For information on contributing to the financial support of the University Libraries, please see The Fund for URI.
Donating Books to the Libraries
The University Libraries encourage the donation of gift books and other materials to enhance our collections.
Factors to be considered in the acceptance/rejection decision include: inherent value, relationship to the curricula, research interests, collections of the University, donor restrictions, and the capability to process the materials.
While exceptions may be made, in general the Libraries only accept monographs (hardback or paperback, or disc). The Libraries do not accept gifts of serials (magazines, journals) without prior approval due to space limitations and preference for accessing serials in online format.
Once materials have been donated, they become the property of the URI Libraries, and the Libraries reserve the right to dispose of unwanted gifts by means of discarding/recycling, transfer to other libraries, and sale.
The Libraries will verify the quantity of books donated but will not assess their value. All gifts will be acknowledged by the Dean of Libraries.
For more information, please consult our Gift Policy (2006, Rev. 2011) [.pdf].
- Materials must be dropped off at the Libraries. Only in exceptional circumstances are the Libraries able to arrange for pick-up of donations.
- Donations may be accepted by any staff member. The staff member will fill out the Donated Books Form [.pdf]. This form may be downloaded here.
- A photocopy of the filled-out form is given to the donor.
- The original of the form is sent to the Dean’s office, Executive Assistant so that a letter of acknowledgement can be sent to the donor in a timely manner.
- The donated material should be sent to the Shipping/Receiving area. The Gifts Librarian, with the assistance of the Storekeeper, will unpack and locate gifts on designated shelving.
Please direct any questions to Collection Management Officer Joanna Burkhardt at email@example.com / 401-277-5133 or 401-874-4799.