F-1 and J-1 Students

A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States, generally, must first obtain a U.S. visa. The visa is stamped in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship. Depending on the proposed goals of the applicant (enroll in a degree program as a degree or non-degree visiting student), the applicant will be issued an F-1 or J-1 visa.

The University of Rhode Island Office of International Students and Scholars issue I-20 documents leading to the F1 visa to applicants planning to attend URI as fully matriculated student in a degree or certificate program approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program/SEVP.It also issues DS-2019 documents leading to the J-1 Visa that will be used by international applicants seeking to matriculate full-time in a degree program or in a non-degree program that will fulfill the educational objectives for the student’s degree program in his or her home country.

F-1 visa, visit: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/study-exchange/student.html
J-1 Students: http://j1visa.state.gov/programs/college-and-university-student

  • SEVIS Transfer Definition and Process A “transfer” of a J-1 SEVIS record from one educational institution in the US to another, in order to continue in F-1 and/or J-1 status. When transferring a SEVIS record to URI, follow the steps below: Visit your current US international office and request a transfer of your SEVIS file to the OISS.

    • Complete Part I of the URI transfer-in form and submit it to the international student office at your current school.  Your current school international student adviser must email the completed form to our office.
    • Submit financial documents, biographical passport page, admission and/or invitation letter to the OISS/URI.

    The OISS will electronically accesses your SEVIS record and create an I-20/DS-2019 on the transfer date requested by you.  In addition to completing these steps, follow all other steps indicated in the International Admission Webpage according you your degree level or visiting student category SEVIS Transfer during OPT You are eligible to transfer your status to URI as long as your classes here start within 5 months of the end date of your current program or OPT end date. You are considered a SEVIS transfer student, if you are:

    • Currently at another U.S. school (high school or secondary), college or university on OPT or AT , or will be studying in an English as a Second Language program before coming to the University of Rhode Island,
      • If you are finishing OPT, you can transfer your SEVIS record during the 60 day grace period following OPT;
      • If you are finishing AT, you can transfer your SEVIS record during the 30 day grace period following AT to begin a new academic program.
    • You do not have to depart and re-enter the U.S. in between your programs if you are a SEVIS transfer student;
    • You do not have to pay the SEVIS fee again;
    • You are eligible for on-campus employment at URI once you receive your I-20 or DS-2019 from our office.

    Please note The OISS cannot issue a new DS-2019 until your SEVIS record has been electronically transferred from your previous institution to URI and the release date indicated on the transfer-in form has been reached.

    • E-mail issoff@etal.uri.edu to confirm that the OISS has received the transfer-in form
    • All SEVIS transfer research scholars and professors MUST REPORT to the OISS as soon as they reach the Kingston campus.
  • Follow these steps.
Think Big We Do

Copyright © 2018 University of Rhode Island.