housing?

Does URI provide training sessions for public safety officers on LGBTQ issues?

Do URI public safety officers carry out LGBTQ outreach efforts and meet with LGBTQ student leaders/organization?

Does URI actively distribute condoms and LGBTQ inclusive safer sex information on HIV/STI area services and resources?

Can same-gender partners reside together in campus housing?

Does URI have a bias-incident and hate-crime reporting system which includes LGBTQ concerns?

Does URI have a collection of LGBTQ+ related books/journals/media on campus?

Are there LGBTQ+ Mentoring programs?

Is there a LGBTQ studies major?

Are there any scholarships available for LGBTQ+ students and ally students?

Are there trainings on LGBTQ issues for faculty and staff?

How are LGBTQ issues addressed in new student orientation programs?

Does URI include sexual orientation and gender indentity/expression in the written non-discrimination policy?

What are the housing options for transgender students?

Does URI provide training sessions for housing and residential life staff on LGBTQ issues and concerns?

Does URI’s campus have a university-recognized LGBTQ and ally campus student organization?

Are there any organizations that primarily serve the religious/spiritual needs of LGBTQ students?

What are social events specifically for LGBTQ students?

Is there a way to change my name on campus records?

What do I need to do in order to legally change my name?

What are some resources in helping me to legally change my name and/or gender on documents in the state of Rhode Island and/or other states?

How do I change my name and/or gender on my Passport?

What do I do about Selective Service if I have been through gender confirmation?

Is there a way to announce my gender pronoun that is automatic; especially in classes and/or with supervisors?

How do I let my professors and/or supervisors know that I identify as trans* or gender non-conforming?

Will I get in trouble if I use a particular restroom on campus?

What locker room can I use?

What can URI Health Services provide in regard to LGBTQ+ Health Care and concerns?

Where can I find support if I identify in ways regarding sexuality and/or gender which are outside of the binaries?

Is there any place on campus I can live which is LGBTQ+ specific?

Can I room with someone of a different gender than myself?

Can I live in housing appropriate to my gender identity?

Who do I go to if I am being discriminated against?

Where do I get support for coming out?

When and where is it okay to come out?

How do I come out to my roommate?

What is the Gender and Sexuality Center?

Do you have to identify as LGBTQ+ in order to attend events at and/or sponsored by the Gender and Sexuality Center?

Where can I find and/or socialize with other LGBTQ+ people on campus?

Where can I find resources regarding exploring spirituality and/or religion as an LGBTQ+ person?

Where can I find resources regarding exploring my race & ethnicity as an LGBTQ+ person?

Can I use URI LGBTQ+ programs & services if I leave URI?

How can I be an ally to the LGBTQ+ community?

How can I educate others about the LGBTQ+ community?

What can I do if my class, living situation, and/or job is not knowledgeable about the LGBTQ+ community and/or my identities?

What do I do if I am asked to leave my home due to identifying as LGBTQ+?

Faculty and Staff

How can I find/meet other LGBTQ+ faculty/staff on campus?

Who do I contact if i believe that I am experiencing hostility?

How do I legally change my name and/or gender in the state of Rhode Island?

What are the resources for transition or gender confirmation at URI?

Do URI’s non-discrimination policies protect all LGBTQ+ employees?

How can I let students know that I am LGBTQ+ affirming?

Are there courses that academically focus on LGBTQ+ issues?

What are the social opportunities for LGBTQ+ faculty and staff?

If I wanted to talk to someone about LGBTQ+ topics who could I contact?

What are the resources on campus for LGBTQ+ staff?

Is there a training on campus that can assist me in understanding the LGBTQ+ community?

How can I be an ally to transgender individuals?

Where should I refer students for LGBTQ+ consultation?_______________________________________________________________

Students

Yes, the University of Rhode Island has a Gender and Sexuality Center. It is located at 19 Upper College Road and their website is web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality.
Back Up

At the URI Counseling Center (web.uri.edu/counseling), URI students are given the opprotunity for individual and group counseling as part of their tuition. Additionally, all URI Counseling staff have been through at least two Gender and Sexuality Center sponsored Safe Zone workshops, and will be more than happy to discuss LGBTQ+ sensitive issues and concerns with you.
Back Up

Yes. The vast majority of the health center staff at URI have been through Safe Zone training and are committed to providing inclusive and informed health care services.
Back Up

URI has a plethora of support group options for LGBTQ+ identifying individuals, including the LBTQ Women’s Group for women of all identities; and Come In, Come Out, a support group aimed at those who are going through the process of coming out as LGBTQ+,
Back Up

Yes. The Gender and Women’s Studies Program, the President’s LGBTQ Commission, and the Gender and Sexuality Center are currently compiling data on these courses and moving towards a minor that focuses specifically on LGBTQ issues.
Back Up

Yes, you can. The University of Rhode Island is a part of the CommonApp system, which has not yet added this as a specific question on the application. However, students should feel free to self-identify in their statements, as well as to Admissions Counselors, who have been through our Safe Zone training on campus.
Back Up

Does URI attend LGBTQ Admission Fairs?

The University of Rhode Island attends the Campus Pride College Fairs held in Boston and New York.
Back Up

Although there are no admissions events specifically for LGBT applicants, we highly encourage students to visit the University at one of our Open Houses or campus tours. While on campus, set up a meeting with the Gender and Sexuality Center or the Admissions Office to get your questions answered!
Back Up

Yes, URI has a Living and Learning Community called GELS (Gender Equity and Leadership in Sexuality). In this learning community students focus on developing a safe and supportive environment for all people at URI, improving the campus climate, addessing issues of equality, and exploring concepts related to gender and sexuality.  Click here for more information on GELS!
Back Up

Yes, at least twice in the last 5 years, Gender and Sexuality Center staff have provided training for URI public safety officers. We work to ensure such training at least every other year.
Back Up

Yes. We often have public safety officers at Gender and Sexuality Center events and the officers work on campus to be present and meet with constituent groups.
Back Up

Information and resources on safer sex can be found at the Gender and Sexuality Center and URI Health Services. Additionally, these two locations have access to free condoms, lube, and additional safer sex items for students.
Back Up

Yes, in any case where significant others can live together in on-campus housing, such as the Graduate Village, same-gender partners are welcome there, as well.
Back Up

Yes, URI has a Bias Response Team. Their mission, as aligned with the goal of URI at large, is to provide a safe space for all members of the community, and thus do their best to help those facing prejudice. They assist individuals in having their voices heard and promote civility and respect across campus. They also keep a public record of all incidents on campus on their website. To learn more about the Bias Response Team, visit their site: web.uri.edu/brt.
Back Up

The URI Gender and Sexuality Center has a library in its lounge full of books focused on LGBTQ+ lives and related material. Here you can easily find queer fiction and a variety of reference mateiral for both academia and interpersonal situations. Additionally, there is a substantial amount of LGBTQ+ related media in the URI Carothers Library.
Back Up

Are there LGBTQ+ Mentoring programs?

There is not currently an active mentoring program on campus. However, many students find connections and mentors through participation in various programs and services through the Gender and Sexuality Center.
Back Up

Is there a LGBTQ studies major?

There is currently an active effort underway, led by the Gender and Women’s Studies Program, to create an interdisciplinary minor in queer or transgender and sexuality studies, leading eventually to a major. Their goal is to have the minor in place by spring or fall of 2018.
Back Up

There are specific scholarships that address LGBTQ students that can be accessed by contacting the university Foundation at www.urifoundation.org.
Back Up

Safezone workshops (web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/safe-zone) are a way to help spread information on LGBTQ+ identities and issues. They are available for students, faculty and staff, and can be requested by any group, as well. Contact the Gender and Sexuality center for more information or sign up online!
Back Up

The Gender and Sexuality Center has a table at several events during orientation, as well as an evening session for interested students to learn more about the center and LGBTQ issues on campus.
Back Up

Yes, URI’s non-discrimination policy statement prohibits discrimination based on sex, gender identity, and sexual orientaiton. For the complete non-discrimination policy statement, visit: web.uri.edu/affirmativeaction/discrimination.
Back Up

Students who identify as transgender are welcome and encouraged to live authentically in any residence hall on campus. However, URI also offers a Living Learninig Community that specializes in Gender, Equity, and Leadership in Sexuality. The GELS LLC is an inclusive environment where all residents promote a safe space for anyone to live authentically as well as foster social connections and academic initiatives. To learn more, click here. 
Back Up

All Residential Advisors are required to go through the URI Safe Zone workshop during their training.
Back Up

Yes, URI has a student senate recognized Sexuality and Gender Alliance. SAGA promotes equality through activism and through spreading awareness on LGBTQ+ issues.
Back Up

The Gender and Sexuality Center’s Advanced Safe Zone workshop on Spirituality and Religion is focused on exploring identity, social group membership, privilege, oppression, and intersections of spirituality, religion, sexuality, and gender. This offers an opportunity to explore spirituality. There are also many on campus that are very welcoming of LGBTQ students.
Back Up

The URI Gender and Sexuality Center hosts a wide variety of LGBTQ+ events all year long, as well as weeks of almost non-stop events! They host a Coming Out Week, a Trans* Awareness Week, and the LGBTQ+ Symposium, as well as weekly events. Check out more here: web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/get-involved.
Back Up

If you would like to be referred to as something other than your current legal name, we have options for you! To learn more about our name change procedure, visit: web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/resources/transitioning
Back Up

In order to legally change your name, you must first obtain a name change petition and notarize your original copy. Then you need to contact the courts to set up a name change hearing. Court officials will guide you through further steps. Please be aware that this process varies from state to state and this is the process for residents of Rhode Island. For more information, visit this guide: www.wikihow.com/Change-Your-Name-in-Rhode-Island or contact the URI Gender and Sexuality Center for assistance.
Back Up

URI has a transitioning page here: web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/resources/transitioning. Here, you will find resources on URI gender-inclusive restrooms, legal name changes, birth certificate information, IDs, and more.
Back Up

To change your name or gender on your passport, submit form DS-5504 by mail with your current passport, your name change document (original or certified copy), and a color passport photo. You can learn more about this process here: transequality.org/know-your-rights/passports.
Back Up

It depends on your identity or status, but here is a complete guide: transequality.org/issues/resources/selective-service-and-transgender-people. Contact the Gender and Sexuality Center if you need assistance.
Back Up

At the moment, there is not an automatic way to express one’s pronouns. However, we are working diligently to amend this, and anticipate that this will be made an option within the 2017-2018 school year. In the meantime, you can always alert URI staff about your pronouns in person or through their provided emails.
Back Up

Some ways to let professors and/or supervisors know about your gender identity is speak to them during their office hours or contact them through email. Almost all URI professors have their email address listed in the campus directory. However, if you would like further assistance, the Gender and Sexuality Center is happy to reach out and assist on your behalf. For assistance within a group, the Gender and Sexuality Center offers an advanced Safezone (web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/safe-zone) workshop on trans* identities and lives that explores gender and trans* issues from a broad perspective.
Back Up

Here at URI, it is campus policy that all students use restrooms in accordance to their gender identity. Additionally, we are also working towards having gender-inclusive restrooms in all facilities. For a current list of all official gender-inclusive restrooms, visit: web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/restrooms
Back Up

What locker room can I use?

In all locker rooms at URI, the policy is that students should use the locker room that is in accordance with their gender identity. Please visit our fitness facilities or the URI Gender and Sexuality Center for any additional questions.
Back Up

Employees of URI Health Services receive training to ensure that they are able to provide equitable care for students of all identities. Additionally, as of the 2014-2015 school year, URI’s health insurance plan (web.uri.edu/healthservices/insurance-insurance-waiver) covers many gender confirmation procedures. For more information, contact URI Health Services or the URI Gender and Sexuality Center.
Back Up

A great way to meet others and establish support with others who identify similarly is at the URI Gender and Sexuality Center. Here you can meet like-minded people through the URI Gender and Sexuality Center’s support groups and topical series. To find out more about the various groups offered, visit: web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/get-involved.
Back Up

The Gender Equity and Leadership in Sexuality Living Learning Community is an option for LGBTQ+ students and allies who would like to live in a supportive, inclusive environment. Living in GELS gives students the unique opportunity to live with other students who share similar interests in gender, sexuality, and identity. To learn more about the GELS LLC, click here
Back Up

Yes! The Gender Equity and Leadership in Sexuaity Living Learning Community offers housing for students of all identities. Here, it is possible to room with someone of a different gender. Additionally, it may be possible to make arrangements elsewhere, but this is specifically on a case-by-case basis.
Back Up

Yes, it is the policy of Housing and Residential Life at URI that students live in housing in accordance with their gender identity. It is also possible for students of trans* identities to request single rooms. These requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Back Up

Here at URI we embrace diversity, fairness, and respect. If you feel that you are being discriminated against, there are many options to go about addressing this. There are many centers on campus who would be happy to assist, including the The Office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Diversity (web.uri.edu/affirmativeaction), the Gender and Sexuality Center (web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality), the Multicultural Center (web.uri.edu/mcc), and the Women’s Center (web.uri.edu/womenscenter). Additionally, URI has a BIAS Response Team (www.uri.edu/brt) whose goal is to address issues of discrimination on campus.
Back Up

Where do I get support for coming out?

If you seek support for coming out, the Gender and Sexuality Center staff would be happy to help! There, you can find a multitude of resources and friendly faces to help you. The Gender and Sexuality Center also hosts a support group called Come In, Come Out, designed to help those in the process of coming out. The URI Counseling Center is also happy to speak with students about the situations they are facing as well, and all Counseling Center staff have proper training on LGBTQ+ identities.
Back Up

When and where is it okay to come out?

URI values the importance of diversity, fairness and respect, and it is our hope that our community is able to live authentically. However, the process of coming out is on-going, and we suggest you do so only where and when you feel it is safe, comfortable, and an appropriate time to share. If you need help during this process, the URI Gender and Sexuality Center is happy to assist. Additionally, the URI Visibility Project (web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/people/visibility-project) is a place where URI students, faculty and staff are able to come out openly on a public platform. Here, you can see other LGBTQ+ identifying individuals as well as come out publically yourself, if you so desire. It’s a great way to help convey our presence in the community.
Back Up

How do I come out to my roommate?

Coming out to a roomate is a very situational process. Many URI students welcome LGBTQ+ identifying individuals with open arms. However, if you are concerned that this will not be the case, you can always contact the Gender and Sexuality Center to further discuss the situation and the available options and/or speak to one of the residence hall staff.
Back Up

The Gender and Sexuality Center prides itself on providing education, engagement, and support for the URI campus community and beyond. Education programs allow the entire URI community explore concepts related to LGBTQ+ people and issues. Engagement programs provide an opportunity for people to meet and create meaningful relationships with each other. Finally, support programs give students, faculty, and staff a place and time to receive and offer the benefit of community support for whatever issues our community members encounter.
Back Up

No, you do not need to be LGBTQ+ identifying to attend Gender and Sexuality Center sponsored events. Anyone is welcome to attend, including community members.
Back Up

The URI Gender and Sexuality is a great place to socalize with other LGBTQ+ identifying people on campus! Anyone is welcome. There is a lounge for hanging out and relaxing, two reservable spaces for meetings and events, and a quiet consultation room for small groups. Additionally, the Gender and Sexuality Center hosts frequent events (web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/calendar). There are also many great ways to get involved (web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/get-involved) in the community.
Back Up

The Gender and Sexuality Center has an Advanced Safe Zone track for Spirituality and Religion where individuals participate in an interactive and non-judgmental workshop on the intersection of spirituality, religion and LGBTQ+ identities. Learn more about Safe Zone here:web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/safe-zone.
Back Up

A great way to find resources and support in regards to race, ethnicity, and LGBTQ+ identities is the Gender and Sexuality Center’s Advanced Safe Zone workshop on Race and Ethnicity: web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/safe-zone.
Back Up

The URI Alumni Center has an LGBTIQ2 chapter. It’s a great way to stay in touch with the network of LGBTQ+ identifying peers and friends made while at URI. To learn more about the LGBTIQ2 Chapter, please contact the URI Alumni Association. Additionally, community members are welcome at all Gender and Sexuality Center sponsored events.
Back Up

Being an ally is important. At URI we provide a plethora of opprotunities to be a strong ally. The Gender and Sexuality Center offers Safe Zone workshops (web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/safe-zone) for those who wish to become more knowledgeable about LGBTQ+ identities and issues. Another great way to show support is to come to the many Gender and Sexuality Center sponsored events throughout the school year. To learn more, visit: web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/calendar.
Back Up

If you would like to learn how to properly educate others about LGBTQ+ identities and issues, you can attend the Advanced Safe Zone Facilitator workshop: web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/safe-zone. It is a workshop designed to appropriately teach individuals how to inform others about the LGBTQ+ community.
Back Up

What can I do if my class, living situation, and/or job is not knowledgeable about the LGBTQ+ community and/or my identities?

If the people in your life are not well informed about the LGBTQ+ community or your identities, URI has an avenue to address this. You can use the Safe Zone program to inform those in your life about the LGBTQ+ community. Additionally, it’s possible to tailor fit a workshop to any circumstances. To learn more, visit web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/safe-zone or contact the URI Gender and Sexuality Center.
Back Up

If you need support due to any issue regarding your identity, there are a number of options provided by URI. At the Gender and Sexuality Center, there are resources, support groups, and staff available for assistance. Additionally, as a URI student, your tuition covers sessions at the URI Counseling Center (web.uri.edu/counseling). All URI counsellors have been through at least two Gender and Sexuality Center sponsored Safe Zone workshops.
Back Up

Faculty and Staff

The URI Visibility Project is a space where members of the URI LGBTQ+ community are able to disclose their identity and support in a public fashion. It’s an opportunity for the community to come together and connect, network, and inspire. For more information, visit our site at web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/people/visibility-project/
Back Up

If you are experiencing hostility, contact the HR (Violence) Affirmative Action Ehtics Hotline at web.uri.edu/adminfinance/internalaudit/ethics-hotline-faq or Affirmative Action at web.uri.edu/affirmativeaction/discrimination. You may also contact the Gender and Sexuality Center at 401-874-2894. If it is emergency, please contact 911 or the Campus Police at 874-2121.
Back Up

To legally change your name and/or gender in the state of Rhode Island, follow the processes described here: web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/trans-resources.
Back Up

URI has a variety of resources for those experiencing transition or gender confirmation. The Gender and Sexuality Center has a multitiude of resources for anyone and would be happy to help. Additionally, faculty and staff at URI Health Services and the Counselling Center have been through multiple Safe Zone trainings and aim to meet the needs of the URI Community.
Back Up

Yes. They follow the state protections in RI.
Back Up

There are many different ways to let students know you are LGBTQ+ affirming. One possible way is to use gender inclusive language. If your introduction includes your preferred pronouns, it helps students within the LGBTQ+ comminuty to recognize you as an ally and feel safe in sharing their own preferences. Additionally, the URI Visibility Project aims to be a public space where all members of the URI community can show their support for LGBTQ+ identifying individuals.
Back Up

Back Up

The President’s LGBTQ Commission has hosted a gathering for folks in the past and plans to continue to do so. There are also a number of organizations in RI.
Back Up

The Gender and Sexuality Center, the President’s LGBTQ Commission, and the Office of Community, Equity, and Diversity are all great resources for discussion surrounding LGBTQ+ issues.
Back Up

If you would like to talk to someone about LGBTQ+ topics, the Gender and Sexuality Center would be happy to meet with you. Here you can take part in a weekly Convo Group about LGBTQ+ topics or meet with staff to have personal one-on-ones. For more information, call us at 401-874-2894.
Back Up

Safezone workshops (web.uri.edu/gender-sexuality/safe-zone) are a way to help learn and spread positive information on LGBTQ+ identities and issues. They are available for students, faculty, staff, and visitors, and can be tailored for any class or organization. Contact the Gender and Sexuality center for more information!
Back Up

The best way to get involved in LGBTQ+ initiatives on campus is to attend events held by the Gender and Sexuality Center. There, you can network with individuals of all identities and experiences, as well as bring your own. Attending Safe Zone and Trans* Identities and Lives workshops can have a great impact.
Back Up

Where should I refer students for LGBTQ+ consultation?

Students who are in need of LGBTQ+ consultation have two great resources on campus: The Gender and Sexuality Center and the URI Counselling Center. At both of these departments, students may meet with staff for one-on-ones to discuss anything they need to consult on. Faculty and staff in each department would be happy to help in any way they can.
Back Up

Office of Community Equity and Diversity Links

The University of Rhode Island
Think Big, We Do.
A-ZDirectoryContact UsJump to top