Alan Shawn Feinstein College of Education and Professional Studies

80 Washington Street, Providence, RI 02903 – 401.277.5000

Using VA Education Benefits at URI

Most degree and non-degree programs at the University of Rhode Island are approved for those who qualify for veterans educational benefits. Students should complete VA Form 22-1990 to apply for VA educational benefits for the first time. Please keep in mind that new applications can take approximately 8-12 weeks to process. Allow an adequate amount of time for the paperwork to be processed before the beginning of the term you wish to attend.

If you have previously received benefits while attending another institution, you must complete a Request for Change of Program of Place of Training (VA Form 22-1995) or Request for Change of Program or Place of Training Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (VA Form 22-5495). If you are a dependent of a disabled or deceased veteran, you must complete an Application for Survivors and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (VA Form 22-5490).

The Veterans’ Office at the Providence campus can assist students to choose which program best meets their individual needs, as well as assist with questions about veteran’s education benefits, post-deployment transition issues and transfer credits. The staff also acts as a liaison between students and other campus departments.

Students using their veterans’ educational benefits must complete a Veteran’s certification worksheet each semester when using VA educational benefits. Students must also immediately report any changes in their schedule to the URI VA certifying official such as adds/drops/ withdrawals or if they stop attending the classes for any reason. Failure to do so may result in an overpayment. The student will be required to pay back the money they were paid for non-attendance.

Please notify Enrollment Services/VA with any changes that may occur such as:

  • Change from non-matriculated status
  • Change of majors
  • Change to/from double majors
  • Prior approval for off-campus studies
  • When you receive an Incomplete, NR or NW grade
  • When an incomplete, NW, NR grade is completed
  • Drop under full time, if certified full time*
  • Drop under part time, if certified part time*
  • Leave of Absence
  • Withdrawal
  • Dismissal

* Drop under full time/part time, you must supply the VA rep with a letter (on dept. letterhead) from the class professor stating your last day of attendance to avoid further penalty.

Advance Pay

If you do not take any coursework in August, you may request advance pay. This is an option whereby the VA will issue a check for September and October (a little less than two months pay) and forward it to the Office of Enrollment Services for you to pick up shortly before classes begin. The idea here is that you may need some up-front cash for books, tuition, etc. Keep in mind, however, that if you elect this option, you will not receive another check until mid-December. That check will be for November attendance. If you choose this option, sign for it on the bottom of the worksheet.

However, advance pay will only be authorized if you have not received benefits for at least a 30-day period before classes begin. We need to have your certification in the mail by July 1 to allow the VA time to process your advance pay request.

Verifying Attendance

Those using Chapter 30, 1607 and 1606 once you certified for your benefits, must verify enrollment with the VA at the end of each calendar month before you will receive you payment for that month. To verify enrollment, go to the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or call 1-877-823-2378.

Think Big We Do

Copyright © 2018 University of Rhode Island.