Prospective Students

Are you interested in applying to the Clinical Psychology doctoral programs?

Do you have an interest in health disparities related to substance use among marginalized and underserved populations?

Interested and want to hear more about our lab? Join us for an open house! We want to meet you, let you get to know us, and answer any questions you have!

For the 2023-2024 application season (2024 matriculation), we will be hosting two virtual open houses on September 14 at 5:30pm EST and October 24 at 7:00pm EST. Members of marginalized and underrepresented groups are encouraged to attend. Please RSVP for one or both of the open houses.

If you have any questions, please email uripaths-group@uri.edu.

We look forward to meeting you!

Frequently Asked Questions

Will you be accepting a new PhD student to begin in Fall 2024?
Yes.

What is your social media?
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter

What conferences does the PATHS Lab usually attend?
Research Society on Alcoholism (RSA), American Psychological Association (APA – Division 50), Collaborative Perspectives on Addiction (CPA), Association of Behavioral Cognitive Therapies (ABCT), and Native Children’s Research Exchange (NCRE). 

How do I know if I’m a “good fit” for the PATHS Lab?

• Passionate about substance use and health disparity research
  • Strong teamwork skills with the ability to be self-motivated
  • Committed to DEI efforts and building a career serving minoritized communities through research efforts

What qualifications are you looking for in an applicant?
A good applicant will have significant research experience and a passion for doing research in the future. Research history does not have to be topically related to the research you want to do, but the ideal candidate will demonstrate transferable research skills and general proficiency. Generally, successful applicants have good written and verbal skills, as well as research products (e.g. posters, manuscripts, presentations).

My undergraduate GPA is below 3.5 – will this remove me from consideration?
No. Many factors can influence one’s GPA, including competing commitments (e.g., working part-time while in school), family obligations, and health challenges. Academic achievement is very important, but context is, too. If you believe your GPA does not reflect your potential as a future scientist, please (1) ask one of your recommenders to share more about your circumstances to help me holistically assess your achievements, or (2) provide this information in your personal statement.

Are there any other ‘screening criteria’ you use to review applications?
No; all applications that list Dr. Spillane as a PI are reviewed. 

Should I email you to express my interest in applying to your lab?
We welcome emails from students who have alreadyreviewed Dr. Spillane’s faculty profile, recent work, and the PATHS Lab website. However, an email will have no bearing on admissions decisions. If you have a question for the graduate students, please email uripathslab@gmail.com.

What should I include in my personal statement?

• A clear statement of your general research interests and how they relate to our lab’s mission and work
  • A clear statement of why you are interested in our lab, in particular, versus other labs that study substance use and health disparities
  • A statement about your career goals (even if they are approximate/might change, it is helpful to see your thinking!)
  • Discussions of your independent research experience(s) and what you learned from them. In these discussions, I suggest emphasizing (1) the skills you developed from working on each project (e.g., data collection in Qualtrics; coding/running analyses; interviewing participants; writing certain sections of a paper; submitting/presenting a poster), and (2) what your “takeaways” were from the project—e.g., new research ideas or questions your work inspired.
  • Make sure you get as many people as possible to look at your statement!

I am interested in becoming a therapist and/or incorporating clinical practice into my future career. I’ve heard that mentioning this in my application will hurt my admissions chances. Is this true?
The PATHS Lab is a research-focused lab. The University of Rhode Island provides a wealth of clinical experiences, but Dr. Spillane is best suited to mentor students who are primarily interested in research careers, or whose career trajectory will include at least some research.

My own experiences with mental health problems (eg. my own, a friend’s, or a relative’s) shaped my current interests. I have been told not to mention this in my personal statement. Is this true?
Dr. Spillane is aware that life experiences shape our career interests, trajectories, and goals in meaningful ways. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging intersections between our “human” and “scientific” selves. In fact, lived experience with psychopathology and/or mental health challenges has the potential to strengthen your work as a clinical scientist. However, personal/lived experiences of mental health challenges should not be the sole focus of your personal statement. Your research interests, experiences, goals, and “fit” to your prospective lab and program are most helpful when reviewing your application.

What is your mentorship style/what expectations do you have for PhD students?
Dr. Spillane’s mentorship style is open, collaborative, and personable. She takes a developmental approach: newer students meet frequently with Dr. Spillane, and as they acclimate to the lab, they are expected to be more independent. It is important to Dr. Spillane that she takes a holistic approach to mentoring in which she supports her students in both academic, personal, and professional development. The PATHS Lab uses a hierarchical approach, where senior students mentor junior students. The PATHS Lab meets frequently and Dr. Spillane is always available. 

What about the GRE? How important are my scores?
You don’t need to submit GRE scores to apply to URI’s Clinical Psychology program. GRE testing introduces bias and is not predictive of academic success, thus, the program does not consider scores for admission.

What are your current projects?
Please refer to this page on our website.

I want to apply, but traveling to Rhode Island for an on-campus interview would be burdensome and/or exceptionally difficult for me. What should I do?
It hasn’t been announced yet if interviews for Fall 2023 will be virtual. In general, if traveling for interviews will create financial hardship, please let us know and we will help to coordinate resources. If all fails, virtual interviews are always an option. 

I want to apply, but the application fee would create real hardship for me. What should I do?

• You can fill out this information
  • If you’re having difficulty navigating this, please email us at uripathslab@gmail.com and we can help assist you.

What is the process of earning authorship in the PATHS Lab?
The PATHS Lab prioritizes collaboration, so paper topics are presented at weekly lab meetings and students are encouraged to volunteer. 

How does the PATHS Lab support DEI efforts?
​In addition to our research with American Indian, mixed race, African American, and Native Hawaiian communities, Dr. Spillane is committed to mentoring and facilitating the careers of underrepresented students. We also use our social media to speak out against injustice, and our students are active in organizations like the Inclusion and Diversity Committee, the Students of Color Meetings, the Multicultural Consultation Team, and Psychin’ Out. The PATHS Lab frequently engages in discussion and training to evaluate our efforts in order to better serve our students and communities.