Emily Gamache ’24

Hometown: Litchfield, NH 

Specialization: Health Services 

Why did you come to URI? 

I chose URI because I fell in love with the environment and quad when touring. I loved how close the beach was, and the idea of living in a beach house was so exciting. The community truly felt like home. This was the first college I toured, and no others could compare to it. 

What surprised you most about URI?

The biggest surprise about URI for me was the opportunities and experiences I would have throughout my college career, but even more so right at the start of my education. I have also loved being involved, but the community here encouraged me to get out there and continues pushing me outside of my comfort zone to be a better person overall. 

What advice do you have for Health Studies majors?

To build strong connections with your professors. They are truly there to assist you throughout your college career and into your career. Once you start taking your major courses, you realize the community you have within Health Studies and that everyone is there to help you succeed. 

What do you consider to be the greatest strength of Health Studies?

The greatest strength of Health Studies is the fact that it is extremely versatile. I feel as though you can explore different career paths while still following the Health Studies curriculum. This was very helpful for me because originally, I wanted to go on a clinical route, but when I found my passion for project management within the health field the courses never let me fall behind, and I was able to consider different opportunities while still getting my education. 

What extracurricular and experiential learning opportunities did you have at URI?

I had many different extracurricular and experiential opportunities at URI throughout these past three years. I have held positions as Campus Chair and VP of the Student Senate. I have also sat on many different committees within the University and worked to help plan and execute the current President’s Inauguration at the University. I have also been a URI 101 mentor, TA for Psychology courses, and have also held exec positions within my Sorority, which I am a founding member of. All of these positions and opportunities have built me into the person I am today and have allowed me to get to know myself and others in and outside of the classroom.

What’s next for you?

This summer, I will be interning at Lonza, which is a biotech and pharma company. I will be focusing on project management and working within a team to bring new ideas and projects to the company. I couldn’t be more excited to hold this position and have it be based around health care. Following my internship, I will be entering my senior year at URI and cannot wait for what the future holds.